Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    ...Lol. That wasn't my advice. Just something my friend did. He was in a very bad place mentally with the constant abuses from his ex. Despite him being a stand up guy and role model super dad, she took him to the cleaners, always pushing for more, and getting pretty much full custody on top of that...except when she wanted to go out and party, then she'd always dump their daughter off at his house. He was seriously depressed as she was living large like a Hilton heir, not having to work or anything, driving fancy cars, bringing new boyfriends by, all that noise. In the meanwhile, he was living in relative poverty despite his high income. She made one final push to extort even more money out of him, and that's when he was like "Screw this, I'm enlisting" and literally requested the most basic grunt position they'd give him. Now he had 3 squares a day, housing and all his basics were taken care of, and she couldn't take away those things from him. He ended serving a distinguished career and came out the other end a happy man with a gorgeous new woman who treated him well.
    When I was in, I had a L/Cpl who did the same thing. He came home to his wife fucking the neighbor. His ex was awarded the house, primary custody, and a shit-ton of support/alimony. So he just signed up and two weeks later was in boot camp. He went through MOS school and came to our unit.

The problem was: his paternity/alimony payments were nearly his paycheck (he'd have like $60 a check by the time he paid) and he hadn't paid in a while (b/c of boot camp/MCT/MOS school). So, while he was serving his country, he was (technically) a scofflaw who owed a bunch of back support. By the time he got back to Florida and got in front of a Judge for modification, he owed A LOT of money.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I remarked one day what a good client george was for the firm, partner in a very southern redeck voice says "yah. bes thing I ever did for ole george. he came to me oncest. Said john, I'm thinkin bout gittin me ah DEEvorce. I tollum, i saiad george, it's true. you gotta lotta money. I aint shore you got enough for a DEEvorce. yep. bes thin I ever done for ole george."
    Best read while picturing Adam Sandler in The Waterboy saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    When I was in, I had a L/Cpl who did the same thing. He came home to his wife fucking the neighbor. His ex was awarded the house, primary custody, and a shit-ton of support/alimony. So he just signed up and two weeks later was in boot camp. He went through MOS school and came to our unit.

The problem was: his paternity/alimony payments were nearly his paycheck (he'd have like $60 a check by the time he paid) and he hadn't paid in a while (b/c of boot camp/MCT/MOS school). So, while he was serving his country, he was (technically) a scofflaw who owed a bunch of back support. By the time he got back to Florida and got in front of a Judge for modification, he owed A LOT of money.
    austin doesn't let reality get in the way of a good story

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    austin doesn't let reality get in the way of a good story
    Umm, it's called filing a motion to modify child support. You should know that. Sounds like smartyiak's bud didn't do that or had a crap lawyer. Not always easy for most men to get away with, but during the beginning of OIF, the judge thankfully sided with my friend and granted the request. Ol' girl had to reign in her expensive purse habit.

"She was PISSSSSED when his income went from like $100K+/year to like $15K."

I'm reminded of this story about Dave Foley (Kids in the Hall, NewsRadio etc) his wife divorced him while he was a "star" on NewsRadio.
    Foley married Tabatha Southey on December 31, 1991; they divorced in 1997. The couple has two children: Edmund (born 1991) and Basil (born 1995). In 2011, Foley stated that as a result of having been judicially mandated to pay Southey some $17,700 per month, or "literally 400 per cent of [his] income" in child support, he believes that if he returns to Canada he will be arrested.[13]
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

After reading through this, I've got nothing to bitch about.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    After reading through this, I've got nothing to bitch about.
    Right? Now that i am pretty much retired, I always like to hug the wife and ask her how my little primary wage earner is.

It gets better when another sucker finally comes along and picks her up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    It gets better when another sucker finally comes along and picks her up.
    I can’t fucking wait. Like... she has a hopeful or two hanging around, and I want to give them some pointers....
    focus.

I much prefer and endorse the sit back and chuckle method for the new man.

I did the same, I had no job and I agreed to give almost all she asked for, including 2x the child support. I mean, men of honor do that, right?

In hindsight I’ve learnt that unless someone earns something they will never say “thank you” or return the favor. Sadly, some people would actually show you more respect if you had made them drag it out in court for 2 yrs, then they would have earnt it!

Practice saying “I don’t give a fuck”.

There is no place for honor in this shit. It's a tragedy to have to say that because I consider myself an honorable and honor-bound person.

Unless you have someone on the other side who is not actively trying to hose you please, listen to your lawyer. Don't be nice. I tried. It failed. I still behave with integrity and honesty and honor, but for your own sake do not mistake generosity (and getting yourself fucked in the process) for honor. They are not the same thing.

I can still look myself squarely in the mirror to this day, but my only interests at this point are for myself and my kids who are all now of age. Fuck her. What a damn shame it is it's come to that, but it's not on me.

Oh yeah, don't ever get married. No punch line to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Just put a price on her head. A let her know it. Let her choose her pain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Just put a price on her head. A let her know it. Let her choose her pain.

No lawyers, no court. No system.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I much prefer and endorse the sit back and chuckle method for the new man.
    That was my strategy. Worked like a charm. Hahahahahaha. What a sucker! I still have to laugh at how he ended up knocking her up...twice, and even more poetic is I recently learned from a mutual friend that those two broke up sometime in the last year or two, so now he's on the hook for child support for a loooooong time to come. Knowing that psycho, I know she's taking him to the cleaners and making his life miserable. Muahahaha. Gentlemen, this is why you don't stick things in places they don't belong...especially while she's still married to another dude. Guy learned his lesson the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Unless you have someone on the other side who is not actively trying to hose you please, listen to your lawyer. Don't be nice. I tried. It failed. I still behave with integrity and honesty and honor, but for your own sake do not mistake generosity (and getting yourself fucked in the process) for honor. They are not the same thing.
    I agree. Too true. Time to start listening to your lawyers advice on this one. You can still be doing the right thing while not letting her blatantly screw you over, or you can at least try.

well if you do get married

its important to Divorce well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well if you do get married

its important to Divorce well
    good luck widdat. gotta marry well to divorce well.

good luck widdat. gotta marry well to divorce well.
    not ime, if you fall in love/marry someone who aint the sharpest knife in the drawer it may be kind of tedious during the marriage but then it is easier TO divorce well cuz its way easier to put one over on her if she is not so smart

so instead of dealing with a motion to modify child support just ask her how much she needs and make a reasonable offer ... done

just don't let them lawyers get ahold of it eh

Yeah, it helps if they're not satan incarnate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    My nephew married a nightmare doorknob. You know - everyone gets a turn. So this slut gives him a beautiful daughter (yes DNA test it's his) and he got divorced. He fought her tooth and nail on everything she wanted. He wasted $35k
    I told him to stop spending money and make peace with her. My words "her happiness is your daughter's happiness" he took my advice and she has not fought him on any visitation rights. His daughter, my god-daughter is much better off.
    Even a nutcase like his ex could be reasoned with and today he has a functioning relationship with her to raise their daughter with little negativity towards each other. He never says a bad thing about his ex and in turn if his ex did say something, their daughter will remind her "daddy never says anything bad about you so stop saying bad things about him. That worked. The slut stopped
    So your nephew married a slut and then divorced her because she wouldn't stop fucking other guys?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    ...Sounds like smartyiak's bud didn't do that...
    He sure didn't...and should have had the motion filed (and granted) BEFORE going off. He eventually got out from under, but it's a cautionary tale.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/manu...rvey-1.4763013

this is interesting ^^ 1 in 5 Canadians in couples say their other half doesn't know how much debt they are in

Yeah, it helps if they're not satan incarnate.
    Right. I’m reading XXX-ers X as maybe a little dumb, but basically nice. “Basically nice” is a really key piece of the puzzle. Basically nice is at the heart of 90% of why I chose to be where I am. Jury’s still out re: whether having basically not nice at arm’s reach leads to a better quality of life than being in basically not nice’s shadow.
    focus.

yup ^^^ she didn't want alimony just child support and when she started blubbering I gave her a little more but I remained in control thru out that situ which I didnt have when I was married to her cuz she was such a poor money manager

she recently buried husband #4, buddy had a really nice pension which set her up nicely which means she won't be costing her sons a bunch of money ... some people just land on their feet

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Jury’s still out re: whether having basically not nice at arm’s reach leads to a better quality of life than being in basically not nice’s shadow.
    If I'm reading you right I think it is better and hope you get there. Even though there are still exposures to the "not nice" I have to deal with it doesn't hang over every thought, decision and move the way it used to. This is a much free-er way to live. Certainly there are tradeoffs, but much healthier in the long run.