Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fleas

Fleas

Pretty damn sure I have fleas in my apartment. The last 2 days my ankles have been itching like crazy. Thought it was just skeeters. This morning I saw little black bugs jumping off my damn ankles. I

I feel like this is from my cat who I let chill on the balcony a few timew (indoor cat).

How do I start to get rid of this problem TODAY. I van not have this.

The plan so far is to figure out how to get rid of the fleas from the cat, wash every fucking thing in my apartment, rent a carpet cleaner, and buy lice shampoo.

edit: just because Im annoyed and have been up since 2 am, i didnt even want this damn cat. Since my wifes been gone it has started pissing and shitting on my kids stuff (they are little shits to her). I told her getting a cat was stupid at this point and it just gives me something else to have to take care of.

Get a flea bomb, one that says it kills the eggs.

diatomaceous earth for the long term. a flea bomb will probably not kill all the eggs

cedar oil on the ankles and rug.

look it up.

then borax to dry the eggs.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Make sure they are not bed bugs.

Fleas can carry the bubonic plague.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

There’s this stuff called Frontline Gold, it works
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    aka the black death. BeardMech is completely fucked

Bring out yer dead!

Been decades since we had a pet related flea problem but if memory serves, getting them off the pet and people will cascade to them also going away from the furniture and dwelling. Cut off their food source and they will die or move elswwhere.

My four kittens came loaded with fleas. I first gave them baths to get rid of the eggs and as many fleas as I could. (if you're going to do this I suggest doing some online reading first). Then I followed up with two to three times a day flea combing (get a bucket/tub/big measuring cup full of soapy water to dip the comb in and drown the fleas when you find them) and daily vacuuming of the room they lived in (when you vacuum you need to use a new bag every time removing the bag from the house and throwing it away outside).

I was fortunate that I hadn't given them free reign of the house so I only had one room to contend with. I pulled out the area rugs and used Borax on them, threw out some cardboard scratchers and washed the cat beds every couple days. After about two weeks I never saw another flea. It was a bit of work but it worked and without chemicals which I couldn't use because the kittens where only 2 months old.

If your cat is older you might consider taking it in for a flea dip. My kittens were small and easy to bathe. An adult cat is a whole 'nother matter.

When I was a kid we used flea bombs. Haven't had to use one in years. They work but it's serious chemicals being sprayed throughout your home and you have to do it twice. I don't feel any worse for the wear of having used them but back in the 70s/80s ignorance was bliss.

You can also have your yard sprayed.

I suggest getting the following in your battle against fleas:

A good pair of needlenosed tweezers
    Flea comb
    Borax
    Revolution to treat the cat (fleas that bite her will die not just be repelled)
    Lots of vacuum bags (not sure how good a bagless vacuum will work but if that's what you got use it and wash out the canister after each use).

Good luck - it wasn't as bad as I thought but at times it can seem daunting. BTW - sometimes you can get fleas without having your pet bring them in so maybe she's not totally to blame.

Vacuums get the eggs. Just treat the cat for fleas and clean really well and make sure you empty the vacuum outside and then clean it well. Advantage or any of the tropicals will kill the fleas the cat comes in contact with... ie, eggs that hatch, but its nasty stuff so best to dose the cat and leave for the day. It's less nasty once it is absorbed.

Fleas aren't lice.

Also supervise your kids so they are not abusive to the cat. If you cant do that find it a new home.

the ladies covered it for ya. the short version is Revolution for the cat and flea bomb the house

P.S.

Sounds like the cat is unhappy about things. Maybe your wife was the only one it liked/was nice to it? Perhaps you should find a no-kill shelter to take her to so she can find a family that is a good fit for her and you can have some peace. Please be kind to the animal and yourself.

The Best 10 Animal Shelters near North Bend, WA 98045

You might look into this service:

http://www.fleabusterswa.com/

Alternatively, maybe the cat.will take a bigger role with the kids to help fill the void under the changing family dynamics. Pets are who kids turn to during tough and stressful times. The cat will likely return attention under these dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yeah, but mice have the hauntavirus and people in Washington are dying from it every year. https://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFam...ase/Hantavirus
    Protect your kitty so kitty can protect you

Suggest that you let the cat stay out all night every night. You are near Cougar Mt.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Had 'em in my new place in Snoqualmie recently too, what a pleasant move-in surprise that was. Fuckin' pain in the ass.

I went for the mass chemical treatment, followed by a shitload of vacuuming. One thing I took away from the experience is that I will never, EVER have wall-to-wall carpet in a home of mine. The vacuum cleaner was picking up just as much debris on day 10 of vacuuming as it was one day 1, and the carpet is only about a year old. I was sure that eventually I would see a marked decrease in the volume of shit I was picking up, but nope. Sofa king gross.

Disappear the cat.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

It's times like these... I'm reminded of Gas Huffer.

They hop around and eat and screw
    there a little bit like me and you
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Yeah, but mice have the hauntavirus and people in Washington are dying from it every year. https://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFam...ase/Hantavirus
    Protect your kitty so kitty can protect you
    I miss my mouser so much. Amber was a killer. The new kitty is very affectionate, but a useless mouser

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Disappear the cat.
    I'm thinking the cat needs to accidentally fall off the balcony.