Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: KINGPIN RECALL

Quote Originally Posted by Ghini View Post
    I'm interested in how many of the total produced 17/18 bindings are affected.
    As it's a voluntary recall I reckon it's less than 1% but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghini View Post
    How do you know? Are all serialnumbers tracked by Marker so they know wich retailers have sold affected bindings?
    The serial numbers are not unique individual numbers but a more of a batch number. It an outer box containing five sets of Kingpins theyll likely all have the same number. I don't know how many bindings share the same number but I've not had more than five sets.

I don't know if Marker records the serial numbers issued to each dealer but I record the number issued to my customers exactly for this reason.

All my Kingpin sales pre-date the affected numbers as I bought a considerable quantity of Kingpins at the end of 16/17 which saw me right through last season without needing additional stock. All my toes are the 2nd gen pins (ie non loosening) but with the adjustable toe stops and I've still got three pairs left.

it seemed to me that lots of bro's were using the Kingpin hard in 16/17 and it was going to be the holy grail of front/side/back country bindings

Its possible anybody who bought in 16/17 right after the pin falling out but before the last season might be ok pin wise ?

but then there were some broken heelpieces last season as well ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Its possible anybody who bought in 16/17 right after the pin falling out but before the last season might be ok pin wise ?
    That's my question.

it seemed to me that lots of bro's were using the Kingpin hard in 16/17 and it was going to be the holy grail of front/side/back country bindings

but then there were some broken heelpieces last season as well ??
    Wrong. Mine were 16/17 vintage and i broke 2 toe pins as well as 2 heel pieces.

well thats not wrong its just what i learned from talking to bro's on chairs in bars and at church

I did have a bud who broke some 16/17 vintage but not until early in the 17/18 season

It's clearly wrong to say that people owning that vintage might be ok then isn't it? Not really a subjective statement. That vintage has a clear history of exactly the same failure type as the recall not to mention other issues.

Let's not get back into that cursed debate about validity of sample size from last year.

the only thing thats clear is that nothing is really clear

and marker did a recall

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The serial numbers are not unique individual numbers but a more of a batch number. It an outer box containing five sets of Kingpins theyll likely all have the same number. I don't know how many bindings share the same number but I've not had more than five sets.

I don't know if Marker records the serial numbers issued to each dealer but I record the number issued to my customers exactly for this reason.

All my Kingpin sales pre-date the affected numbers as I bought a considerable quantity of Kingpins at the end of 16/17 which saw me right through last season without needing additional stock. All my toes are the 2nd gen pins (ie non loosening) but with the adjustable toe stops and I've still got three pairs left.
    Thank you Jon!

Spoke with the marker rep at USAW. Heres what I got from him. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingpin Toes.png 
Views:	290 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	253741

Still not sure I trust them... He was mentioned that the recall was for the pins backing out, not shearing off. Even if your bindings aren't in the recall batch, beware of them shearing off and inuring you! (dislocated my shoulder patrolling on them when they sheared off)

so we finally have a reported injury due to this horse shit. Good god it would please me to learn you're suing them.

Those of you who sent in your toe pieces, what was the turnaround time for the replacement? Are we talking a few days, or a month?

i brought mine in almost a month ago. still waiting. shop is usually nothing but above and beyond with me so when they say marker is dicking them around i believe them.

Hmm, that’s not giving me much confidence. I just picked up a lightly used pair that fall in the recall. Was debating sending them in, but don’t want to wait until mid season.

Related, how would you know if they’ve already been sent in? I forgot to ask the guy I bought them from?

the only thing thats clear is that nothing is really clear

and marker did a recall
    I have since talked to a bro out east who told me his shop has only had ONE Kingpin failure period

sounds like it was very possible to get a run of bad stock

I've been waiting for new toes for a recalled binding for a customer (purchased from another retailer) for over five weeks now.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 12-08-2018 at 05:17 AM.

I'm about 4-5 weeks on the ones I sent in. Local shop said they didn't have much info other than that marker isn't giving them any reason to think the new toes will be here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jblaski View Post
    Hmm, that’s not giving me much confidence. I just picked up a lightly used pair that fall in the recall. Was debating sending them in, but don’t want to wait until mid season.

Related, how would you know if they’ve already been sent in? I forgot to ask the guy I bought them from?
    They'd be a burnt orange instead of a tarnished gold.

Quote Originally Posted by jblaski View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    They'd be a burnt orange instead of a tarnished gold.
    Not necessarily. The two sets of new replacement toes that I've seen from the recall have been gold.

wut in tarnation? are they just refurbished old toes? do they have a stock of old toes for this purpose? God damn i wish I'd just sold them and let someone else deal or not deal with this. overall, this product has had such a poor handling from marker.

I know a local shop that has about 15 pairs of skis waiting for new toes and they have been there for at least 6 weeks.

Good thing it’s been low snow or people would be pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm not that pissed. I sent them in so I could sell them with new toes and almost new heels. I had both heels crack at the tail end of last season after both toes had pin failures. needless to say I'll never step into another pair of these shitstains.

Replacement toes were plentiful in September and October, the flow started to taper off in early to mid November.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181211-233450.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	259595

^^^ This amuses me.

Although I actually had good luck with my OG Dukes, I'll never purchase another Marker binding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.