Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    this one most likely: Would it be easier to take my club's transport back to Geneva airport and then grab a shuttle to Chamonix or Courmayer.

Point to point in the Alps is usually a challenge and a lot of dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm trying to use up points for this extended trip, which may put me in Chamonix/Courmayer for the second week, since they have much more in the way of beds than Val available to me on my card. I'm actually considering Couramayer more. More mellow, easy bus access to Chamonix, and better food. Sounds like the crowd is better, too. I don't disco.
    Would it be easier to take my club's transport back to Geneva airport and then grab a shuttle to Chamonix or Courmayer, or is there a way to get from Val D'Siere to one of those two places by private transport?
    You might be able to get a transfer from Albertville to Chamonix if you can get dropped off there?

There are a bunch of easily goggled euro sites that will get you a price for a private transfer from local taxi/van firms.

Courmayeur is probably more your cup o tea than the Chamonix ski areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Probably. I've never worn a harness.

Probably. I've never worn a harness.
    You should definitely look into hiring a guide to do some harnessey stuff. There's a bunch of guided/heli activity that starts/finishes from the bottom of Zerrotta chair in Courmayeur or off the new Skyway Monte Bianco - (which you should go up just for the ride - an incredible piece of engineering) - including from there down the VB to Chamonix hop on a bus back to Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You might be able to get a transfer from Albertville to Chamonix if you can get dropped off there?

There are a bunch of easily goggled euro sites that will get you a price for a private transfer from local taxi/van firms.
    I'd have the bus drop you in Sainte-Foy or Bourg St. Maurice if you're looking to save cash on the taxi. It will be a bit cheaper than Val d'Isere to Courmayeur.
    Val d'Isere to Geneva to Courmayeur will double or, likely, triple your travel time.

That's interesting, because there may be an "option" of this trip over to Bourg St. Maurice. So, you're telling me that it's easier and cheaper to get to Chamonix from there? How about staying there?

That's interesting, because there may be an "option" of this trip over to Bourg St. Maurice. So, you're telling me that it's easier and cheaper to get to Chamonix from there? How about staying there?
    1. Easier? Yes. Provided the roads are clear. Most likely they will be. 2:10 from V d'I to Bourg to Cormayeur vs. 4:30 (minimum) V d'I to Geneva to Cormayeur. I doubt you could do it in 4:30 due to transfer lay-over.
    2. Cheaper? Cheaper by taxi from Bourg than by taxi from Geneva. Pricing this out will be easy. Lots of taxi services all of which are used to ferrying skiers and gear. Don't think there's bus service or rail from Bourg, so get taxi quotes and factor in potential currency fluctuations.
    3. Staying in Bourg? No experience. I bet it's great. If you have the option and can bail after a day and night if you don't like it, I'd take the chance.

I've calculated rough trip times and routes based on Cormayeur instead of Cham as you seemed likely to base yourself in Italy and take day trips to France. Even if you change your mind and want to stay in Cham, Bourg or Ste. Foy will be closer and likely faster and cheaper, than Albertville, Annency and Geneva. I say "likely" because you could experience traffic (due to an accident or crushing snowfall) on the D1090/SS26--just as you could on the longer routes from the west. You won't know until the day; but all things being equal, leaving from Bourg/Ste. Foy will get you to Cormayeur fastest.

Thanks.

Actually, cab fare from Geneva may be the same or similar. Bourg will still be cheaper than other towns like Albertville. The real savings is in time and simplicity.

Going to Val d'sere (actually Tignes) this winter and staying in some gootch hotel. What's the deal on the spa's there (I'm american), I swear I am asking this for my dad, is it full-on nude like in austria and SUI or what. Just need to know how to prepare my squad.

Como se dice "gootch"?

Como se dice "gootch"?
    Gootch = Gucci. Fashionable. Unnecessarily fancy. High price, regardless of "value."

That's a term thst could bring trouble in New Jersey.

Benny why don’t you modify your plans a bit and attend eurobbi?

Already paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You didn’t say where in Spain... all my time in Spain has been spent around Barcelona and Girona and that section of coast, (I guess sticking to the theme of my earlier post).
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    The gal we are going to see has a couple houses...one in Santander on the north coast where I really want to go and that is where my sister spent three months back in the day, and she has a country house in Jerez de la Frontera in southern Spain so we are thinking we fly into Madrid so we can be central to either one, visit her first and then go off on our own and end up flying out of Lisbon, Portugal since everybody in my family seems to want to go there.
    We just booked our tickets. So stoked. Chicago to Madrid last week of September for just shy of two weeks into October. The girl we hosted when I was a kid (Salome) as an exchange student for an entire school year has a hunting lodge in the south of Spain among other houses I think. It will be hunting season so I think they will be there at some point. Looks like she has done okay for herself. http://www.dehesalamojea.com/welcome Also probably circle to somewhere coastal in Portugal. Santander in the north of Spain is a target since that is where Salome grew up and my sister visited her there for 3 months at the end of the school year here. Finally after I drop the wife and kids off to fly back to work and school we (my sis and mom and dad) will have a few days to run up to the Pyrenees for some mountain time.

In Madrid, don't miss the Prado, amazing collection of art. Jump on the train and do a day trip to Toledo, especially the Cathedral. If you get near Granada, do not miss the Alhambra. Reserve tickets ahead of time.

Spanish ham products are awesome.