Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Val d'Isère Question

I will probably hook up with a ski club for Val d'Isère next March. Decent deal. Week only, of course, so, since Benny is loose and carefree, he wants to extend one or maybe two weeks more. All I lose in the package is return flight if I do that, which is cheap to replace. So, my question is, do I travel elsewhere after the week (Chamonix, duh, much more) or is Val d'Isère enough to explore for that time period. Place is huge. I'll learn a lot first week. Why not just concentrate on one ticket?

If so, lodging reco, please, single room. Without car.

First time in Europe. Can't fucking wait.

Val d'Izzle has loads, not just the immense lift-served ski area shared with Tignes, but there's some great touring options to the left of the piste map, heading towards Italy, and you have a whole host of other resorts within a stone's throw that are worth seeing that are relatively easy to access with public transport. St Foy en Tarentaise, Les Arcs, La Rosiere (and thus, La Thuile)... sure, you COULD relocate and see more of the Alps, but there *is* enough to keep you busy in the Espace Killy and the Tarentaise without needing to do so.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Val d'Isère Question

I like to stay in one area, mostly, when I do a trip like that. You get to learn the area, find your favorite café/patisserie, ski lines repeatedly that you like. So often it seems, just as you start to figure a place out, you have to leave.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Spent a week in Val years ago (1998 maybe). Go somewhere else with you bonus days especially Cham. Just my opinion with basically your same Yurp skiing background. It was my first and still only trip to Yurp and I think you probably need to move around to get a feel for the Alps because I sure as shit don't feel like I was educated. Val is cool with tons of stuff but definitely gtfo and move around. See any of Busters threads.

Hmmm... maybe that makes sense if you don’t go to Europe or don’t think you’ll ever go to Europe again. I’ve been to Europe so many times I have no idea what the number is, 50 times?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hmmm... maybe that makes sense if you don’t go to Europe or don’t think you’ll ever go to Europe again. I’ve been to Europe so many times I have no idea what the number is, 50 times?
    Explains your love for V dubs at least partially. Weren't you in JH last year when I was? We should have had a beer. On a brighter note I think we are going to do Spain next fall to see an exchange student super beautiful girl we (my sister) hosted when I was a schooler. Cannot wait.

Did four days there back in Jan 2013. You can ski pretty much the whole place of Val/Tignes in that time. Can repeat areas - had a nice powder day on one day. Recommend you go see something else when complete. You will be happy that you did and were able to adventure more.

Nobody knows what the conditions will be like, who you’ll meet or if your still even in one piece.
    Stay flexible, make the call the day of departure.

Val d'Isère Question

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Explains your love for V dubs at least partially. Weren't you in JH last year when I was? We should have had a beer. On a brighter note I think we are going to do Spain next fall to see an exchange student super beautiful girl we (my sister) hosted when I was a schooler. Cannot wait.
    I think we did overlap a couple days in Jackson Hole. We hung out next to Nick Wilson’s and drink pictures of whatever. Maybe this winter?
    Maybe not so much my love of V dubs or German cars, but more seeing things from the outside looking in and realizing different ways to do things. For example, instead of driving a pick-up every day, (which fucking sucks balls), drive a car, and then for those three or four times a year that you actually need a pick up, you can rent it or get a trailer, or have some dumb shit loser in Carhartts deliver whatever for you.
    You didn’t say where in Spain... all my time in Spain has been spent around Barcelona and Girona and that section of coast, (I guess sticking to the theme of my earlier post).

If you think about it, people go to Jackson for a whole week and don’t even go ski Targhee or Snow King, so why go to Val d’Isere, which is 6 times as big, (75 lifts v. 12), as Jackson, and then feel you need to drive/train all the way to Chamonix or wherever? Also Saints-Foy-Tarantaise is just down the road and connects to another 80 lifts or so.
    Seriously, just zoom in and out on Val in google maps.
    TGR Forums
    Last edited by plugboots; 07-23-2018 at 09:27 AM.

You didn’t say where in Spain... all my time in Spain has been spent around Barcelona and Girona and that section of coast
    The gal we are going to see has a couple houses...one in Santander on the north coast where I really want to go and that is where my sister spent three months back in the day, and she has a country house in Jerez de la Frontera in southern Spain so we are thinking we fly into Madrid so we can be central to either one, visit her first and then go off on our own and end up flying out of Lisbon, Portugal since everybody in my family seems to want to go there.

Check out UCPA (for a website in English, check Action Outdoors who are their UK agent) for courses, guided offpiste etc. I’ve done offpiste weeks for the past two years in Val D’Isere and I’d highly recommend it. Google what UCPA is about if you don’t know, but basically it’s hostel style all inclusive (inc food, lift passes, gear) that’s great value when you factor in half or full time lessons/guiding. The centre in Tignes has been refurbished more recently than the one in Val.

If you decide to head elsewhere for a second week that isn’t in the immediate area, I’d think getting a shared transfer back to Geneva airport is best. Then pick up another transfer to Chamonix, or go to one of the other massive ski areas like PDS (Morzine, Avoriaz is only 1 hour ish from Geneva).

figure it out a week or 2 out based on conditions. They can vary significantly from one end of the Alps to the other. If it's looking boney in the Tarentaise, then relocate to an area with a different weather pattern. If it's looking good, stay put or at least stay in the same general area. Without a car, touring to smaller areas isn't going to work, but you could easily relocate to another large area close by for the 2nd week if conditions are good in that region. Trois Vallees maybe?

Big enough to keep you entertained for a season let alone a week. Challenging place to ski in a storm though.
    Enjoy man, that place is incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    figure it out a week or 2 out based on conditions. They can vary significantly from one end of the Alps to the other. If it's looking boney in the Tarentaise, then relocate to an area with a different weather pattern. If it's looking good, stay put or at least stay in the same general area. Without a car, touring to smaller areas isn't going to work, but you could easily relocate to another large area close by for the 2nd week if conditions are good in that region. Trois Vallees maybe?
    ^^^this

What everybody said : The Espace Killy is awesome ans the Tarentaise is enough for a full season. But if the weather sucks, be flexible. And, Europe has much more to offer : Will you coming back frequently or not ?
    Also : Val d'Isère is on the posh side... It is expensive and packed with well off tourists. Which may bothers you.
    UCPA is a solid option. (You're supposed to get laid, btw. It's a tradition, at the UCPA. Please, report).
    A very central and rather cheap and friendly hotel : La Galise. Les Lauzes are little more expensive option but charming. Le Kern is also a good and affordable option.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Chamonix is an extremely cool town, and the scenery is mind-boggling. However, despite the mega scale of the place, unless you intend to do some big adventure skiing (off the Aiguille du Midi, etc.), the "inbounds" skiing is mostly pretty tame.

If I were going to make a side trip, from a Val D'Isere trip, I'd hit La Grave. Never been there but it sounds amazing. But then, Cham should be on anyone's bucket list - but I've been there a couple times now, so La Grave has taken its place on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Challenging place to ski in a storm though.
    You could apply that statement to the alps in general, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    You could apply that statement to the alps in general, I think.
    Choose wisely young Padawan.

Choose wisely young Padawan.

?

I just meant: because treeline is so low. Last trip to Chamonix, it was dumping the whole time. Perfect pow everywhere, but seriously difficult to take advantage, as you couldn't see shit.

Well sure, so choose resorts/locales that have abundant trees (especially larches), on their lower flanks, or couloirs, of course.

Well sure, so choose resorts/locales that have abundant trees (especially larches), on their lower flanks, or couloirs, of course.

Ya, sure. IF there's snow to be skied below treeline.

Lots of Brits in Val / Tignes. They also have signs at huts that say "no picnic."

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Chamonix is an extremely cool town, and the scenery is mind-boggling. However, despite the mega scale of the place, unless you intend to do some big adventure skiing (off the Aiguille du Midi, etc.), the "inbounds" skiing is mostly pretty tame.

If I were going to make a side trip, from a Val D'Isere trip, I'd hit La Grave. Never been there but it sounds amazing. But then, Cham should be on anyone's bucket list - but I've been there a couple times now, so La Grave has taken its place on the list.
    There are no such concept as "inbounds" or "outbounds" terrain in Chamonix. Somehow I'm pretty sure you already know this though. The whole point of going to Chamonix is the incredible easy access to some of the sickest terrain on the planet. Grand Evers, Petit Envers, Glacier Rond, Cosmiques Couloir, ENSA Couloir etc. You also have sick "inbounds" things as you call it, even though you are on your own as far as security goes. Eg Hotel face, which has hosted numerous freeride competitions are "inbounds". I guess you could even claim "ENSA couloir" is "inbounds" as it's lift access.

If you are willing to tour for an hour, the options of steep untracked pow is virtually limitless. Just make sure you know what you are doing, if not there is a good chance you end up dying.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    There are no such concept as "inbounds" or "outbounds" terrain in Chamonix. Somehow I'm pretty sure you already know this though. The whole point of going to Chamonix is the incredible easy access to some of the sickest terrain on the planet. Grand Evers, Petit Envers, Glacier Rond, Cosmiques Couloir, ENSA Couloir etc. You also have sick "inbounds" things as you call it, even though you are on your own as far as security goes. Eg Hotel face, which has hosted numerous freeride competitions are "inbounds". I guess you could even claim "ENSA couloir" is "inbounds" as it's lift access.

If you are willing to tour for an hour, the options of steep untracked pow is virtually limitless. Just make sure you know what you are doing, if not there is a good chance you end up dying.
    Yep, that's why "inbounds" was in quotes.

I'm trying to use up points for this extended trip, which may put me in Chamonix/Courmayer for the second week, since they have much more in the way of beds than Val available to me on my card. I'm actually considering Couramayer more. More mellow, easy bus access to Chamonix, and better food. Sounds like the crowd is better, too. I don't disco.
    Would it be easier to take my club's transport back to Geneva airport and then grab a shuttle to Chamonix or Courmayer, or is there a way to get from Val D'Siere to one of those two places by private transport?