Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

subaru outback broken control arm

I guess this is a known issue on Subarus, because they use a hollow control arm (supposedly better for crashes but also cheaper). Mine just sheared off earlier today (don't know how long this was in process, but today is when it really happened). Could have been pretty dangerous, and I'm glad it was just while driving around in the city and not on a highway, although I still came somewhat close to hitting someone since the rear of the car just started drifting out to the side under braking.

Guys at the garage, whom I don't completely trust, think a bad strut contributed to this (caused stress on the arm, I guess).

Anyway, not sure how well you can check on these things, but I would do my best to inspect the control arms on these cars (it seems like the other three on mine are OK, but I'll be keeping an eye on them in the future).
    [quote][//quote]

When things like that go wrong the only positive is, no one got hurt.
    What year is it?

2014. Almost 100k miles.

I will say that over about 250k miles and two vehicles this is the first real issue I have had with Subaru.
    [quote][//quote]

Recall notice? Lots of documentation on corroded control arms.
    A quick search pulls up these years, but they also recalled other years as well.
    "The recall concerns front control arms that may fail if corroded, making the vehicle difficult to control. The action covers select 2003-2008 Forester crossovers, 2002-2007 Impreza models"

I didn't get a recall and haven't seen any online for 2014 Outbacks. But maybe there should be one.
    [quote][//quote]

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    2014. Almost 100k miles.

I will say that over about 250k miles and two vehicles this is the first real issue I have had with Subaru.
    First real problem. That's incredible.

I've had an OB for less than a year and have had many electronic failures. HU was replaced and no issues since....hopefully.
    What i'm dealing with is a nuance but a control arm failing with only 100k miles sucks.

Sheared off?? Not enough info. Bushing failure? Odd noises? You tried to jump a curb? Happened when your kid/wife was driving?

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Now that was a good recommendation
    Thanks again

If I had know about this site no way I would have gotten the 8" Infotainment option knowing what a nightmare it's been for many a OB enthusiast.

The 02 that I stole from my father now lives on with my daughter. 'check the oil"

I'd like to know what part broke and how. I did an autopsy on an exploded 12 hp Kholer connecting rod once out of mechanical curiosity. I'll check back. Gotta mow the lawn.

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  23.0 KB

Doubt this is a Subaru, but it looked a little bit like this (a lot less rust, though):

And I didn't hear any odd noises until right before it was basically gone. Heard a bit of weird thumping, at first when I would do something with the brakes, then occasionally when going over bumps, and then a few minutes later near disaster trying to stop short for a cab that suddenly came to a halt in the middle of Third Avenue. Nothing weird in terms of driving immediately before--not even any noticeably big potholes or anything. I had been driving on the highway and then local streets downtown when it happened.
    [quote][//quote]

I've never heard of a control arm arm "just breaking" but that only proves I've never heard of it. That picture is a rust through. Needs an autopsy. Do you drive in de-icer a lot? Are you doing the work? One look at yours should be a clue.

I don't think mine was rust. Maybe rust contributed, but it wasn't a rust through like in that photo--but the break was similar.

Like I said, guys at the garage blamed a bad strut for stressing it, but I don't really trust that guy (or anyone else there, too much). I have hit quite a number of really bad potholes over the years, one bad enough to have bent a rim and another blew a tire and bent the rim. I feel like it was always the front wheels that took most of that punishment, though.

Drive through road salt all winter, every winter. No way I'm doing this work on it (not really possible where I live even if I were able/wanted to).
    [quote][//quote]

Pot holes and rust on a jap car. Been there, done that. Your guys might be right. Later.

I don't think mine was rust. Maybe rust contributed, but it wasn't a rust through like in that photo -- but the break was similar.
    Drive through road salt all winter, every winter.
    Thanks for clearing that up

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up
    I sense sarcasm but I'm unsure what it's aimed at exactly.

No rust but ....... lots of salt???

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    but I'm unsure what it's aimed at exactly.
    I don't think mine was rust
    maybe rust contributed
    the break was similar
    [and I] drive through road salt all winter, every winter
    [but still] I don't think mine was rust
    [although] maybe rust contributed

Why wouldn't you do a full 4 replacement for piece of mind, and also peek at the other suspension components while you're there.

That's just me. I try not to let things get to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I don't think mine was rust
    maybe rust contributed
    the break was similar
    [and I] drive through road salt all winter, every winter
    [but still] I don't think mine was rust
    [although] maybe rust contributed
    Yeah, there was rust on the outside, just like on the other arms and every other metal part of the underbody. Unlike the photo, it hadn't come close to rusting through. It was pretty clearly stressed somehow and some of the metal was bent back. Again, not rusted through like that photo. So I can't say rust wasn't a factor, but it pretty clearly wasn't only about rust. As the mechanic indicated (in fact, of the three mechanics who looked, not one even mentioned the fact that there was at least superficial rust), something had stressed the metal making in break. Yes, I drive in the winter on a lot of heavily salted roads, and yes there is some rust, but no, it didn't rust through. Pretty sure I am repeating myself.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Why wouldn't you do a full 4 replacement for piece of mind, and also peek at the other suspension components while you're there.

That's just me. I try not to let things get to failure.
    Because all three others look ok and the mechanics claim they aren't like the broken one. And I would rather just spend $1k on this (includes new rear struts).
    [quote][//quote]

Your mechanic. I fogot to ask. You do bring donuts to the shop regularly, right?

Your mechanic. I fogot to ask. You do bring donuts to the shop regularly, right?
    High grade cannabis products carry more gravitas.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Given where they seem to be from I think a bunch of khat would be more appreciated.
    [quote][//quote]

Given where they seem to be from I think a bunch of khat would be more appreciated.
    Donuts are always appreciated. Every decent culture on this planet has some donut-like thing that mechanics use to clog their arteries.

I hear you can get pretty ripped on khat, though. It can't hurt to hedge your bets.