Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: KINGPIN RECALL

Well, dropped my toes off at the local REI on 12/14 for the recall. We'll see what the wait for replacement is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've been waiting for new toes for a recalled binding for a customer (purchased from another retailer) for over five weeks now.
    New brass toes arrived today so it's taken 6-7 weeks.

What are we supposed to do if our serial number falls outside of the recall range but the toe pieces has the new logo (updated marker logo, w/o "M" logo).

0_o

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    What are we supposed to do if our serial number falls outside of the recall range but the toe pieces has the new logo (updated marker logo, w/o "M" logo).
    Nothing as they're not included in the recall.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post

0_o
    Did they fail like the recall expects?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

which is what exactly? No one has been able to explain this adequately other than to say "it's not for the pins snapping off" which seems absurd. mine are still away on this recall. can't wait to sell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    which is what exactly? No one has been able to explain this adequately other than to say "it's not for the pins snapping off" which seems absurd. mine are still away on this recall. can't wait to sell these things.
    Given that the toes are what was recalled and they appear to be replacing the pins, it sure seems like it's too deal with the pins snapping off.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

No failure. Just trying to decide if I want to bite the bullet and replace them for 100% confidence, or just operate under the assumption that if the serial number isnt recalled then I'm good regardless of toe piece logo.

Made the questionable decision of buying a new pair of Kingpins despite all of the issues because I'm poor and the price was too good to pass up for a tech clamp. The shop says that the recall has been completed, but is there any way to independently confirm this?
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Made the questionable decision of buying a new pair of Kingpins despite all of the issues because I'm poor and the price was too good to pass up for a tech clamp. The shop says that the recall has been completed, but is there any way to independently confirm this?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    No
    So should I take them to a different retailer and make sure it’s done by doing it again...
    go upside down.

are they yellow or orange? if orange, they are post recall.

confused
    its like people are feeling like they're missing out because their bindings aren't part of the recall?
    do you really need to fit in to the anti-marker bandwagon so much that you wish you had faulty bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    confused
    its like people are feeling like they're missing out because their bindings aren't part of the recall?
    do you really need to fit in to the anti-marker bandwagon so much that you wish you had faulty bindings?
    I think it’s because of a deep distrust in Marker and people wanting new/improved tech over toes with a known range of issues. I don’t ski kingpins but if I did I’d want any warranty replacement parts I could get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    confused
    I broke 3 toe pieces during my kingpin use. none would have been covered by the recall. all the same failure mode.

I still think marker is handling this terribly.

I broke 3 toe pieces during my kingpin use. none would have been covered by the recall. all the same failure mode.

I still think marker is handling this terribly.
    In lieu of searching can you refresh us on that mode of failure? Sounds odd that you broke 3 pr that would not have been part of recall.

It's always curious to me as I've never broken a binding. I don't Huck, and believe i am a pretty smooth skier mostly. I'm heavy and don't think about my gear either way. Meaning I don't worry I'm going to hard or have to worry about breakage based on what I intend to ski. Totally not questioning your usage just wondering.

I believe you should be able to trust your gear, if you don't it's always in the back of your head and you likely ski differently. That doesn't sound fun.

I tried dukes wasn't impressed. Hope marker makes it right and those that don't want the replacements can still find a market. They should offer refunds to those who dont choose to risk marker making good on their word of a true fix.

So did we ever get a confirmation on just how they're replacing the toes? New units? Refurbs? Fucking tinfoil and twist ties?

KINGPIN RECALL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	262999
    My ski buddy’s bad luck (no drops, no rips, about 80 kg meadow skipper) - two broken pins, before and after recall program.

Upd: this one, orange, was bought brand new this August in Norway, pin sheared after 2 weeks of ski touring in November-December.
    BUT Not 100% sure that it’s outside of recalled ser.number range.
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 01-05-2019 at 12:31 PM.

My 3 toe failures were all of the same type as the picture above. I've never had this happen with any other pin binding.

the 2 heels were cracked in the rails. the part of the rails attached to the heel piece and not the rails on the plate. the female portion if you will.

Changing gears to the post above, I thought all the burnt orange toes were post recall. Perhaps not but disconcerting that it's still happening regardless. Rumor had it that this wasn't even what the recall was about. Marker's been mum about the reasoning as is their prerogative with a voluntary recall.

Fuck Marker.

Fuck Marker.
    Yeah, that.

I can't believe I let myself get sucked into the marker vortex again... smh (at myself)

Quote Originally Posted by jblaski View Post
    Well, dropped my toes off at the local REI on 12/14 for the recall. We'll see what the wait for replacement is.
    It's officially been 1 month. Not a word yet. Starting to get nervous, as I have a 3 day backcountry trip in Jackson planned early February.

I'm at 2 months.

It's officially been 1 month. Not a word yet. Starting to get nervous, as I have a 3 day backcountry trip in Jackson planned early February.
    judging by the above, and possible still breakage AFTER recall, I would just buy something more tested and reliable. Once you get the recalled kingpins, hope you can sell and recoup some of the costs of the new bindings.

I dropped mine off at the end of October and got them back right around new year's. So about 2 months.

Not entirely clear what's different on the new toes.

For those awaiting toe replacements, is there any reason (aside from additional drilling/holes) not to get some used Plum/Dyna/Ion toes and use those in the meantime*? Actually prefer my Ion toes to the Kingpin ones to begin with...

Hate to hear about trips cancelled and/or second binding sets purchased when there may be a $75-100 solution which may end up being a better overall system anyway.

* Maybe the Sollyfit guys can fire the mill back up and make a Kingpin->Ion conversion plate that helps with my ramp angle at the same time!