Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: KINGPIN RECALL

KINGPIN RECALL

Information Released by Marker today:

Marker Kingpin Recall 2018 – FAQ

Q. What products are being recalled? / Why did I receive a recall notice.
    Marker is conducting a voluntary recall of Marker Kingpin ski bindings that were produced and sold during the 2017/2018 ski season. This recall does not affect any other Marker products.
    Q. Why is Marker recalling these ski bindings?
    We have identified some isolated instances of pin breakage in the toes that might result in an unexpected release and fall hazard. That is unacceptable to us, so we are voluntarily recalling all of the 2017/2018 production so we can replace the toe units of all bindings new toes that meet our requirements.
    Q. Are there any legal requirements for ski bindings?
    There are no government-mandated standards that apply to ski bindings sold in the United States or Canada, but we design our bindings to comply with European and ASTM safety standards, both of which are considered voluntary standards for ski bindings sold in North America. Some of these standards are mandatory for ski bindings sold in Europe. [Identify the standard as DIN ISO 13992:2007 if asked].
    Q. How can I tell if my ski binding is among the ones being recalled?
    We can help you make this determination by the serial number on the heel unit and by looking for the Marker logo on the toe unit [describe].
    Q. Has anyone been hurt using these recalled ski bindings?
    Skiers can fall down sometimes and get hurt because skiing is a hazardous sport, but we are not aware of anyone having been injured as a result of a broken pin.
    Q. What am I supposed to do if I have one of these ski bindings?
    If you have Kingpin ski bindings that are covered by the recall, please stop using them and bring them to your Marker Authorized Retailer, who will replace the toe units with new ones, free of charge.
    Q. I like my bindings just the way they are; I’d prefer to keep them.
    We’re glad you like your Kingpin bindings, but because this recall involves a potential safety issue you really need to return them.
    Q. I received my ski bindings as a gift, or I’ve lost my proof of purchase for them. Can I still take advantage of the recall?
    Proof of purchase is not required. We just need you to return the ski bindings to a Marker Authorized Retailer.
    Q. I want to take advantage of the recall, but I’d like to keep my old ski bindings as a souvenir, can I do that?
    Unfortunately not. We must take back the old ski bindings.
    Q. I want to be sure my new ski bindings are the same color as what I have now. Can you guarantee that? Or, can you replace my bindings with a different color?
    We will make every effort to provide replacement toe units in the same colors, gold or copper, as you originally purchased, but we can’t guarantee it.
    Q. I’d rather just get my money back. Can you send me a refund instead of a replacement?
    This recall does not involve offering a refund. The recall as authorized by the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission / Health Canada calls for replacing recalled toe units with new ones. It does not authorize refunds.
    Q. Has this recall been approved by the government?
    Yes. We are conducting this recall in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission / Health Canada, who will monitor the effectiveness of this recall program.

Model Numbers Affected:

Toe Identification:

Bindings with serial numbers between this range are affected:

None of my Kingpin sales are affected.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 07-26-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Wonder what this does to TGR's klout score (is that even still a thing?)?

Happy to see they are taking care of this at least. I'm sure some will be bitter about it though... maybe the devil is in the details.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

pretty psyched to see this after picking up some used cheap ones this spring
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Thanks Jon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

THanx for this Spyderjon I always appreciate your info !

And good on Marker for this, it looks like a pretty good effort

I didnt realize they had an S/N

certainly a better effort than Dynafit with their exploding Rad1

I wonder whayts up with the exploding kingpin heelpieces?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

^^^ hats off to Marker for taking care of this.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I cracked up when i read that Markers internal testing department discovered the flaw
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    marker should have someone from r&d gaping in tech talk
    All companies should really. Real world testing and abuse

Speaking of kingpin, can you get sick drinkin piss?

KINGPIN RECALL

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

This ^

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So they are only replacing the toes and not the heels? I could personally also do with new heels before the wormscrew track sheers off ...
    Last edited by skiwithcharlie; 07-27-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Information Released by Marker today
    thanks for posting the details

is the faq yours?
    I dont know why marker didn't put it on their recall page. on another forum ive already seen people asking if proof of purchase is required.

The FAQ was sent to me by Marker.

I checked my Kingpins (13, gold, no M-logo) and there is no serial number at all - does anybody know if they are affected or not?

I'm interested in how many of the total produced 17/18 bindings are affected.

-should have been a quoted reply-

How do you know? Are all serialnumbers tracked by Marker so they know wich retailers have sold affected bindings?

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand it's great that they're voluntarily recalling them. On the other hand, both the toe pieces in which i had toe pin failures predated this batch by some time. Furthermore, this does nothing to address the aforementioned exploding wormscrew track on the heel pieces which is also a known, repeated issue.

So i guess I'm not really of two minds, fuck maker and fuck me for having had to relearn that lesson.

2016 bindings out of the recall? wtf? are they out of warranty or what? I thought they are the most problematic

The FAQ was sent to me by Marker.
    I got it too via email

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand it's great that they're voluntarily recalling them. On the other hand, both the toe pieces in which i had toe pin failures predated this batch by some time. Furthermore, this does nothing to address the aforementioned exploding wormscrew track on the heel pieces which is also a known, repeated issue.

So i guess I'm not really of two minds, fuck maker and fuck me for having had to relearn that lesson.
    Amen to that, I stopped skiing on my Kingpins last year when I broke a toe pin on a month old pair (and only noticed it at the end of the day filled with gnarly lines and exposure) and one of my friends told me about his heel failure related injury. Went back to my Dukes...

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I checked my Kingpins (13, gold, no M-logo) and there is no serial number at all - does anybody know if they are affected or not?
    Same here, my pair was bought on a 2018 pro deal, no Marker logo on either the original toe peice or the one they replaced, cant find a serial # on the heel piece dildo either, must be underneath the track or something?

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    Same here, my pair was bought on a 2018 pro deal, no Marker logo on either the original toe peice or the one they replaced, cant find a serial # on the heel piece dildo either, must be underneath the track or something?
    Only one heel out of every pair is stamped with the number I think. Brand new set I got in box from a warranty replacement is like that anyways.

With how busy shops are going to be replacing these this fall, I'd be willing to bet nobody is going to be sticklers for serial numbers.

And echo that on track failure - thats been the only thing I've had to warranty my kingpins for so far through three pairs. I think for my buddy that this will now be 5th or 6th time hes had to back out screws and remove a kingpin toe for his two sets.

Yes, the number is only stamped on one heel.