Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Ny son just was accepted into Gonzaga Law School. He is seriously considering it. Lots of good reasons study there.
    Congrats!! That’s gotta feel good for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    It is his first notification. $100K scholarship (One of the "good" reasons!

He is a musician. Undergrad he studied music business and jazz piano at Univ. Miami. His focus is intellectual property and entertainment law.
    Congrats! Spokane has a little local hill that's actually pretty fun to ski with a bit of sidecountry. Good mountain biking. So there is that.

Lots of meth and hookers too. So there is that; too.

At least he won't be a medical malpractice attorney prosecuting physicians. So there is that as well.

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Kicking the tires on Spokane myself, since I seem to be priced out of Bellingham. I may be priced out of Spokane too though, we'll see. I've done a bunch of Schweitzer trips over the years and am a fan; seems like it's a good jumping off spot for road biking and hiking, so it would likely be an upgrade from Portland as far as outdoors - things are getting way too crowded here.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Kicking the tires on Spokane myself, since I seem to be priced out of Bellingham. I may be priced out of Spokane too though, we'll see. I've done a bunch of Schweitzer trips over the years and am a fan; seems like it's a good jumping off spot for road biking and hiking, so it would likely be an upgrade from Portland as far as outdoors - things are getting way too crowded here.
    There are still things to be had. I wouldn’t give up hope if you’re willing to come out here. What industry do you work in?

Totally agree on PDX crowds limiting real access to the outdoors. Spokane is still pretty great for that. Nothing here is world-class but what’s here is pretty good and world-class everything (skiing, biking, climbing, rafting, etc) is all within half a day drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Nothing here is world-class but what’s here is pretty good and world-class everything (skiing, biking, climbing, rafting, etc) is all within half a day drive.
    "Spokane: The Gateway for Great Road Trips to Somewhere Better"

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Fact. Quick drive to powder highway. Etc. .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Heh. That would be a great motto for Helena too. Also its salvation.

Spokane - living there?

Indeed!
    Lists of places that aren’t spokane but you can get there easily:

90 mins to four different ski areas
    2 hours to WA wine country
    3 hours to KQ/Bluewood
    3 hours to Whitewater/KPASS/Red Mtn
    4 hours to the better side of the Cascade crest
    4.5 hours to Glacier
    6 hours to Banff
    7 hours to Revy

And in town there’s pretty darn good mtb, trail running, hiking, rafting, breweries, a symphony, several good music/event venues.

Shit I should ask the City tourism department for a job.

I just saw an article recently that was basically about exactly that. Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is. Spokane, the next affordable city, is too expensive:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/b...ve-cities.html

Indeed!

3 hours to KQ/Bluewood
    4.5 hours to Glacier
    6 hours to Banff
    7 hours to Revy

And in town there’s pretty darn good mtb, trail running, hiking, rafting, breweries, a symphony, several good music/event venues.

Hahaha shhhhh, didn’t everyone get the memo, Spokane STILL sucks.

I hear bend is great.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lest you all forget, it's only 90 minutes from the Stanford of the inland northwest too.

Cougar Gold cheese in every grocery store.

No need for free lead testing of your tap water.

Hasn't been featured on Cops in at least a few years.

Hoopfest is dope.

There are still things to be had. I wouldn’t give up hope if you’re willing to come out here. What industry do you work in?

Totally agree on PDX crowds limiting real access to the outdoors. Spokane is still pretty great for that. Nothing here is world-class but what’s here is pretty good and world-class everything (skiing, biking, climbing, rafting, etc) is all within half a day drive.
    Since the pandemic changed everything, I'm now one of those assholes with a job that I can do remote. As of the end of last year, there were still appealing houses in our price range, but now that we're actually looking more seriously, listings have dried up. I'm assuming there will be more hitting the market as we get into spring.

WSUs motto: “Don’t coug it”.
    Spokane is played out.
    Yakima is where it’s at. An hour to White Pass.

Climbing in Tieton. Goat Rocks Wilderness. Mt. Adams. Hood River. Wine country. All nearby.

And I will take Yakima Mexican gang bangers over Spokane white trash Meth tweakers any day. Those vatos have aunties who make great Birria and they don’t shoot you unless you’re trying to move into their territory.

Here you go Dan PDX. This house could use a paint job and a new fence but its definitely a nice price.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...23677679_zpid/

Quote Originally Posted by eleeskiing View Post
    WSUs motto: “Don’t coug it”.
    Spokane is played out.
    Yakima is where it’s at. An hour to White Pass.

Climbing in Tieton. Goat Rocks Wilderness. Mt. Adams. Hood River. Wine country. All nearby.

And I will take Yakima Mexican gang bangers over Spokane white trash Meth tweakers any day. Those vatos have aunties who make great Birria and they don’t shoot you unless you’re trying to move into their territory.
    It is surprising Spokane has very little decent Mexican food. I always stop somewhere in Wenatchee on my way to Leavenworth and am amazed and how much better it is. I’m sure Yakima is also great.

that’s pretty much how i describe it; most of the time i can still squeak around town avoiding traffic but if you move here for that yer gonna be disappointed in the next few years - it’s not like we’ve been learning from Seattle

It is surprising Spokane has very little decent Mexican food. I always stop somewhere in Wenatchee on my way to Leavenworth and am amazed and how much better it is. I’m sure Yakima is also great.
    If you are ever heading through Yakima, take a 10 minute detour and head to Tieton. Great little town with the best Mexican food.
    https://www.mightytieton.com/

https://m.yelp.com/biz/fernando-mexican-food-tieton

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Lest you all forget, it's only 90 minutes from the Stanford of the inland northwest too.

Cougar Gold cheese in every grocery store.

No need for free lead testing of your tap water.

Hasn't been featured on Cops in at least a few years.

Hoopfest is dope.
    harvard of the palouse

ferdinand’s ftw

cops is on its way back, to Ozzie’s delight

white men can jump

Quote Originally Posted by eleeskiing View Post
    Here you go Dan PDX. This house could use a paint job and a new fence but its definitely a nice price.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...23677679_zpid/
    That price history is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    That price history is hilarious.

Good eye, a real roller coaster! That house is pretty cool on the outside, too bad they stripped out all the character inside.

Spokane - living there?

Good eye, a real roller coaster! That house is pretty cool on the outside, too bad they stripped out all the character inside.
    Built in 1874 too, so probably haunted.

Indeed!

3 hours to KQ/Bluewood
    4.5 hours to Glacier
    6 hours to Banff
    7 hours to Revy

FWIW, about 12-15 years ago, we did a 30 minute show that aired on 325 cable and network channels around the country that focused on Spokane as a hub and launch point for these kinds of things. It was a reduced program from what we pitched as I wanted to do an hour show titled "All in a day's drive" with the idea of building it around all the activities you listed. We had very limited response for sponsorship so cut it to the 30 minutes and focused it on skiing, mostly the closer areas. I'd link the show but only have it on DVD so can't but, suffice to say, the purse strings are pretty tunnel-visioned when it comes to promotion of this nature. Hunting and fishing are outdoor activities, the things you listed are 'extreme' and not worthy of their attention, apparently. You won't be getting any job offers from the City's tourism group based on your ideas, sorry to say.

You'd have to think any city leadership with half a brain has completely put the brakes on any "attract people and companies to our community" efforts. With remote work that shit is long gone and not needed. Montana politicians in particular are so blind to what's going on. Attracting people to grow your community is so 2018. Same thing for tourism. Need to figure out more ways to scare people away, not bring them in.

If you Google ‘why does Spokane suck’, Quora has some fun answers.

I was 14 when i first stepped foot in Spokane. Arrived via a grey hound bus from Wenatchee, WA. Standing at the top of the stairs at the station over looking the grassy park area adjacent of the bus station i witnessed two bums have some sort of a knife fight. Nobody was hurt before the police showed up. They slowly circled each other with knives in their hands as a female hopped around screaming and yelling. It was right then and there i decided that i loved this city. I hadn’t even been there for 20 minutes before i fell in love. Been in love ever since. 2 of my kids have been born here. Now this is just a rumor but i was told that every time a child is born here, a pothole is formed. Think about that the next time you hit 10 potholes trying to avoid 1. This place is perfect.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

If anyone knows of any nice apts/houses for rent near downtown, the universities or Kendall Yards, let me know. Aug. 1 move in
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix