Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SW MT rides

Cliff and wade are sweet but def get super crowded on the weekend. We pretty much only camp out the boat anymore there. The other option which is a tiny bit farther is up west fork and gravelly range rd, tons of renegade spots with lots of wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Lewiston

(Almost certainly won't have time for this)

- Big Snowys/ice cave
    Someone here raved about this trail awhile ago so I asked a college buddy who lives near the trail, and is his local ride, if it's epic. He was confused and said no. So maybe yer not missing out.

Then again, finding a bison skull in an ice cave would be pretty epic.

Line Creek is the coolest ride this guy has ever done. Beartooth plateau is like being on another planet.

There's about 6 campgrounds along and above the Madison River, just west of the Sheep Creek trailhead (West Fork, Riverview, Madison, Wade Lake, Hilltop, Cliff Point). I have a compact car, so I just free camped right at the start of the access road to all of them. Start Mile/Sheep early, it got dark on me!

Bridger Divide near Bozeman is one to add to your list, Lee. As I get time I'm going to post up the TR from our 2012 trip. That was my favorite ride of the trip and one I've been itching to get back and do. We did it as a long point to point but I've read that it can be looped now.

Til then here is some stoke from our 2014 trip. Included White Clouds, Curley, Blackmore, Line Creek Plateau https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...14-(pic-heavy)

A couple from Bridgers:

Is this section part of that, evdog? https://www.trailforks.com/trails/br...bly-to-truman/

^^^Yep, we started at Fairy lake and pushed up to the top of Sacagawea peak, then south on the "foothill" trail.

The icecave ride is cool because of the ice cave and I really find the island ranges interesting. Something about being in the alpine surrounded by prairie. Seems like a unique to MT experience. The trail is fun classic pack trail, not that long of a ride, but a haul to get out there. If they are not threatened for closure, could save it for next trip.

SW MT rides

None of my favorite Big Sky rides have been listed.

Beehive to North Fork

Portal Creek to Porcupine Creek

Mountain to Meadow

Fish Camp to Ralph’s to Uplands

2nd to 1st Yellowmule

Madison Loop > Ullerys > Moonlight Loop

HMU if you come to Big Sky

In Bozeman
    Corbly
    Truman
    History Rock
    South Cottonwood
    Emerald Lake
    Blackmore

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Regct. We've done History Rock Blackmore ( part) and Emerald. Sadly a bunch of rides we were going to do was with Tone who showed us around a lot. This is pretty bittersweet.

Thanks for the Big Sky tips! I decided there's 10 days in Big Sky alone so decided to leave for another but will add to a general list

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Regct. We've done History Rock Blackmore ( part) and Emerald. Sadly a bunch of rides we were going to do was with Tone who showed us around a lot. This is pretty bittersweet.

Thanks for the Big Sky tips! I decided there's 10 days in Big Sky alone so decided to leave for another but will add to a general list
    Ahh I’m sorry... :/

Yeah most of that stuff is on Trailforks. Don’t check the board too often these days so give me a call if you’re ever around. 406-640-2750

Really cool to see all the trails I rode in college again. All the high elevation trails were only ridden by a couple people I knew, and probably only a couple I didn't know or hear about. I waited until August until attempting stuff like Blackmore or Sacajawea because I had to be in pretty good shape before hitting the suffer-fests. Never could find a partner who wanted to do these trails (I could never sync with the few people I knew who would do them), now it seems like it's hit often? So cool to see! People's attitudes must have changed. It was all hardtails in the nineties so our bikes were not heavy like they are now. I don't know what changed but something did apparently. (Only people I know who did the Bridger Divide was The Turk and Pat, those guys were/are awesome and used to rave about it.)

What blows me away is you guys (Evdog, etc.) would do these hard rides, and then go ride for 5 more days in a row, ha. Impressive. You guys get around, too.

Squaw Creek to Hyalite was a blast, too. Lotta road, but worth it.

Pioneers for the win. Also, if you like climbing, we prefer to climb up Line Cr and descend Coral for a really nice loop with no shuttle involved.
    Ton of other sick stuff out there, some is already in a legal gray area though.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What blows me away is you guys (Evdog, etc.) would do these hard rides, and then go ride for 5 more days in a row, ha. Impressive. You guys get around, too.
    I used to be in good shape.... That MT trip was smack in the middle of almost 2 years off work. At one point I did a road trip through CO and UT where I rode for 35 days straight.

I'm planning to go through old TRs and move photo hosting from photobucket to a new site. When I get around to that I'll Ctrl A + Ctrl C + Ctrl C those TRs over here.

Yeah I used to ride 6 days a week and not drink. I am a shadow of my former self in climbing these days, ha. Never did 35 days in a row, that's awesome but your body needs to recover for a day here and there!

I just realized there are some great high-alpine rides missing from these lists....if the locals aren't fessing up I def shouldn't...there is a lot out there for sure.

Dillon is a cool little town that might be a good hotel spot for your Monida ride. Lots of bars and the local restaurants typically have good food.

Finding a motel in W. Yellowstone, Cooke City, Red lodge might be a challenge in August. I would camp on the Beartooth Plateau the night before Line cr if coming from the east. Island Lake is a nice campground, but likely full. There is a forest road just across the highway that you might find dispersed camping. You can hitch hike back up the pass to the start of the trail, although it took us awhile to get picked up. Does anyone know if Line Cr has melted out?

It takes a long time to get through Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Pioneers for the win.
    I have biked into Tahepia lake, looks like that is now in recommended wilderness, "Torrey Mountain Recommended Wilderness Management Area". But the West face is still all open, any good out/back or loops on that side?. Had an amazing steak at the Grasshopper Inn post ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Dillon is a cool little town that might be a good hotel spot for your Monida ride. Lots of bars and the local restaurants typically have good food.

Finding a motel in W. Yellowstone, Cooke City, Red lodge might be a challenge in August. I would camp on the Beartooth Plateau the night before Line cr if coming from the east. Island Lake is a nice campground, but likely full. There is a forest road just across the highway that you might find dispersed camping. You can hitch hike back up the pass to the start of the trail, although it took us awhile to get picked up. Does anyone know if Line Cr has melted out?

I have biked into Tahepia lake, looks like that is now in recommended wilderness, "Torrey Mountain Recommended Wilderness Management Area". But the West face is still all open, any good out/back or loops on that side?. Had an amazing steak at the Grasshopper Inn post ride.
    Yeah, I can’t keep straight what is open and not open on the Beaverhead. No signage, no enforcement, means ride it all. The Big Hole is worth checking out also. Rebuilt 20 plus miles of trail over there a few years back. Great trail quality from Lemhi pass all the way to Big Hole Pass on the CDT.

No signage, no enforcement, means ride it all.
    good news.

The Big Hole is worth checking out also. Rebuilt 20 plus miles of trail over there a few years back. Great trail quality from Lemhi pass all the way to Big Hole Pass on the CDT.
    I'm hoping to do a bike packing trip from there to Sula first week of Sept, fingers crossed buddy doesn't have to stay home and watch his dogs. Do you know who a good contact would be for CDT trail conditions? Don't mind some deadfall, but hopefully not 100 miles of climbing over downed trees.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Do you know who a good contact would be for CDT trail conditions? Don't mind some deadfall, but hopefully not 100 miles of climbing over downed trees.
    You might ask on the Bitterroot Backcountry Cyclists Facebook page. If Lance and the gang don't know, they probably know somebody who does. https://www.facebook.com/bitterrootbackcountrycyclists/

CDT covers quite a bit of area. Headed over to Anaconda Saturday on another section of CDT, will post if I can remember.

I just realized there are some great high-alpine rides missing from these lists....if the locals aren't fessing up I def shouldn't...there is a lot out there for sure.
    Not to worry about posting secrets on this board. Once you get 30 minutes away from any population base here it is uncrowded and you will not piss anyone off.

from 406

Duly warned on Yellowstone. Going to drive slow and honk at tourists feeding bears.

We got two vehicles so can car drop or do the whole ride ourselves if we feel up to it.

Fyi for anyone else reading I couldn't find much camping. This seems the best but its just three sites. Can only reserve the group sites.

Will try our luck or worse come the worse go to Red Lodge KOA and reserve

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/p...O&parkId=71536

There's also these

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/l...O&parkId=71535

http://gallatincampgrounds.com/greenough.html

Crystal Lake Campground near the Ice Caves ride is closed for better part of August!

I looked but there's not much camping around there. Am I missing something? Worse case we just motel it at Lewistown and drive in

Going to ride out and back on the Knife Blade ridge towards Greathouse Pk to extend the ride . That looks worthy

I stayed at http://stateparks.mt.gov/ackley-lake/ when doing that ride. but hotel is not a bad idea, it can be windy.

Seymour Lake trail west of Anaconda. AFAICT it is not yet connected to the trails east. It was a well built and laid out trail in serious danger of disappearing due to lack of use.

We rode about 7 miles out and then back and I lost count of the number of downed trees after about 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Seymour Lake trail. We rode about 7 miles out and then back and I lost count of the number of downed trees after about 50.
    When was this?

2 Saturdays ago.