Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    lol damn

Good film.

My favorite part was wondering what the guys making the push to the summit thought when they see a person coming down on skis.

K2 first ski descent

I was also morbidly wondering how many of those climbing didn’t get off the mountain.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 07-29-2020 at 05:06 PM.

The skiing is tough enough but it's the oxygen deprivation that makes it survival skiing. I was surprised to see him link four turns. Kris Erickson (skied Cho Oyu, 6th highest) said that, at the top of Cho Oyu, two turns without O2 assistance was enough to make him gasp for air hard and three turns was like suffocating.

American commentary trio: "iT wAS tHe DrONe". No, it was some badass Polish guy who remains an absolute machine at altitude (Elbrus ascent FKT) who did something radder than Lhotse couloir on O2, Meru, or guiding punters up Everest.

This is just so incredible...
    The RB full length is great, but the actual ski footage may be better (or is at least a great complement) in the 5 min youtube vid
    Love that he passed climbers on the up - w/o oxygen and w/ skis on back... "on your left"
    He climbed and skied the Messner Traverse... which Reinhold Messner never actually completed
    And not sure if true, but I heard that in a prior attempt a few years earlier, a climber/skier was transitioning at the summit and massive gust blew a ski away - probably to China
    Andrezj had pretty good weather (other than the vertigo-inducing whiteout mid-way) but I also read that the avg wind speed at the summit is 75 mph (maybe thats in winter though)
    I wouldnt even be able to get my boots in binders at that elevation. Love how he skis like 20 yards then reaches down to lock-out his toes! Smart move with pitches in the 75 deg neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I was also morbidly wondering how many of those climbing didn’t get off the mountain.
    On average it is 25%. Odds are probably better in good weather, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I thought that it was pretty well done.

I thought that it was pretty well done.
    Would've been a lot better if I spoke Polish - really, RedBalls, no subtitles? WTF?

K2 first ski descent

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Would've been a lot better if I spoke Polish - really, RedBalls, no subtitles? WTF?
    There is a settings option for subtitles.

There is a settings option for subtitles.
    Hmm, looked for that, but not an option on the lousy Comcast YouTube player. I’ll have to try again on a different device

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Hmm, looked for that, but not an option on the lousy Comcast YouTube player. I’ll have to try again on a different device
    Ha! Now I feel like an idiot. The flick is 1000x better with subtitles!

I'd wanted to watch it on the big tv, and the easiest way wound up to be: finding it on youtube, using the comcast box. However the comcast youtube viewer is not a proper web browser, and had no subtitle option.

Fast forward to 50 if you just want to see ski descent

He’s got big balls.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fast forward to 50 if you just want to see ski descent

He’s got big balls.
    Sure, but all the backstory and non-skiing-related drama is actually pretty great (assuming you either have subtitles turned on or speak Polish, lol).

K2 first ski descent

And the creative use of the drone.
    And the first use of the messner traverse.
    And the rescue on broad peak.
    And the discussion of ethics and doing the right thing.