Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Maybe they’re saving the nobis style gs turns, the buttery 360s, and the ski ballet moves for the full length production.

related news: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rick-al...eak-himalayas/

Drone finds climber presumed dead on world's 12th largest mountain
    Share Tweet Reddit Flipboard Email
    A missing climber who was presumed dead on the world's 12th highest mountain was rescued after being spotted by a drone.

Scottish mountaineer Rick Allen was attempting to climb to the summit of 26,401 foot Broad Peak in the Himalayas when he fell from an ice cliff.

Later, when he didn't return to base camp, "a number of people had assessed the situation and come to the conclusion that I was not going to come back," Allen told CBS News partner BBC News.

Brothers Bartek and Andrzej Bargiel, the latter of whom was planning to beat a record for climbing nearby mountain K2 and skiing down it, were at base camp and had a drone with them to film their journey.

When, 36 hours after Allen first went missing, a cook spotted something that looked like a backpack in the distance, the Bargiels launched their drone to investigate. Through the drone's camera, they discovered Allen clinging to the side of the mountain.

A rescue team was deployed, guided by the drone, and Allen was returned to safety with only a few cuts and frostbite.

Allen told BBC News that he had previously found encountering drones while mountain climbing irritating, "but this has changed my perception of them."

Some more footy here:

https://www.redbullcontentpool.com/e...=1532538444774

Would hardly call that "skiing" down K2. He sideslipped the whole thing. Might as well have used a snowboard.

In all seriousness though, that's pretty insane. I can't imagine the effort required at that altitude. Pretty heavy.

I wonder what the total distance of the ski down is?
    27° 18°

I believe I read somewhere the descent took seven hours. If I got that right, can you imagine skiing those kind of conditions on that sort of terrain for seven hours? Jesus, that would be beyond grueling.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I believe I read somewhere the descent took seven hours. If I got that right, can you imagine skiing those kind of conditions on that sort of terrain for seven hours? Jesus, that would be beyond grueling.
    After climbing the bitch no less.

Whatever we want to call it, it's an insane effort.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    ...Would hardly call that "skiing" down K2. He sideslipped the whole thing. Might as well have used a snowboard.
    Looks like me...good to know I'll be able to handle the ski descent of K2!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Looks like me...good to know I'll be able to handle the ski descent of K2!
    Comedy Gold

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Maybe they’re saving the nobis style gs turns, the buttery 360s, and the ski ballet moves for the full length production.
    Maybe they are just waiting to confirm that Nobis didn't ski it first. (wouldnt be the first time)
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quite a feat. So different with the drones these days. I guess nothing will “count” without footage henceforth

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

The old footage from "The Man Who Skied (fell down) Everest" was way more interesting. Those parachutes.. Could have gone horribly wrong but was still an unbelievable mess of survival instead of actual "skiing".
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

That Japanese guy was very much in touch with his inner Kamikaze, a more appropriate title might be " the man who fell down everest "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    That Japanese guy was very much in touch with his inner Kamikaze, a more appropriate title might be " the man who fell down everest "
    He's also an extremely old fuck (at least 85ish) who skies 100 days a year. His kid was a PhD who did a study on why his old man is such a freak. Coles notes - skiing keeps you young. Giver Al!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    He's also an extremely old fuck (at least 85ish) who skies 100 days a year. His kid was a PhD who did a study on why his old man is such a freak. Coles notes - skiing keeps you young. Giver Al!

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Some more footy here:

https://www.redbullcontentpool.com/e...=1532538444774

Would hardly call that "skiing" down K2. He sideslipped the whole thing. Might as well have used a snowboard.

In all seriousness though, that's pretty insane. I can't imagine the effort required at that altitude. Pretty heavy.

I wonder what the total distance of the ski down is?
    Dunno, the 2nd half of this clip shows him getting some good enough turns in (ok, little skiddy, but I'm going to go ahead and cut him some slack, lol):

Yes, at 0:45, you can see him go into survival mode and sideslip a sketch-tastic bit, that looked like it came right up with no warning. But then he goes right back into turns.

I'm sure there was plenty of survival skiing/sideslipping involved though - looks like that slope didn't get groomed overnight.

Extra points for K2 being skied on a pair of Sollys.

K2 missed an opportunity there...

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Yes, at 0:45, you can see him go into survival mode and sideslip a sketch-tastic bit, that looked like it came right up with no warning. But then he goes right back into turns.
    V skecth. I'm sure one of many 'oh fuck!' moments, especially when you think of how other attempts turned out.
    Last edited by danmelon; 08-02-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My lord. Furthermore, can you imagine the relief at finishing? I'd be sobbing like a child for days.

The way he strolls up through the DZ with his chin held high is pretty darn impressive too.

Of course, drones have operational ceilings, so some of that upclimb footy may have been good editing. But he still climbs like a billy goat.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Of course, drones have operational ceilings, so some of that upclimb footy may have been good editing. But he still climbs like a billy goat.
    Depends on the design. Commercially available drones wouldn't fly at base camp, much less the summit of K2. But purpose-built, high altitude drones have been around for a while - around 10 years ago, I remember drone footage from a Trango Nameless Tower climbing route (over 20,000 ft). This guy flew his own design to 33,000 ft: https://gizmodo.com/flying-a-tiny-dr...s-y-1824176215

Anyhow, one thing I realized is that the drones on this expedition were most likely not just to document, but also to navigate. I fully assume the drone pilot (or someone watching the drone cams) was advising dude on conditions/route. Which makes sense.

Not that that takes anything away from his truly awesome acoomplishment. Can't wait to see more complete coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Depends on the design. Commercially available drones wouldn't fly at base camp, much less the summit of K2. But purpose-built, high altitude drones have been around for a while - around 10 years ago, I remember drone footage from a Trango Nameless Tower climbing route (over 20,000 ft). This guy flew his own design to 33,000 ft: https://gizmodo.com/flying-a-tiny-dr...s-y-1824176215

Anyhow, one thing I realized is that the drones on this expedition were most likely not just to document, but also to navigate. I fully assume the drone pilot (or someone watching the drone cams) was advising dude on conditions/route. Which makes sense. .
    That's what occured to me also. It's quite the accomplishment in itself, however, I believe the drone(s) were instrumental to the success of the operation. They were the eyes in the sky for Andrzej.

Quote Originally Posted by RXevolv View Post
    That's what occured to me also. It's quite the accomplishment in itself, however, I believe the drone(s) were instrumental to the success of the operation. They were the eyes in the sky for Andrzej.
    In fairness, very few people even climb 8000m peaks without considerable aid from many other parties/technologies (sherpas, oxygen, satellite phone communicated weather forecasts, and so on). To me this doesn't really take much away from the feat.

Wow that's amazing

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    that's incredible... some of that terrain looks absurdly sketch. 3 gels for food. and the piss stain on the snow at the summit looks like someone poured a bottle of molasses out.

He had to duck a rope above 8000m!