Civil Engineering Job Search

Hello. Not sure what kind of responses I'll get here.. I guess you never know with TGR.

But I'm gonna be graduating next spring from CU Boulder with a Civil Engineer/Construction/Proj. Management degree.

Anyone have any tips or recommendations for cool companies to work for in the West? Colorado, Utah, Wyoming? Thanks in advance.

Edit - yes I have a career fair on campus in the fall and spring but was looking for a little more personal experience/insight in addition to the laundry list of companies one of my old profs will toss at me thanks guys.

Any major firm will more than likely have an office in the west. The likes of Jacobs, AECOM, etc.

I’m the Director of Operations for a major city in the Denver area and if your looking to stay in the front range, send me a PM and I am happy give you some leads.

Public or private sector?

Drop me a PM - we have an office in SLC that mostly does transportation work and a few quarries/plants in that area, also a subsidiary in Breck.

Our large projects division occasionally bids some pretty cool projects throughout the intermountain west as well.

Civil Engineering Job Search

You may not be able to afford living here, but there’s plenty of work.

GR Skier posted this in April.

Civil Engineer Intern position
    Come work in Aspen for a summer:

https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.a...3&LanguageID=2
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=5320477

In Jackson for example, and the other big resort town are probably similar, you can most likely get a job. Developers are doing their thing and there is plenty of work to go around.
    The kicker is housing is tight. A lot of the population doesn’t have to work so you will be competing with that when it comes to housing, life style, and a mate.
    All that aside your life is millions of people’s vacation. Recreation is out your back door. And there is more culture than the Elks club.
    Construction is not a bad gig to work hard in the summer and be able to ski more in the winter. Surveying is also a good option to ski more in the winter.
    My advice, take a little time off, do the things you want early before student loans kick in. You can now take your PE early, do it as it will get harder to take later.
    Don’t overlook the little up and coming communities that have the recreation and access. Pinedale WY, Andaconda MT, Polaris MT, Eureka MT, are a few that have crossed my mind. A good tour of small ski areas and mountain passes may land you a gem of your own.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I work for an ENR top 10 contractor. Currently located in Seattle, plenty of opportunity here. Send me a PM if your interested in working on the builder side rather than design.

Career wise... whether you choose to work for a civil firm or a contractor... I would recommend working for a large, sophisticated company in a major market for the first few years out of school. That way you can be exposed to a wide range of projects and have the support of a large organization to learn from. If you decide to leave, your experience with an industry leader will help you easily land your next job. Going from AECOM to some small design firm in Jackson will be easier than the reverse....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    If you would consider CA, WA or HI, drop me a PM. Been working for a regional heavy civil contractor that was recently acquired by an ENR top 10 firm and we were given the reins to manage their construction division and grow it further. We build the big difficult stuff.
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

I work in a large company. Im not an engineer, but I can play one on TV and i work with plenty of them. As a word of warning, some aspects of the big firm is pigeon holing employees. This has been argued to the employees, clients, and stockholders as a means to streamlining and improving efficiencies, bottom line, blah, blah. Engineers that are in that “division” are getting a wealth of experience in one very narrow thing. This seems/feels like an experiment, and most of the firm is not like this, but it’ll be interesting to see if this experiment becomes a trend in the industry. For a young engineer in a large firm with several good mentors for the engineer, the experience can be very broad, enlightening, and fun.

If you’re really lucky, you’ll be in an office that just recently converted to an open office format, outsourced all its admin staff, your laptop will always crashes, and tgr will be blocked.

Lots of 'out West' postings on this site, more for planners than enginerds but they have a few postings.

https://www.planetizen.com/jobs
    21° 12°

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Drop me a PM - we have an office in SLC that mostly does transportation work and a few quarries/plants in that area, also a subsidiary in Breck.

Our large projects division occasionally bids some pretty cool projects throughout the intermountain west as well.
    sounds like we may work for similar (rival?) companies in the same location...

Damn guys, thanks a lot for the info. I'll be sending out pm's and replies as the day goes on and I can digest some of this, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Career wise... whether you choose to work for a civil firm or a contractor... I would recommend working for a large, sophisticated company in a major market for the first few years out of school. That way you can be exposed to a wide range of projects and have the support of a large organization to learn from. If you decide to leave, your experience with an industry leader will help you easily land your next job. Going from AECOM to some small design firm in Jackson will be easier than the reverse....
    This. 5 years of experience with an industry leader and you can basically get a job anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    sounds like we may work for similar (rival?) companies in the same location...
    hints? we're a top 25 ENR contractor headquartered in Cali...

DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Lots of 'out West' postings on this site, more for planners than enginerds but they have a few postings.

https://www.planetizen.com/jobs
    Frankly with the construction boom going on in NorCal, you can at this moment walk into any heavy civil contractor's office and get hired on the spot.

Not kidding.
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Frankly with the construction boom going on in NorCal, you can at this moment walk into any heavy civil contractor's office and get hired on the spot.

Not kidding.
    No joke. I think this applies to alot of firms on the design side as well as government agencies as well. Great time to be graduating into civil engineering/construction.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    If you would consider CA, WA or HI, drop me a PM. Been working for a regional heavy civil contractor that was recently acquired by an ENR top 10 firm and we were given the reins to manage their construction division and grow it further. We build the big difficult stuff.
    Coworker!

Getting around to finally responding to some comments and sending out PMs. Thanks again guys

It has never been easier to get a job in the development industry than right now.

My coworkers and i get contacted 2-3 times per week by recruiters, and sometimes even have recruiters call our office phones haha. My advice would be to pick a medium sized firm that works in a number of different areas of the market. A small firm will only get you experience in a small range of work, and a large company will expose you to many projects, but will not let you do a whole lot of anything but grunt work. A medium firm is a good mix where you gain experience on the design side, client relations side, and budget mgmt side.
    But dude, just pick an area you want to live, and you can easily find a job there to fit.

my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I work in a large company. Im not an engineer, but I can play one on TV and i work with plenty of them. As a word of warning, some aspects of the big firm is pigeon holing employees. This has been argued to the employees, clients, and stockholders as a means to streamlining and improving efficiencies, bottom line, blah, blah. Engineers that are in that “division” are getting a wealth of experience in one very narrow thing. This seems/feels like an experiment, and most of the firm is not like this, but it’ll be interesting to see if this experiment becomes a trend in the industry. For a young engineer in a large firm with several good mentors for the engineer, the experience can be very broad, enlightening, and fun.

If you’re really lucky, you’ll be in an office that just recently converted to an open office format, outsourced all its admin staff, your laptop will always crashes, and tgr will be blocked.
    From my experience and discussion with people, this is becoming more and more the norm. At my last firm, we had a guy who joined and his entire career had been spend designing concrete columns. Saw literally zero other aspects of the building - received the loading from someone else and passed his loading on to the people who designed footings.

Some advice that I got during university and had, in my experience, proven to be true (in the structural design field):

Working for a big company has it's benefits - when you move on to another company, that new company has a good idea of what to expect from an employee from that large organization. Generally, people know what that company's standards are, what its expectations were from their employees, etc. The down side is that it is more and more common that those people from the large firm have more and more narrow varieties of design/etc experience. Working for a small company has it's benefits - when/if you move on, the next company is likely to have never heard of the firm you worked for and have no idea what that company's expectations and standards were. But, you are more likely to have had a wider range of experience in your field.

I didn't enjoy working for a large construction firm - it's obvious you are just a number in a machine designed to make others a lot of money. I've since moved to smaller firms and enjoy that much more - you know your co-workers, more opportunity to become a larger part of the company, etc. That being said - I do value the experience I had at the larger firm and some people very much enjoy it.

Working for salary sucks - they will work your ass to the bone to squeeze every ounce of productivity out of you and pay you no more than if you only showed up 5 days a week for 8hrs a day... except you show up for 5-7 days for 10-12 hrs. While that salary is higher than other opportunities, your hourly wage doesn't wind up being very good. This is a very American/large corporation thing in my experience - smaller firms typically have salaries based on hourly wages that pay out overtime or let you take time off in lieu. You may work more hours than your salary is based on but you at least get compensated for it. This is preferable, at least to me. As caligrown said, the industry is crazy busy right now so there's no choice but to work more/be busy.

LTDR; you're graduating - do what you're interested in/enjoy. Life only gets shittier as you get older.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."