Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    For those, like me, who knows what they want and have been around enough to compare, this place is great. But it's not for everyone. If you want the big city life, traffic, high prices, liftlines, crowded lakes and forests, Spokane isn't for you so please, stay away.
    This^

I’ve been here 15yrs and no plans to leave.

^by all means, please stay put. I do “know” Spokane and it’s a trap of convenient mediocrity. If you want to ski, it OK but nothing special. Other stuff, it’s OK but nothing special. Get somewhere else that has something special and you’ll wonder what took you so long to leave. But you’re right, that is not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So, how old were you when you left Spokane? How long ago? If you left for college, you were probably about 18. From the time you could really start to have any appreciation for activities that you currently enjoy, you were probably about 12. That's six years to draw your conclusions regarding the area and all those six years, you were still a kid. Hard to create a strong, informed judgment from that short amount of time. Also, things may not be quite what they were when you did live here so, considering that, it's hard to form a credible opinion regarding what it may be now compared to your impressions from when you lived here.

Maybe you were older when you left and had a bit more than six years experience but, probably not much more. Things have changed considerably in even just the last five years. The mountains aren't any bigger but the areas have all had improvements. Did you back country when you lived in this area? Considering Red Mountain, which most people agree is excellent skiing is only 2.5 hours away, there should be enough to keep you interested. The more local areas aren't gnarly rad but they're fun with plenty of open mountain space for back country, if you're into that. I back country out the gates at Schweitzer and there's plenty to keep a person entertained. Again, there's a whole lot more here than many people are even aware of. But, suit yourself; bitch about how shitty Spokane and stick around B'ham if you really think it's all that special. The problem with having that place with 'something special' is that the one thing tends to be the only thing and is one dimensional. I've been to many places that have 'something special' and have enjoyed it but I never find myself wanting to move there once I consider all the other things I would be missing out on.

You call it convenient mediocrity, I call it entertaining variety without the crowds, expense, or other deterrents to having a great time, no matter the conditions. You can always visit somewhere with 'something special' but even that can become boring if there's no other something specials to keep you excited to be there. We're not even discussing the availability of jobs, in-town entertainment, or other aspects of living somewhere that most people deem to be somewhat important. To each their own but, go ahead, rank all you want on Spokane. Just don't bother to come back if you hate it that much. The rest of us will take advantage of your absence and have just one more fresh track on a powder day.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
    ^by all means, please stay put. I do “know” Spokane and it’s a trap of convenient mediocrity. If you want to ski, it OK but nothing special. Other stuff, it’s OK but nothing special. Get somewhere else that has something special and you’ll wonder what took you so long to leave. But you’re right, that is not for everyone.
    All you guys who've slammed Spokane because you spent some time here a bunch of years ago or those who claim Schweitzer is foggy all the time or that it rains all the time, etc crack me up.

Having lived here all my life, seeing the changes in Spokane, how Schweitzer, where I've skied 60 days per year for the last 30 years has grown and improved access, what improvements the other areas have made, the overall quality of life in the area, river rafting five minutes from downtown, quality mountain biking ten minutes from downtown, lakes, rivers, fishing, hunting, entertainment growth, and all else that's improved life here, I will say those who knock this area don't really know about Spokane.

...If you want the big city life, traffic, high prices, liftlines, crowded lakes and forests, Spokane isn't for you so please, stay away.
    Goldmember is one of the main people that got me thinking Spokane. Mostly b/c of the stuff like he wrote above. I suppose it can be described as "convenient mediocrity," but it also can be described as variety. Some people, lots actually, enjoy the "big city" with events, restaurants, museums, hustle and bustle. I don't...I dread joining my wife for her annual trip to NYC...or when we get a wedding invite to Philly; I just don't like crowds, lines, traffic...even sidewalk traffic...I just don't like being there.

And while I love skiing...just being out there skiing...whether in a storm, sunny spring mogul skiing, fresh corduroy, skinning up...I just love it; But I love other things too like biking (mtn and road), hiking/trail running...just being outside, I'd give kayaking a go. I can make a trip to "the best" skiing 1-2/yr up in Canada or down in Utah and a trip or 2/yr to Whistler or Moab to bike....but the key, for me, is to find a super good mix of all the things I love, limiting those I don't, and all while being able to afford living there).

Does Spokane fit that mold? I don't know, but I'm working making a trip to find out.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

i think it probably does

Spokane - living there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Lived in Spokane for 3 years quite a while ago. Had an episode when it rained for 22 days straight, which was enough to drive me away. It is not a place to live if you are a skier. Red Mountain is within reach for weekends, but IMO the closer stuff is not the real deal.
    You from the southwest?

That's just called Fall and Winter in the northeast & pacific NW.

GM nailed it but if he keeps going on like this that line up for the bell will be 10x longer.

Post up your fav food joints for the ballers flying in to GEG and heading north to BaldFace/Red/Reve etc and call it good.

Thankfully the area is not for everyone.

So, how old were you when you left Spokane? How long ago? If you left for college, you were probably about 18. From the time you could really start to have any appreciation for activities that you currently enjoy, you were probably about 12. That's six years to draw your conclusions regarding the area and all those six years, you were still a kid. Hard to create a strong, informed judgment from that short amount of time. Also, things may not be quite what they were when you did live here so, considering that, it's hard to form a credible opinion regarding what it may be now compared to your impressions from when you lived here.

Maybe you were older when you left and had a bit more than six years experience but, probably not much more. Things have changed considerably in even just the last five years. The mountains aren't any bigger but the areas have all had improvements. Did you back country when you lived in this area? Considering Red Mountain, which most people agree is excellent skiing is only 2.5 hours away, there should be enough to keep you interested. The more local areas aren't gnarly rad but they're fun with plenty of open mountain space for back country, if you're into that. I back country out the gates at Schweitzer and there's plenty to keep a person entertained. Again, there's a whole lot more here than many people are even aware of. But, suit yourself; bitch about how shitty Spokane and stick around B'ham if you really think it's all that special. The problem with having that place with 'something special' is that the one thing tends to be the only thing and is one dimensional. I've been to many places that have 'something special' and have enjoyed it but I never find myself wanting to move there once I consider all the other things I would be missing out on.

You call it convenient mediocrity, I call it entertaining variety without the crowds, expense, or other deterrents to having a great time, no matter the conditions. You can always visit somewhere with 'something special' but even that can become boring if there's no other something specials to keep you excited to be there. We're not even discussing the availability of jobs, in-town entertainment, or other aspects of living somewhere that most people deem to be somewhat important. To each their own but, go ahead, rank all you want on Spokane. Just don't bother to come back if you hate it that much. The rest of us will take advantage of your absence and have just one more fresh track on a powder day.
    I visit family there several times a year and we ski every winter there, usually around Christmas time. Yes, I did start to backcountry ski at Schweitzer before I left and personally having a lift up to Siberia was a bummer in my eyes. Canada being fairly close is OK too, as mentioned earlier.
    The only reason I’d come back is to be closer to my family again. Having lived somewhere with so many world class recreational opportunities in the backyard, low cost of living, natural beauty and amazing community that after 20 years, I could never settle for less. Not to knock on Spokane, because it has come quite a ways from the ghetto grimy ways I grew up with, it doesn’t hold a candle to other places in terms of access and open spaces to explore.
    I’m glad to see there are some dudes standing up for Spokane. It’s has always been the underdog city in my eyes and having spent half of my life there, it’s obviously a huge part of who I am as a person-and I always root for the underdog.
    My problem with Spokane is all the traps of bars, drinking, drugs, and teen pregnancy that have ruined many of the people I grew up with into lives not reaching their full potential or flat out suicide and heroin ODs.
    So, after you see a few of the talented and vibrant guys and gals you grew up with climbing and skiing die of drugs or end up in shitty dead end jobs and their all bloated and fat when you run into them years down the road, it causes you to look inward and be grateful that you left as soon as you could because Spokane fukking sux, unless you’re OK with OK.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    That's just called Fall and Winter in the northeast & pacific NW.
    Or what I like to call Wednesday.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Or what I like to call Wednesday.
    [looks out window]Spot on[/looks out window]

Spokane - living there?

Sorry WC but sounds as though your friends just got lazy. I see it happen all the time. Complacent in their lives and life style. Easier to drink and eat like shit than exercise and eat right.
    This place is what you make if it. I have lived at or super close to some of the top ski resorts in the lower 48. Epic terrain does not describe this area. I was sadly disappointed coming from 12 years skiing at both Bridger Bowl and Big Sky. Do I still have a great fucking time skiing here? Hell yes. I’m pretty happy being on skis anywhere though. Pretty easy to rack up over 40k of pow in a day at schwizz or Silver with no lift lines and fresh tracks.
    As for the city itself, it’s cool and city enough for me. I’m partial to small towns and rarely go to Spokane. The other outdoor activities here are pretty bitchen. The Fishing is second to none, it’s what I do when I’m not skiing. Not big into Mtn Biking but the little I have done is pretty damn fun with a sweet backdrop.
    Glacier park is just up the road. Yellowstone is a half day drive. Water sports etc.
    Again, this and any area is what you make of it.
    You couldn’t pay me enough money to live in a shithole like Bellingham. To each his own I suppose.

Edit: can’t tell one shit hole from another

Spokane - living there?

Yeah. Fuck Bellevue, that place is a fucking shithole, you couldn’t pay me enough money to live there. Shit, anywhere near Seattle for that matter.
    I’m happy for all of you guys that love it there. This is just my take on the place I grew up and still visit several times a year. Keep the stoke up in ol Spokane, lord knows it could use it.

My problem with Spokane is all the traps of bars, drinking, drugs, and teen pregnancy that have ruined many of the people I grew up with into lives not reaching their full potential or flat out suicide and heroin ODs.
    So, after you see a few of the talented and vibrant guys and gals you grew up with climbing and skiing die of drugs or end up in shitty dead end jobs and their all bloated and fat when you run into them years down the road, it causes you to look inward and be grateful that you left as soon as you could because Spokane fukking sux, unless you’re OK with OK.
    That isn't a problem isolated to Spokane. I grew up in albuquerque and park city. Both towns have there fair share of heroin overdoses, suicides, people failing to reach your perceived potential and teen pregnancies. that's just called life.

It baffles me that people shit on Spokane as I really enjoyed my time living there. There's a great network of outdoorsy folks and the access to just about every outdoor activity is hard to beat. Are there bigger mountains? sure. Are there gnarlier crags? you bet. But Spokane has bike trails throughout the city, multiple floatable rivers in town, places to climb in town. Its hard to beat that in my opinion unless you live in a ski town.

Bellingham and the rest of western washington have plenty of traps of bars, drugs, teen pregnancy and most cities in western washington are farther away from skiing with more crowded slopes. Are the ski areas/mountains bigger in the Cascades than those in the Idaho panhandle and NE washington? absolutely, but they're also more crowded.

Both, Bellingham and Spokane, are nice places, and there are thousands of shittier places to live in the US than spokane.

Agreed

Wait wait wait... did I just witness an actual "discussion".

This is TGRz! My opinion is right and you fucking suck Goddamit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    That isn't a problem isolated to Spokane. I grew up in albuquerque and park city. Both towns have there fair share of heroin overdoses, suicides, people failing to reach your perceived potential and teen pregnancies. that's just called life.
    Shit...I grew up in Kenosha, Wisconsin and, I'd bet, >75% of my childhood friends are still there...and 50% are alkies sittin in the same bar as when I left 30 years ago. Bunch of ODs too...that shit happens everywhere.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Shit...I grew up in Kenosha, Wisconsin and, I'd bet, >75% of my childhood friends are still there...and 50% are alkies sittin in the same bar as when I left 30 years ago. Bunch of ODs too...that shit happens everywhere.
    I’d say it happens more in places that have less inspiring options to drinking, drugs and fucking. Not that those are terrible activities, just requiring a balance of clean living.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Goldmember is one of the main people that got me thinking Spokane. Mostly b/c of the stuff like he wrote above. I suppose it can be described as "convenient mediocrity," but it also can be described as variety. Some people, lots actually, enjoy the "big city" with events, restaurants, museums, hustle and bustle. I don't...I dread joining my wife for her annual trip to NYC...or when we get a wedding invite to Philly; I just don't like crowds, lines, traffic...even sidewalk traffic...I just don't like being there.

And while I love skiing...just being out there skiing...whether in a storm, sunny spring mogul skiing, fresh corduroy, skinning up...I just love it; But I love other things too like biking (mtn and road), hiking/trail running...just being outside, I'd give kayaking a go. I can make a trip to "the best" skiing 1-2/yr up in Canada or down in Utah and a trip or 2/yr to Whistler or Moab to bike....but the key, for me, is to find a super good mix of all the things I love, limiting those I don't, and all while being able to afford living there).

Does Spokane fit that mold? I don't know, but I'm working making a trip to find out.
    W2 might fit that mold for you and we're just 2hrs 45mins away

...low cost of living
    You must live beyond the city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You couldn’t pay me enough money to live in a shithole like Bellingham.
    Good, we're full.

But seriously, I'm kinda curious about why you think that. People are moving here in droves. Houses are bid above their already obscene asking on the first day. Personally, I think this town has jumped the shark, but shithole?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Bellingham and the rest of western washington have plenty of traps of bars, drugs, teen pregnancy and most cities in western washington are farther away from skiing with more crowded slopes. Are the ski areas/mountains bigger in the Cascades than those in the Idaho panhandle and NE washington? absolutely, but they're also more crowded.
    Truth. Plus rain.

Bottom line Smarty: Washington has much to offer that is wonderful. Come here and check it out. There is bound to be city to fit your needs and make you happy!

It's looking fairly evident that I will be moving to Sandpoint by Summer 2020. Me and the holster business. We are looking to exit Washington due to the political climate not aligning with our business long term.

Thinking of using this as an opportunity to refocus and downsize the house, lifestyle etc. More time playing, less time working on large swaths of land.

How shitty is living at Schweitzer? Are the HOA's insane? Living walking distance to a chairlift sounds totally awesome. (For those not following the LWS life blog, I currently live 30 minutes from town up a remote canyon so I'm used to a shitty drive. Currently an hour to a ski area.)

How's the commercial/industrial real estate market?

Any areas really bad/worth avoiding?

Is this a mistake?

Be bummed to see you go. Will you license your handle?

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Be bummed to see you go.
    Visit! But honestly I've lived in Washington my entire life and Leavenworth for 10 years, it's a bit weird to think about moving. But also kind of exciting. Real Estate is a lot less stupid out there, which is a plus.

Will you license your handle?
    There may be franchise opportunities!

I’d be down to go funk it up out der with the two of yous. I feel ya on change of scene

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    nothing wrong with mediocre
    reads like you’re in crossroads
    maybe medina is more for you
    so finding something special?
    those places are all gone, son.
    I’m completely content in my zone and have been for over 20 years. I’ve found my niche and it is quite special. Very grateful to have it. Don’t settle for mediocre if you want special is my point.