Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Spokane - living there?

Anyone?

Thinking of applying for a job in Spokane and relocating. Sure I could google and find some website about “life in Spokane,” but why do the prudent, responsible thing when I can get the dentist’s perspective.

Anyone live there? Anyone live there...and actually want to stay there? Want to GTFO but is stuck? Tips? Pointers? Anything?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Yes, I've lived in Spokane nearly all my life. I made the mistake of moving to Houston for a job when I was in my twenties but was back in seven months. I love it here but, like all places, has some drawbacks. For recreation, I think it's pretty awesome. Four seasons, great lakes around the area, five ski areas within two hours, not to mention Red Mountain and White Water in 2.5 and 3 hours, respectively. River rafting and kayaking 10 minutes from downtown, fun mountain biking about 15 minutes from downtown in Riverside State Park. The town has about 210,000 population while the greater metro is about 500,000. No real traffic issues, cost of living is quite reasonable, downtown is pretty vibrant compared to the old days. It's not a big city so lacks in high-end pro sports teams but has a decent hockey team and baseball team (feeder for the Texas Rangers). What specifically do you want to know?

Spokane - living there?

Not sure. Just a general vibe of the place. I don’t like big cities and don’t care that much about seeing pro sports in person.

I love Mtn biking, so that’s good to know. Can you road bike without being murdered or traveling on the interstate?

I’d prolly live in an apt for a few months-1 year before buying a house...anywhere to look? Anywhere to avoid?

Of those ski areas, where do you go? What’s best? Why? I’m kinda interested in Silver bc it looks cool, but I’m very willing to forego absolute vert and high-speed quads for low key, low attended mtns.

Don’t need much night life as I’m kind of a loner....but don’t mind a beer or 6 every so often. Any hot spots for local brews?

And, I’d NEVER make the mistake of moving to Houston....fuuuuuuck that place!!!

I always say Spokane has a whole bunch of pretty good stuff, but nothing great.. which is kinda great in itself..

Got meth?

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Not sure. Just a general vibe of the place. I don’t like big cities and don’t care that much about seeing pro sports in person.
    It's really changed over the past 3-5 years. With WSU having designated Spokane as its Health Sciences campus, the start of a new med school, placement of the pharmacy school, and enhanced nursing program, the entire core area is changing substantially in a very good way. There's a much more cool vibe than there used to be and we're growing fairly rapidly compared to the past. Someone down below made the comment, "Got meth?" which used to be a bigger problem than it is now but, that is one of the downsides. There still is a fair amount of poverty, drug-related crime, etc. but not that hard to avoid. Homelessness (not unlike Seattle and some of the other places the cool kids like to brag about) is an issue. Overall, though, the meth problem, while still here, isn't as bad as it once was and is pretty avoidable.

I love Mtn biking, so that’s good to know. Can you road bike without being murdered or traveling on the interstate?
    Yes, I've been a roadie for 30+ years and have only been taken out once Seriously, though, the road riding is pretty prevalent and good here. Contact some local bike clubs for more info. I actually don't road ride anymore but have friends who I could involve you with if you want to go.

I’d prolly live in an apt for a few months-1 year before buying a house...anywhere to look? Anywhere to avoid?
    Yes, some places to avoid. Probably best to plan on spending a month at an extended stay and check things out for yourself, then decide.

Of those ski areas, where do you go? What’s best? Why? I’m kinda interested in Silver bc it looks cool, but I’m very willing to forego absolute vert and high-speed quads for low key, low attended mtns.
    I have a place at Schweitzer and have skied there for 28 years, 23 before that at Mt. Spokane. For what you describe, Silver would be a good choice. No high-speed, not many crowds, typically good snow, pretty low-key.

Don’t need much night life as I’m kind of a loner....but don’t mind a beer or 6 every so often. Any hot spots for local brews?
    There's a number of breweries/brew pubs all around. Lots of good choices. Local favorite is No-Li, close to downtown and some great beers.

And, I’d NEVER make the mistake of moving to Houston....fuuuuuuck that place!!!
    Young and dumb... Had another chance to move there and absolutely turned it down. When we came back to Spokane, it's like I told my wife, we're putting lifestyle as a priority over career. As it turned out, both have been great so it was never a mistake to come back but would be to leave again. I'm not going anywhere, I think Spokane is just about perfect for me.

Thanks man...super good info!

Where are currently ? Spokane is a small town, very middle America. Cost of living is low but limited in most city type activities but tons of outdoor activities all within an hour. I have spent time there but can't see myself living there.

I love Spokane. Way more my style than Seattle but never lived there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's got its own hashtag. #spokanedoesntsuck

My aunt and uncle live on Newman Lake and I have a few friends who all seem to enjoy it there. It's definitely a step up from Delaware. Pretty good sport climbing close by as well.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 07-28-2018 at 08:01 AM.

I lived there in the late 90s and really liked it. I always tell myself that if I was going to move back to a "big city" (compared to where I live now) it would be Spook-a-loo.

Two thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Thanks man...super good info!

You're welcome. If you have other questions or want more specific info, let me know. What kind of job are you looking at and with who? You can PM me, if that's important. Having lived here for many, many years and having been in business here for most of those years, I think I may know everyone in town.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I lived there in the late 90s and really liked it. I always tell myself that if I was going to move back to a "big city" (compared to where I live now) it would be Spook-a-loo.

Two thumbs up!
    That would be Spoke-a-loo, if you catch the pronunciation...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    That would be Spoke-a-loo, if you catch the pronunciation...
    Arrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! Was watching some professional sports show on TV (maybe a Zags game. GO ZAGS!) and the announcer said "Spo-KANE" Ugh.

So, you know everyone do you? How about Russell Vanderwilde?

Went to high school there and a bit as an adult.

Road biking is outstanding. They used to hold the nationals and olympic trials there.

Mountain biking by is super fun as well, especially w a drive.

Good climbing

Social scene is way more vibrant than it used to be.

I love skiing at Mt Spokane. Trees are outstanding but the snow can be hit or miss. The surrounding area (Schweitzer, Silver, red, whitewater etc) are all great.

Cost of living is cheap.

Lots of worse places to live.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Arrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! Was watching some professional sports show on TV (maybe a Zags game. GO ZAGS!) and the announcer said "Spo-KANE" Ugh.

Jeremy Spokane.

Spokane.

Jeremy Spokane.

Class today.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I lived in Lewiston/Moscow, ID for a little while and took a few trips up to CDA and Spokane. I like that area! CDA is obviously really pretty (really crowded though with California people) so I'd rather live in Spokane given the option. Northern Idaho near Sandpoint and Bonner's Ferry is awesome for biking/skiing/hunting/fishing and not far from BC. The drive east towards the Bitterroots and you have great skiing, hiking, hot springs, and fishing for days. A buddy of mine grew up in Spokane and has said it's changed a ton since he was a kid when there were really bad drug problems. Another good friend/coworker has lived in CDA for the past 5-6 years and in that time has seen the overall area noticeably grew. He's actually thinking about selling his house and moving out given the living costs are skyrocketing (in CDA, probably not so much in Spokane). Personally, that area in Washington and northern ID is a bit far from any major civilization for my taste nowadays but then again Spokane is the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis...

I live in Spokane and it’s not too bad. It does get hot and dry in summer compare to Seattle, but aside from that, I like Spokane.

Property crimes are something you should look out for like any other cities.

Driving distance to many awesome places and backyard isn’t too bad.

I think Russ was a year behind me in school. We're talking the ortho, right? Friends have used him, great shoulder guy.

Same boat as you amigo! Grew up in Seattle. Spent 3 years in Denver for med school. Just accepted a job as a PA out in Spokane and I am closing in on 3 weeks being out here.
    So far freaking love it — great craft brewery scene. 15 min will put you anywhere in town with no traffic. Super dog friendly. Have sampled the goods in the Spokane river and there are some really nice browns with a smattering of other regional trout with rainbows being the norm. As said before great trails <1 hr. Haven’t experienced winters yet but I’m pumped looks like we get more snow than Denver and cold weather doesn’t scare us off.

As far as vibe with WSUs medical school going in that is attracting faculty and quite a lot of the ancillary staff that it takes to run a med school. So from what I hear this place is changing quickly and in a good way. Sure there are drugs... what city doesn’t have that. The flavor here is meth... eh. Dare I say gentrification will push that further out of the city limits and heroin will replace it inside the city.

Just 3 weeks in but excited to possibly put down roots here.

/\ /\ Hey! Shoot me an emai. Let's go for coffee.

Spokane is a very nice small city with good access to outdoor stuff. +1 to all the positive comments on this thread. Best o' luck with the job search.

/\ /\ Hey! Shoot me an emai. Let's go for coffee.
    Sent haha

OP what industry are you looking to work in?

I think Russ was a year behind me in school. We're talking the ortho, right? Friends have used him, great shoulder guy.
    Yup. Russ is the best.

BTW - we forgot "Spokvegas"