Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do I rethink my quiver?

Inspired by a gear swap thread from a guy re-thinking his quiver, which was remarkably similar to mine - PMGear and Praxis dominated.

ME: 180lb, semi-aggressive. Blah blah blah former racer like everyone else. Like skiing fast and long radius turns. Grew up on east coast ice, now live in Bay Area and ski Tahoe. I’m happy in tight trees and bombing groomers. Resort 80% tour 20%. Most resort time is with 5 year old mini-me.

Quiver
    - 183 orange carbon era PMGear Bros with Dukes. Daily driver. Also touring rig. I’m a very lazy tourer. One of you mags offered me cash on the spot for these sticks on a lift at Solitude last season.
    - 187 Praxis GPOs with Pivots. Powder days Did not love these skis until I detuned the tips and tails. Now I really really like them but not sure I’m in love.
    191 Buddha sploders. Groomer days.
    177 Volants. Gaper day skis but these skis still make me happy in the pants after all these years.

What am I missing? My quiver is old. I really like it. But I’m not in love. Should I be looking at other options?
    Last edited by mikefut; 07-21-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Do I rethink my quiver?

191 Head Monster 98 for firm.

Praxis Rx or Quixote instead of GPO, if you want more charger pow skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like you need an ~110 underfoot "playful charger" in about 185.
    Not sure of the answer specifically. Nordica Enforcer 110?
    Wren 108?
    Ranger 108?
    Buy more skis!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Enforcer 110 or Wren 108 might be the ticket for OP.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would try to make an ON3P demo day. You might really like the Wren 108 as a daily driver (replacement for Bro) and the BG as a pow ski (replacement for GPO). But if you want a more traditional feeling pow ski, the RX or Wren 114 both seem like good choices. What don’t you love about the GPO?

What do your 20% touring days look like? Frankly, I can’t imagine riding inbounds on anything but metal binders and touring on anything but tech binders. But the new Sally shift might be a perfect replacement for your Dukes...after it’s been out for long enough for any initial bugs to be worked out.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 07-21-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

So I am sorta in the same boat. Really looking into my quiver for a serious change. Only issue I have is I really love all the skis in it. But I think it can be smallerer and betterer.
    With that said. Why not add a true pow ski, a 108ish ski then a carver/firm snow ski?
    Pow ski: 192 ProTest
    108ish: Wren 108 or skinny RX
    98ish: not sure maybe what beetle said, 191 seems long, thinking 186.

For groomer days get a groomer ski like a kid's (183/24m) or woman's (188/30m) GS ski. I'm a little lighter than you and the men's GS skis are too intense for me (you can get the 195/35's for almost nothing though since the rules changed last year). A pair of 165 SL skis can be super fun too if you want a work out or have crowded groomers but decent ones are harder to find for cheap. Or, if you want to chill more, any number of 70-90mm squared off tail groomer skis out there from Head Titan/Ralley/supershape to Kastle mx78/88/89 etc etc. If you know how to turn, the energy across the fall line and precision will make a blah day into a good one. Monsters are fun on groomers too but give up some pop and inensity for versitilty in soft snow but you already have soft snow days wired.

Even old and cheap race/racy skis with a good tune can be a blast.

Skiing firm groomers on 90+ waisted skis can be about as fun as skiing deep powder on 98s. Sure it is fun but it can be more fun.

Do I rethink my quiver?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    So I am sorta in the same boat. Really looking into my quiver for a serious change. Only issue I have is I really love all the skis in it. But I think it can be smallerer and betterer.
    With that said. Why not add a true pow ski, a 108ish ski then a carver/firm snow ski?
    Pow ski: 192 ProTest
    108ish: Wren 108 or skinny RX
    98ish: not sure maybe what beetle said, 191 seems long, thinking 186.
    I said I didnt need to redo the quiver this year, but I was wrong. My problem is I dont love a lot of the skis I got hyped into buying, and a few years ago made a vow to myself to sell all skis I dont love..

I am forgoing the powder specific ski this year. Sticking to skis under 120mm. Cant justify buying a 135mm fatty right now, and don’t see the point of an untracked ski being under 130mm anymore.

The 108mm range is really Meh for me. They have to grip firm snow incredibly well for me to choose them over a 115ish mm ski. Only skis I “love” in this category are Monster 108s. If you guys want your 108mm skis to grip firm the way I want them too, Idk if the W108s are the ticket. But if you want a soft snow orientated 108mm ski, they are one of the best. It really depends on what youre looking for. I am most likely changing over the W108s to touring skis, either that or selling them. Going to detune them first though, and see if that helps them on firm.

Kopi, you should have no issues riding the 191 Monster 98s. I have the 184 98s. I was going to sell them and get the 191s, but dont see where I’d use them over the 191 108s (I always prefer the wider skis). The skis in the monster line up are all super easy to ski for how burly they are. The weight feels all underfoot, and swing weight is not as fatiguing as you’d expect. 191 Monster 108s rip bumps, I bet the 191 98s are even better. I really just want someone to buy the pair of 2018 191 98s on ebay, new with bindings for $500, so I can stop looking at them... The monster 108s and 98s are pretty dead feeling, and have a one dimensional turn radius, but I just so happen to really get along with that one dimension. Maybe you will too.

I am selling 6 pairs this year, but added 3. Trying to thin the quiver as much as my obsessive and compulsive behavior (I obsess so you guys don’t have to!) will allow me to. The scientific side of my brain also needs to do more comparisons! Sold C&Ds, k108s..selling 186 k116s, 184 m98s, and two others. Maybe W108s. Added 188 Moment PB&j, 191 k2 Shreditor 102, and 190 Moment Wildcat. Got shreds and pbjs for cheap. Splurged with the Wildcat since Moment has really stepped up their quality and finish on their new skis. Happy to be back on Moments.

For anyone interested, I think level nine sports still has a pair of 191 Shreditor 102s new for $200.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 07-23-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Do I rethink my quiver?

TLDR: Praxis Rx

Do I rethink my quiver?

In reply to your word vommit.
    I also don’t really get the 108-110 ski category. For me personally I would thin my quiver to this.
    Pow, hot pow, slush ski: 192 ProTest, duh
    Chopped pow: 191. either the BG, RX, or a heavy build Praxis Lhasa Fat
    Softish firmish ski: 189 skinny RX, damn that ski really speaks to me.
    Then maybe but not necessary, something 95-98ish for the firmerer day’s.

Shreditorereror

What are these Lhasas you speak of? Do they costs Lhasa money?

Do I rethink my quiver?

PMGear Lhasa 191 FAT. Splat owner of defunct PMGear, went to Keith and is looking at having him press some Lhasa Fats in a praxis layup. I own them in the PM Gear hybrid construction. Kickass ski.
    In response to the Shreditor comment, but tissue paper bases and not the lift line cred of an indy company. That’s all that really matters anyhoo.

So Funky. What is the tip/tail difference in the Lhasa fat? Is it also 19-20 mm's? Regular Lhasa way too pintaily imo.

^^^ Lhasa Fat 144-117-125.5

Although I think Pat made the Lhasa Fat a bit fatter than that near the end of production.

PS I hated the 186 Lhasa which had a more pronounced pintail.

PPS Lhasa Fat … beat ski evar!!!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Best ski evar=Head Boneshaker 146-125-135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180411_155643341_HDR.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	899.0 KB 
ID:	242155

Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ Lhasa Fat 144-117-125.5

Although I think Pat made the Lhasa Fat a bit fatter than that near the end of production.

PS I hated the 186 Lhasa which had a more pronounced pintail.

PPS Lhasa Fat … 2ndbeat ski evar!!!
    Last edited by tuco; 07-22-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Do I rethink my quiver?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    So Funky. What is the tip/tail difference in the Lhasa fat? Is it also 19-20 mm's? Regular Lhasa way too pintaily imo.
    It’s a semi pin, biradius vert killer. The FAT doesn’t have that wash out effect that a lot of true pintail skis seem to have. It will get loose in pow when brought up to speed in a predictable fashion and then carve a mother fucking trench getting back to the lift. The tip shape just cuts a path in chop and breakable crust leading the way for the rest of the ski so effortlessly.
    Pluff hit the dims.

Your in Tahoe, stop by Moment and demo a pair of Meridians, 147-117-137. Also try the Deathwish, 112 under foot so just barely
    above 110. Deathwish is dynamite in tight trees, big enough for powder days and triple camber rails on groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    hasn’t nwskier told you Kopi only ski’s Soul7’s now?
    They are the pinnacle of design and performance...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Your in Tahoe, stop by Moment and demo a pair of Meridians, 147-117-137. Also try the Deathwish, 112 under foot so just barely
    above 110. Deathwish is dynamite in tight trees, big enough for powder days and triple camber rails on groomers.
    Have you skied the 117 Meridians?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefut View Post
    ...Resort 80% tour 20%. Most resort time is with 5 year old mini-me.
    ...Should I be looking at other options?
    Maybe add a ski that maximizes your fun with a 5-year-old at Tahoe inbounds???

If you like that idea, then I know 2 ways that I increase my fun with "slow-ish" skiers.

METHOD 1: Ski at maximum speed (i.e. speed is fun) for a stretch, then stop and wait for the slow-ish skiers to catch up, then repeat (ideally never losing a visual on the slow-ish skiers). For that, just continue to use any of your current skis that are fun at high speeds.

METHOD 2: Ski slow on a ski that is maximally fun at slow speeds. IMO, a short O.G. Hellbent is super-fun at slow speeds---you just actively seek every playful natural feature, and zigzag back-and-forth way way left and way way right to make sure you hit every single feature, and that slows you down enough for the slow-ish skiers to keep up. People look at you like "WTF? That is the most contrived and inefficient line I have ever seen anyone ski", but it is fun and increases your time to get down the run, so you are still "with" your slow-ish partners at all times. Volant Spatula is also very fun at slow speeds. Probably most of the pivoty exaggerated rocker-tail ski models, in a very short length (i.e. a short agile length instead of a long stable length), will be fun at slow speeds (e.g. JJ, Gunsmoke, Bent Chetler, Shreditor, Rocker2 122, Helldorado, etc.)

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Best ski evar=Head Boneshaker 146-125-135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180411_155643341_HDR.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	899.0 KB 
ID:	242155

Fixed
    I'll put those on the list.
    To be honest, after owning the Fat I haven't really even lusted too much for new skis (well maybe BGs or SGs).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Maybe add a ski that maximizes your fun with a 5-year-old at Tahoe inbounds???

METHOD 2: Ski slow on a ski that is maximally fun at slow speeds. IMO, a short O.G. Hellbent is super-fun at slow speeds---you just actively seek every playful natural feature, and zigzag back-and-forth way way left and way way right to make sure you hit every single feature, and that slows you down enough for the slow-ish skiers to keep up. People look at you like "WTF? That is the most contrived and inefficient line I have ever seen anyone ski", but it is fun and increases your time to get down the run, so you are still "with" your slow-ish partners at all times. Volant Spatula is also very fun at slow speeds. Probably most of the pivoty exaggerated rocker-tail ski models, in a very short length (i.e. a short agile length instead of a long stable length), will be fun at slow speeds (e.g. JJ, Gunsmoke, Bent Chetler, Shreditor, Rocker2 122, Helldorado, etc.)

I like this idea the most. IMHO Bros with dukes aren't exactly fun for dancing around on the slopes with slow people. Stiff, long turn radius, high stand height -- I can't imagine something I would rather avoid skiing slow on.

I've grabbed a softer-than-usual 90-100mm ski for a similar purpose (skiing with SO and mom) this season. A ski that you can bend in various turn shapes below 20mph and is playful makes slow days a lot more fun. Line Blend, On3p Kartel, K2 Shredditor 92/102, something of that sort. Although I think the Deathwish is also a good recommendation as it's relatively medium stiffness makes it super fun even at low speeds or in bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I like this idea the most. IMHO Bros with dukes aren't exactly fun for dancing around on the slopes with slow people. Stiff, long turn radius, high stand height -- I can't imagine something I would rather avoid skiing slow on.

I've grabbed a softer-than-usual 90-100mm ski for a similar purpose (skiing with SO and mom) this season. A ski that you can bend in various turn shapes below 20mph and is playful makes slow days a lot more fun. Line Blend, On3p Kartel, K2 Shredditor 92/102, something of that sort. Although I think the Deathwish is also a good recommendation as it's relatively medium stiffness makes it super fun even at low speeds or in bumps.
    4FRNT Cody. Super fun ski at slower speeds yet can go fast n straight when needed. 102 underfoot. It’s my good off ski when with the family or the conditions are so that you can’t go Mach schnell all the time. Super playful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    4FRNT Cody. Super fun ski at slower speeds yet can go fast n straight when needed. 102 underfoot. It’s my good off ski when with the family or the conditions are so that you can’t go Mach schnell all the time. Super playful.
    I'll keep that on my look out list.

If budget ain't a thing: Piste Jib in #3 is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'll keep that on my look out list.

If budget ain't a thing: Piste Jib in #3 is the answer.
    I actually have a 184 Piste Jib #3 flex with veneer and a heavy core I've been thinking about selling. It's mounted with sth2's at -1 from the line for a 307 bsl.

It's a fun ski but I barely skied it last year. I think that it has a couple of chips in the topsheet but overall it's in pretty good shape.