Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Releasing a Peach Hefeweizen today. Second batch of the season.

Onto Cresthavens! Yum!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cresthavens.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	244476

A proven variety for many cold-winter climates, Cresthaven is a medium to large, very firm, yellow-fleshed freestone peach maturing approximately four weeks after Redhaven. This variety has good color, 40-60% red over greenish yellow, and very good flavor.

Veterans harvest today; we have about double this amount. Yummmm...

Name:	IMG_9976.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	245720

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Veterans harvest today; we have about double this amount. Yummmm...

Name:	IMG_9976.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	245720
    Looks great! Can't believe how much later your harvest is from ours.

Our season starts late and ends early; makes gardening a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Looks great! Can't believe how much later your harvest is from ours.
    These showed up in our CSA box this week

Name:	IMG_8632.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	245730
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I'm glad this got bumped back up. We are currently in the midst of eating 54lbs of Palisade peaches. I looked on the box and they are apparently "Suncrest" variety.

Holy SHIT are they good this year. We've finished one 18lb box and there wasn't a *single* mealy peach in the whole box. There were a couple individual peaches that weren't awesome, but that was it.

And you know what they say - when life hands you peaches... make peach pies!

Name:  peachpie.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  102.2 KB

Wife is cooking a peach cobbler soon. I was in Palisade the other day but drank a lot of fermented grapes rather than peaches.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm glad this got bumped back up. We are currently in the midst of eating 54lbs of Palisade peaches. I looked on the box and they are apparently "Suncrest" variety.

Holy SHIT are they good this year. We've finished one 18lb box and there wasn't a *single* mealy peach in the whole box. There were a couple individual peaches that weren't awesome, but that was it.

And you know what they say - when life hands you peaches... make peach pies!

Name:  peachpie.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  102.2 KB
    Nice pies!

I'm thinking whoever you bought those peaches from recycled the box because Suncrest are an early season variety but, s'all good if they're tasty just the same!

Nice pies!

I'm thinking whoever you bought those peaches from recycled the box because Suncrest are an early season variety but, s'all good if they're tasty just the same!
    Interesting - this orchard lists general Suncrest harvest times for early->mid-August, which would be pretty close to when we received ours. http://talbottfarms.com/tmg_working_010.htm

But to your point - doesn't really matter... 'cause holy SHIT are these things amazing. We're on the last 18lb box and they just keep getting better. So sweet and juicy.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Interesting - this orchard lists general Suncrest harvest times for early->mid-August, which would be pretty close to when we received ours. http://talbottfarms.com/tmg_working_010.htm

But to your point - doesn't really matter... 'cause holy SHIT are these things amazing. We're on the last 18lb box and they just keep getting better. So sweet and juicy.
    Well it could be your growing season. We have a very long growing season - almost 220 days (zone 3). Flyover's Veteran peaches came ripe almost 6 weeks after ours (he's in Bend).

USDA versus Sunset zones: Note the differences

Sunset climate zones are based more on local microclimates and quirks of our western landscape. Western Oregon is in Sunset climate zones 4, 5 or 6, depending on your elevation, exposure, distance from the ocean, etc.

I think the USDA hardiness rankings are not as descriptive as the Sunset climate zones for microclimates west of the Rockies. For example, those of us Western Oregonians residing in USDA zone 8b are in the same USDA hardiness zone as Austin, Texas, and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

It's peach time! Early Red Havens:

Name:  RH2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  RH1.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  66.7 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Already?!?

Mmmm... peaches...

Had my first peach of the season today. So glad they're back. Can't wait for the melons!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

We get ours from Spud at the Railyard development east of downtown, or at the farmer's market in Sacramento if I happen to be down there on a Sunday. I get spoiled--love peaches but we can get them all summer. I appreciate apricots more because the season is short, plums because although the season is longer the later varieties don't have the tartness. But I do love a ripe juicy peach--the kind you have to eat standing over the sink. The first peach of the season is special for me. There are two seasons for me--ski season and stone fruit season.

Little know (I think) peach facts--Ty Cobb was known as the Georgia Peach. Strange name for a guy who by all accounts was a world class dick.
    The Navajo loved their peaches, grown in Canyon de Chelly since the 18th Century.

It's pretty rare to get awesome peaches here in the Northeast but i do love them. Few things are worse than biting into a promising peach and being disappointed. Which happens far too often.

Is the sexual thing too edgy? Because it's a thing, in my world. Peaches are sexy. Juicy peaches.

Mmmmmm, have to start making it to the farmers market. Everything is looking good now here

Interesting:

365 Things To Do In Washington State

#226 - Try a unique wood fire pizza from Fire at Pybus Public Market, made with the freshest local produce in the area! It’s peach season in the Wenatchee Valley, and right now Fire is serving up a special peach pizza: olive oil base, buckboard bacon, fresh local peaches, mascarpone cheese, a drizzle of local honey, and finished with green onion. Yum! (Photo via Pybus Public Market)

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Mmmmm, peaches.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Mmmmm, peaches.
    They are going gangbusters here. My favorite family farm down the road just started harvesting Rosas one of my favorites! So good!

Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

It's here! It's here! It's here! Peach season!

Name:	early redhaven.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	334760

at least something's peachy

It's here! It's here! It's here! Peach season!

Name:	early redhaven.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	334760

at least something's peachy
    What about Herb?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Peach season got crushed by a late freeze here in Colorado. So it's slim pickings this year. Had a good ripe freestone yesterday tho so what little season we're gonna get is coming on strong!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.