mammoth uphilling

fellow fitness nerds rejoice, seems like mammoth will allow uphilling for the 2018-2019 season. i'm pretty stoked to be able to go uphill, especially early season when the eastside bc has less to offer.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/wint.../uphill-access

that's great they are improving access, but when did they ban it? (it's been many years for me). the "west summit" route used to be the easiest way to poach mammoth. climb up the road (be friendly to patrollers coming down the road), do laps on chair 23, call it a day. has mammoth also "banned" the post-work at daily closing quick climb/lap?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    that's great they are improving access, but when did they ban it? has mammoth also "banned" the post-work at daily closing quick climb/lap?
    A few years back I was trying to access the mountain, while it was closed, on the Eagle side and was told to leave by patrol. Reading the Mammoth link, I am still uncertain if they will allow access when the area is closed??? Hopefully it can be accessed anytime now, as I need the practice and conditioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Should be allowed everywhere! I've never skied Mammoth - if the trail map is accurate, it looks like the West Summit route gives easy access to quite a few options inbounds and OB?

Are they going to modify the Skier's Responsibility Code to account for the new uphill traffic?

I'd sooner skin up Minaret Rd than skin uphill at MMSA. Minaret is probably less crowded and more relaxing.

Better yet, consider local mellow b/c options that the friendly, local mountaineering shop will gladly share with you. I guess traveling uphill at MMSA replaces the avi danger of the b/c with collision danger on the piste.

Regarding access to closed areas on MMSA, you're on your own if something bad happens if you're in a closed area. This might be Lincoln Mountain during late season when only Chair 1, 3, and the gondi are running. Sure you can get there with some effort but Patrol isn't sweeping the area.

different strokes for different folks I guess. the idea of having a 2k+ vertical designated uphill track with to the top of the ski area to get laps in in during the early season seems super appealing to me, and I'm psyched mmsa is making it happen.

skiing low-tide early-winter conditions in the bc seems much less rewarding to me then getting a ton of uphill fitness at the resort to be able to really get out there when the conditions are prime in march-june. i feel like its analogous to going to the climbing gym in preparation for 'real climbing'. getting a lap or two uphill before skiing on the resort with family and friends who are not backcountry travellers makes for a really nice day, especially in sub-par snow conditions. just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Should be allowed everywhere! I've never skied Mammoth - if the trail map is accurate, it looks like the West Summit route gives easy access to quite a few options inbounds and OB?
    ^ Any OB off the West Summit route requires climbing back up to the ski area, unless doing a loop though Horseshoe/Lake Mary. And snow is thinner (often fins of alternating ice and bare dirt) on that side due to sun and wind.

Surprised they didn't follow the area boundary on the WS route. Maybe they were concerned someone might drop skinner's right off Hemlocks for an impromptu "tour" of Red's.

Anyone climbing from Eagle or Canyon is going to be fighting the hordes soon as the lifts spin in the morning. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    different strokes for different folks I guess. the idea of having a 2k+ vertical designated uphill track with to the top of the ski area to get laps in in during the early season seems super appealing to me, and I'm psyched mmsa is making it happen.

skiing low-tide early-winter conditions in the bc seems much less rewarding to me then getting a ton of uphill fitness at the resort to be able to really get out there when the conditions are prime in march-june. i feel like its analogous to going to the climbing gym in preparation for 'real climbing'. getting a lap or two uphill before skiing on the resort with family and friends who are not backcountry travellers makes for a really nice day, especially in sub-par snow conditions. just my 2 cents.
    Wow - wish more Tahoe resorts were run like MMSA. Squaw, Alpine, Kirkwood - verboten or shitty policy. That's pretty rad -- skinning to top of mt (Ch. 23...) or top of Lincoln (22/25) opens lots of options for exercise and, err, upper mountain lifts winky winky. No OB to answer an earlier question, unless you want to end up on the other side of the mountain (e.g. hole in the wall, etc.).

Others posting about skinning to Minaret Vista...it's like 300 vertical feet. Why?

And others about skiing the local BC...well, of course. But unless it's a big early year, Mammoth can be the only bump around with any decent coverage. Skinning 2200 ft laps is pretty damn good way to get tuned up, or go out for some mindless solo exercise.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Anyone climbing from Eagle or Canyon is going to be fighting the hordes soon as the lifts spin in the morning. No thanks.
    I was thinking those areas would be ideal for early and late season laps when those areas are still closed. I get that you're on your own, as those areas may not be patrolled and that is ok by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

How about letting people ride their bikes sans lift without a $15 "pedal pass".