Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Minimalist Sandals/Shoes for Running or Hiking

I recently went to a minimalist sandal, the Xero Shoes Genesis, and started minimalist running. I really like this. Much healthier for the feet and actually strengthens the legs more then traditional heel-to-toe running, in the main, because you're running on the midfoot, with the entire kinetic chain acting as a shock absorber, and not relying on a very engineered shoe to do that.

Anyone else doing this and any thoughts on different sandals and or shoes for it?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T713 using TGR Forums mobile app

Run? I can barely walk when I first get up.
    Good thing they invented eBikes!

Check back in when your Achilles explodes

I thought the minimalist shoe trend had blown over.

I have to go to the foot conferences for CEU credits. *Every* conference has a seminar on the disasterous effects of minimalist footwear and/or barefoot running.

Too much strain. Just because it feels good now, doesn't mean it will be good for you later.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Yeah, I like that.

I also found this one:

https://youtu.be/WRCXy_UHPVc

And, this one on baresock running. But, the socks cost close to 90 USD:

https://youtu.be/bcEblMW2Wpk

Also, I can appreciate the concern about potential damage from barefoot running. However, a couple of things against that. First, people in other cultures, particularly Africa and Asia, either where huraches or simply go barefoot all their lives, without any real problems. I actually have friends here, Asian in origin, whose parents still go mainly Barefoot, and they are well into their 80s and doing quite well.

Second, dancers train either Barefoot, or in ballet shoes, which resemble minimalist running wear. Now, some dancers develop really bad foot problems, but that's really from overuse, and in particular, a lot of jumping and leaping. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who go to dance class for most of their lives, I'm talking about people well up into their 60s and 70s, and they do quite well practicing 2 or 3 hours a day, either Barefoot or with ballet shoes on.

Third, a lot of the biomechanical literature that I've read, and also a really good orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet, told me that I didn't really have a foot problem, as much as I had a shoe problem. I actually went to a dancer friend who had me starting to go barefoot, and a lot of my foot problems went away, of course, this is coupled with getting the proper shoe wear.

So, I'm really curious to know about the damage that's done. I mean, some of the people who do this, put in really heavy mileage and they're doing it all the time. So, I wonder, a few hours a day. A 30-minute jog. Would these things cause problems? At least with the approach I'm using I'm not really engaging in any severe overuse syndrome type of stuff. Any advice is appreciated.

How do feel about Austrian school economics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

My rigid foot still likes a bit of padding for mid foot strikes. For trail running I use a Brooks PureGrit 6, some padding, spring, and a rock plate for the forefoot but still light and neutral.

For hiking, especially with a pack, I want an actual boot.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post

I have to go to the foot conferences for CEU credits. *Every* conference has a seminar on the disasterous effects of minimalist footwear and/or barefoot running.

Too much strain. Just because it feels good now, doesn't mean it will be good for you later.
    there have actualy been 2 barefoot running crazes, my buddy caught the 1st wave in the 70's when he was in med school, when i told him it was a thing again he laughed and said you really need to listen to your body when running barefoot

I have heard it said they still see foot problems with minimalist shoes they are just different than with with regular shoes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’m always challenged with shoe fit. I have narrow heal, wide thin forefoot, and Morton’s toe. Here’s my quiver.
    -Vivobarefoot trail shoes (older last, current lady doesn’t fit). I need to replace these soon
    -vivobarefoot biz casual shoes (gobi model)
    -Bellevue (sp?) mini-mil boots. These are tactical boots, but fit me, work well, and are fairly cheap. They’ve been more durable than expected.
    -astral loyak water /casual shoe.

I’m a big proponent of bedrock sandals. Biomechanics and armchair arguments aside, I feel more stable in a zero drop shoe / sandal. I am personally also pro sandal over shoe for many uses, including light backpacking, and have noticed my feet are healthier (if not dirtier) when I wear sandals predominantly.

Find what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Do these pink ones come in a size 13?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’m always challenged with shoe fit. I have narrow heal, wide thin forefoot, and Morton’s toe. Here’s my quiver.
    -Vivobarefoot trail shoes (older last, current lady doesn’t fit). I need to replace these soon
    -vivobarefoot biz casual shoes (gobi model)
    -Bellevue (sp?) mini-mil boots. These are tactical boots, but fit me, work well, and are fairly cheap. They’ve been more durable than expected.
    -astral loyak water /casual shoe.
    I just got some Loyaks and I like them, but I wish they made a much thinner footbed. I've been wearing them without any for the time being.

I have only had positive things to say from going to barefoot-style shoes. I have a few Lems which I actually think is a pretty happy medium (well a bit too much cushioning). There is enough cushioning to minimize ground feel, but the fit gives my feet room to wiggle which I like.

How bad is wearing flip flops all summer?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    How do feel about Austrian school economics?
    Not much. Robber Baron bullshit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app

luna sandals from seattle

1. Lots of people are idiots who bought vibrams, ran a marathon the next day and wondered why their feet were fucked up.

2. There's huge selection bias at play since people who predominantly go barefoot/minimal without problems don't end up in a podiatrist's office. No one stops into their friendly neighborhood podiatrist just to let them know that everything is still going great.

3. T&F athletes have been using minimalist shoes for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    How bad is wearing flip flops all summer?
    Maybe this bad?

I quit putting my feet into ski boots and switched to flip flops mid June and that bump wasnt there or I didnt notice it until it was pointed out to me around the 4th. Since then I havent really been able to wear any shoe other than flip flop without it causing some nerve irritation. Went to my ortho to see if he could drain it which led to surgery yesterday to get whats called a neurilemmoma or nerve sheath tumor excised. Quick 30 min op as doc said it was sitting on top and not ensnared with the nerve, but once the local wore off whoa feels like ma foot is broken.

Sure doesn't feel so good today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Damn.... sorry to hear that Mofro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    1. Lots of people are idiots who bought vibrams, ran a marathon the next day and wondered why their feet were fucked up.

2. There's huge selection bias at play since people who predominantly go barefoot/minimal without problems don't end up in a podiatrist's office. No one stops into their friendly neighborhood podiatrist just to let them know that everything is still going great.

3. T&F athletes have been using minimalist shoes for decades.
    Good points. #3 is so true.

This vid helped me:

https://youtu.be/_J-7beA-daw

It's my understanding that the single best study of running footwear came to a very simple conclusion: people get injured less when they wear shoes that they find comfortable. There are world class runners who heel strike and seldom get injured. There isn't one way to run correctly.

Before the barefoot craze there were probably too many people in shoes with big heel padding and support to stop pronation (which isn't always a bad thing). Then the pendulum swung the other way. People who had been heel striking without issue ditched shoes that had been working well for them in hope of some sort of shoe magic. It doesn't exist.

Zola Budd runs in Newtons these days:

I've trained thousands of miles and ran a hundred miler in minimalist shoes. They didn't suck for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

If you look at mid race foot strikes of the top 10k runners in the world you will see a variety ranging from forefoot to heel strikes. Pretty even distribution as well.

T&F athletes run in the lightest shoes they can. Minimalists shoes tend to be lighter. Performance at high level completion tends to outweigh injury prevention, especially for overuse injuries.

Barefoot converts = tele skiers.

I've used the New Balance minimus trail for road and super buff/smooth trail runs of up to about 10 miles and dug them. I like mixing in different styles of shoes to keep my feet/lower body flexible. The minimals were excellent for providing immediate feedback on my form - if you're foot striking in a lazy or backseat way, you KNOW it instantly. The tread on them was fine. Fit was tight around the metatarsals, but ok. There are more purist options out there, but I don't care.

I wouldn't dream of using these to do longer mountain trail runs (10+ miles) or hikes vs. more traditional shoes. Not enough protection, and zero drop (though the NB's have like 3mm of drop) when you're climbing 5k-10k gets really fucking brutal on my calves/achilles as my dorsiflexion is nil. YM WILL V.