Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How do you Tape?

I see 4 challenges with tubeless taping.

1. Seal all the holes, nooks and crannies and stay sealed. This is why many of us have turned to Gorilla Tape.
    2. Be reasonably priced. See Gorilla Tape, and 100s of posts on MTBR about Tyvek.
    3. Stay on between tire changes. This one escapes me. I9 on the other had, has figured this shit out. They won’t tell me their secret.
    4. Come off without leaving a gooey mess on the rim. This is why many of us have abandoned Gorilla Tape.

I can Tape a rim just fine. But 60% of the time I change tires, the Tape peels off when I break the bead. Then I put myself through a lengthy and painful process of cleaning the rim and re-taping.
    However many are in a shit ton.

YesTubes.

Stays sealed.

Reasonably priced.

Stays on during tire changes.

Comes off without leaving a gooey mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Gorilla Clear is my new go to.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Gorilla Clear is my new go to.
    Yep. Clear Gorilla tape still leaves a bit of residue behind but at least it actually works, unlike the absurdly overpriced and useless Stan's tape. Still gotta re-tape once or twice a year.

Scotch 8896 has been working for me. If it gets mangled changing a tire it comes right off without leaving a residue and retaping is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    YesTubes.

Stays sealed.

Reasonably priced.

Stays on during tire changes.

Comes off without leaving a gooey mess.
    No, no, no and for the love of God, no. If it works for you though, rock on.

I've always used stans tape. Only ever had one issue where a new tire I put on was super tight and the tape got pulled over on one side exposing a spoke hole during installation. Yeah that was a pain having to take it all off, clean it and re-tape it. But I could really care less if there is sticky residue left by the tape. Wouldn't that just help the next layer of tape stick better?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Yep. Clear Gorilla tape still leaves a bit of residue behind but at least it actually works, unlike the absurdly overpriced and useless Stan's tape. Still gotta re-tape once or twice a year.
    So I’ve used Stan’s for a long time on 2 road bikes and 4 mountain bikes, (sorta). It’s difficult to put on, but after that, for me it stays put and works fine. I forget about it, basically. Why useless?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I don't get why the residue left behind by gorilla tape matters. In the event I need to retape, I spend ~45 seconds scraping off the worst of it and then just tape over it. It doesn't seem like a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gorilla clear. I cut it to width on my chop saw, I can get 3 strips out of a roll, enough for 6 rims. It stays on for 3-4 tire changes or at least that was when I decided it looked dodgy and ripped it off.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So I’ve used Stan’s for a long time on 2 road bikes and 4 mountain bikes, (sorta). It’s difficult to put on, but after that, for me it stays put and works fine. I forget about it, basically. Why useless?
    Stan's Tape is too inflexible to conform to a rim that has a deeper center grove in it. I find it just doesn't seal up several rims I've used it on and it doesn't adhere that well no matter how clean the rim is.

You know there are different widths of stans tape right? Buy the right width, then pull it tight as you apply it. I've never had an issue. Sometimes large bubbles form between tape and rim but I assume the air pressure takes care of those once tire is inflated.

Stan’s tape has worked well for me, but doesn’t confirm stick well to rims where the rim bed is dented.

Gorilla Tape is a stickier and does better with damaged rims (which mine frequently are) but seems to lift when changing tires.

I have found that the trick with taping badly dented rims is to avoid pulling the tape too tight when applying it, rather applying it more loosely and pressing it into depressions.

This has been talked about in at least a couple threads, but after you put the tape down put a tube in, put the tire on and pump the hell out of it, (65 psi or whatever), and leave overnight. The tube smashes the tape down. Then take the tube out and etc.

This has been talked about in at least a couple threads, but after you put the tape down put a tube in, put the tire on and pump the hell out of it, (65 psi or whatever), and leave overnight. The tube smashes the tape down. Then take the tube out and etc.
    With rims as badly dented as mine, that wasn’t enough the press the tape into the depressions.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    With rims as badly dented as mine, that wasn’t enough the press the tape into the depressions.
    It'll still get the overlap over the stem hole to seal better, etc., but I get it.

Who the fuck are you people that do your mechanicing more than 15 minutes before you intend to go on a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Who the fuck are you people that do your mechanicing more than 15 minutes before you intend to go on a ride?

It may still be there, but I learned how to mount a tubeless from Stan in one of his how-to videos. His earliestish video said to ride right after installing the tire. I still think that's kinda cool.

Most cases, good rims/tires will end up being set up tubeless. I don’t know why every rim doesn’t come with a precise fit nylon stretched on “ghetto tubeless” type system with valves attached. There’s a flaw in every current rim tape method. Retaped mine again this year with gorilla tape and the stretch on nylon specialized rim liner over top of the gorilla. Having to add air now and I’ll be doing a tire swap soon so a retape will have to happen. Wish that specialized rim strip was a touch thicker, needed a bit more stretch to get it on and went up the inner sidewall of the rim with soft rubber glued on it the width of the sidewall and a bit above. Pennies for a bit of nylon and rubber

I have some tubeless rim liner from http://www.raceone-it.com/en/tubeless-band-raceone/

I'll send it to you if you try it and let me know how it works. The owner says it works very well. It's for 29".

I have some tubeless rim liner from http://www.raceone-it.com/en/tubeless-band-raceone/

I'll send it to you if you try it and let me know how it works. The owner says it works very well. It's for 29".
    Not sure if that was meant for me, thanks if so. It looks very similar to the specialized or Bontrager rim strips. My specialized has worked well until it doesn’t. It seems to roll up a bit at the outer edges and stays deformed and loses the seal. Last attempt I used it over the gorilla tape to stop the sticky gorilla tape from rolling up. Thought I had something but it’s leaking now. I wish those strips turned the corner and went up the rim sidewall. I’m on 27.5’s

Yes, that was for you. If anybody wants to try this, PM me, and I'll send it out. BTW, this is not at all like the Bontrager rim strip. The Bontrager thing is like the old Stan's rim strip to convert non-tubeless-ready rims to make them tubeless. Those rely on the rubber sealing against the edge of the tire. This replaces gorilla tape or Stan's tape on a tubeless ready rim.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 4.42.25 PM.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	576.5 KB 
ID:	242330

Yes, that was for you. If anybody wants to try this, PM me, and I'll send it out. BTW, this is not at all like the Bontrager rim strip. The Bontrager thing is like the old Stan's rim strip to convert non-tubeless-ready rims to make them tubeless. Those rely on the rubber sealing against the edge of the tire. This replaces gorilla tape or Stan's tape on a tubeless ready rim.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 4.42.25 PM.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	576.5 KB 
ID:	242330
    I didn’t see any glue/sticky mentioned so thought it was similar to specialized and thought the Bontrager stuff was similar to specialized(might be mistaken) . Not sure what they mean when they say “satin” finish. Hope someone tries it and reports back. I suspect little bu little I’m filling my carbon rims with sealant��

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I didn’t see any glue/sticky mentioned so thought it was similar to specialized and thought the Bontrager stuff was similar to specialized(might be mistaken) . Not sure what they mean when they say “satin” finish. Hope someone tries it and reports back. I suspect little bu little I’m filling my carbon rims with sealant��
    Yes, you are putting sealant into your rims. The sealant is bad for the ends of the spokes, and also for the stem hole, so stop it! I don't have the exact science down, but some metals are attacked by some sealants. I have an old Mavic Elite that the stem sucked up into because the stem hole deteriorated from the sealant. The Raceone band fits tight enough, and has a funky "satin" finish that seals up the spoke holes and doesn't shift around. I guess I'll try it myself eventually, but again, if anybody wants to try a really cool and easy way to seal a 29" not monster truck wide rim, I'll send it out.

PM sent

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I have multiple sets of rims that have had over 30 tire changes each and the stans tape is the just like it was on day one.
    I dont understand this "comes off or undone when changing tires".