Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    is there a Thai soccer team trapped in your house? Are they still alive? We will send vegetables...
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    What's a French Drain, the water blitzes around your static defense line by steamrolling through Dutch and Belgian Drains?
    Freedom Drain. Put that water on notice.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It is a metric fuck ton... Good info in here though.

That photo is somewhere in my neighborhood, but I don't know where. It is not my neighbor and not my house. Just an example of what happened in the storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

FWIW,,,,,french drain helped me a ton,,,water would just lay in yard, occasionally get in basement during big rain events. so far so good on my job - 2'x2'x100' around patio and side of house - mattock and shovel job for 2 weeks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	036.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	242354
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	032.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	242355

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Freedom Drain. Put that water on notice.

I kinda wonder if they call it an American Drain in France. Like the whole French Dressing thing.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Yo, if you are gonna dig - especially if you rent a bobcat or a hoe - CALL BEFORE YOU DIG, yo

Even in your own back yard.
    Chupie's pic: See that yellow guy wire safety sheath and concrete junction box? Means there's a power pole with a drop to UG power right behind that tree. Call it magic, but I know...Cut that UG at your own peril & expense and tough luck (that shit's expensive like hospitals) if you don't CALL BEFORE YOU DIG.
    Residential gas line is plastic these days. Nice, huh? Works great until you miss the tracer and cut it with a fucking spotting shovel...
    Fiber optic is sooofknexpensive to splice, you wouldn't fucking believe it. Jesus Fucking Christ don't cut a FO line...

Catchin' the drift? CALL BEFORE YOU DIG, DAWGS.
    Last edited by highangle; 07-25-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Yo, if you are gonna dig - especially if you rent a bobcat or a hoe - CALL BEFORE YOU DIG, yo

Even in your own back yard.
    Chupie's pic: See that yellow guy wire safety sheath and concrete junction box? Means there's a power pole with a drop to UG power right behind that tree. Call it magic, but I know...Cut that UG at your own peril & expense and tough luck (that shit's expensive like hospitals) if you don't CALL BEFORE YOU DIG.
    Residential gas line is plastic these days. Nice, huh? Works great until you miss the tracer and cut it with a fucking spotting shovel...
    Fiber optic is sooofknexpensive to splice, you wouldn't fucking believe it. Jesus Fucking Christ don't cut a FO line...

Catchin' the drift? CALL BEFORE YOU DIG, DAWGS.
    This x 1000. If you don’t call locates anything you hit is on you. If you’re lucky you won’t get electrocuted or cause an explosion and the repair bill will be less than $5k. There are a lot of people every day that don’t get lucky.

I kinda wonder if they call it an American Drain in France. Like the whole French Dressing thing.
    They probly just call them Drains over there.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I like cutoff trenches/French drains. A foot deep should do. A foot wide. Fill with filter cloth then 3in of 3/4 in drain rock, 6in big O perforated flex pipe and fill to the top with drain rock and cover with filter cloth (cut the cloth big enough to fit the trench with overlap to cover). Ensure your end of pipe day lights (ie can find it's way to drain away from your house.

If you have overland drainage coming from one direction (say the north) it's nice to be able to run the cutoff trench north of your house In an east/west direction the width of your house plus an extra 60 ft on either side, Then run drains running south from either side of your cutoff trench to past your house. Always ensure positive drainage (the water runs down hill) and that the end of the drains daylight. My $.25
    FYI...you can terminate the drain pipe underground if slope isn't steep enough to actually daylight the pipe.

Make an underground pocket of drain rock, completely wrapped in landscape fabric, then cover with at least few inches of topsoil.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

What's a French Drain, the water blitzes around your static defense line by steamrolling through Dutch and Belgian Drains?
    A French drain is a drain that does not work

PS, they are now called Freedom Drains
    . . .

If you don't plan to plant anything, use gravel that is coarse. And more important, get the one that is the most angular i.e. not rounded. After you fill up the ruts get a compactor and run a few rounds over it. This way it'll resist any flood, but will not be penetrable by larger plant's roots.

Landscapers/geotech/drainage experts - help please

is diverting/slowing the water before it gets to the DG not an option? without pictures don't really know your exact situation

There already are drainage swales and dry rock creeks in the yard, to help divert water away. This storm was so strong that those weren't enough. Also, some of the ruts were from rain gutters overflowing - again, too much water too fast.

This is not a recurring problem, at least not often. Never happened in the 6 years we've lived here. According to the neighbors, never happened in the past 20ish years either.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.