Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Aren't you a gelding?

FAKE NEWS!!!!!

Can a gelding do this?

And off Koufax!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by isisis View Post
    Attachment 241933
    I will correct you...once they are castrated (also known as wethering), male goats lose their "bucky" behavior. They do not stink; I have known dogs that smell worse than wether goats.
    As far as being "enjoyable," what's not to like about a loyal companion that will carry your gear (including booze and camping chairs) so you don't have to suffer in order to enjoy places like these?
    PS--Thank goodness for New Moon Farm Sanctuary and the wonderful goat rescue services they provide!

That goat looks like he's enjoying the hike as much as you! Perfect place for an alpine goat.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    That goat looks like he's enjoying the hike as much as you! Perfect place for an alpine goat.
    Thanks! He was actually a "rescue goat," the neighbors didn't want him any more & were planning on eating him but didn't have the heart to butcher him so they just gave him to us for free. When we went to pick him up, he was chained to a pontoon boat in their back yard. He has turned out to be a great backpacking companion!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2554.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	241958.

Thanks! He was actually a "rescue goat," the neighbors didn't want him any more & were planning on eating him but didn't have the heart to butcher him so they just gave him to us for free. When we went to pick him up, he was chained to a pontoon boat in their back yard. He has turned out to be a great backpacking companion!

Awesome pic!

That's a great story - from being chained up slated for death to set free to wander the wilderness with a friend. Did you know about New Moon before I posted? My neighbors have a whole flock of sheep and goats from there.

I have known about New Moon for quite some time...never been there but they sound like an awesome facility. Good for your neighbor for adopting their animals from there!
    Many people don't understand what it takes to keep goats. They think they can get a goat as a "weed-eater" or "lawn mower; " however, goats actually prefer to browse, like deer, on shrubs, so they can do a lot of unexpected "collateral damage" to the homeowner's property. Their hooves need to be trimmed regularly & they need good fences to keep them in & predators (including neighborhood dogs) out. It all adds up to a lot of unplanned work for the owners, & goats quickly outlive their intended usefulness. As a result, many goats are neglected or sold to auctions for meat. Sanctuaries like New New Moon will give abandoned or neglected goats a good safe home & help find owners that will care or them properly.
    One their preferred plants...poison ivy! My boys will go out of their way to eat it!

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2556.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	795.9 KB 
ID:	242011

I think we need Goat Hiking TR subforum here on TGR?

Awesome stuff there isisis, you sure put a smile on my face (and no doubt on your fellow hikers as well..)!

DONATE TO HELP FIND LEONARD'S TESTICLE
    Wut, wat?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I have known about New Moon for quite some time...never been there but they sound like an awesome facility. Good for your neighbor for adopting their animals from there!
    Many people don't understand what it takes to keep goats. They think they can get a goat as a "weed-eater" or "lawn mower; " however, goats actually prefer to browse, like deer, on shrubs, so they can do a lot of unexpected "collateral damage" to the homeowner's property. Their hooves need to be trimmed regularly & they need good fences to keep them in & predators (including neighborhood dogs) out. It all adds up to a lot of unplanned work for the owners, & goats quickly outlive their intended usefulness. As a result, many goats are neglected or sold to auctions for meat. Sanctuaries like New New Moon will give abandoned or neglected goats a good safe home & help find owners that will care or them properly.
    One their preferred plants...poison ivy! My boys will go out of their way to eat it!

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2556.jpeg 
Size:	795.9 KB 
ID:	242011

Goats require exceptional fencing too which is why I don't have any. I'm fenced for large livestock. Standard donkeys are as small as I go.

I read once where sheep eat from the ground to knee-height and goats eat from knee-height up. They love to climb too! Drive around town here and you often see goat pastured with giant cable spools and picinic tables for them to climb and jump on.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    I think we need Goat Hiking TR subforum here on TGR?

There you go! Fit right in with Bull fighting.

Goats require exceptional fencing
    Typo for electric?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Typo for electric?

Electric does not work well for animals with horns. They get hooked up in it, freak out because of the repeated shocks and end up terrorized while destroying it.

Typo for electric?

No.... exceptional. Goats can get out of most anything. Fencing needs to be stout, high and small mesh whereas you can keep cattle and sheep in four strands of barbed wire and horses in a couple strands of electric tape.

Choose the Right Fence for Your Goat

^sheep need more than 4 strands of wire over here on the west side.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Electric does not work well for animals with horns. They get hooked up in it, freak out because of the repeated shocks and end up terrorized while destroying it.
    To keep goats horns from getting hooked in fences, there is always the "stick of shame" solution.

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	242037
    Seriously though, fences do absolutely need to be "exceptional." In addition to the potential for escape, I have heard too may heartbreaking stories of goats killed by loose dogs. It is one of my worst nightmares.

To keep goats horns from getting hooked in fences, there is always the "stick of shame" solution.

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	242037
    Seriously though, fences do absolutely need to be "exceptional." In addition to the potential for escape, I have heard too may heartbreaking stories of goats killed by loose dogs. It is one of my worst nightmares.
    That's hilarious!

Sadly I'm all to familiar with dogs. Few years back we lost 8 sheep in a couple days to a dachshund/pit bull mix that could wiggle thru the field fence. He could only grab their bellies basically eviscerating them as they tried to run away.

Donate to help find LEONARD'S TESTICLE

Electric fence is all they use for the weed management goats near Isssquah. That and a dog to keep the other dogs away.

Name:	IMG_8647.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	242059

Electric fence is all they use for the weed management goats near Isssquah. That and a dog to keep the other dogs away.
    This stuff?

^ that stuff is expensive! It works great for chickens as well.

If I recall they use the exact same stuff in Berkeley/East Bay for the goats as well.

Temporary is way different than permanent.

You would not want to rely on that netting permanently and OTOH would not want to eat the cost of a permanent type fence (mainly labor) for a temporary period.

Today is the big day! It's where's the Nut Wednesday with Leonard from New Moon Goat Rescue.

https://www.facebook.com/arlingtonve...5731354836049/

Skiball, should adopt the one ball goat, they apparently have somethings in common.

because I know how concerned you all were about Leonard's surgery here's the update on how it went (spoiler - it went fine and he is recovering):

https://www.facebook.com/arlingtonve...yMDM2ODkxODQ4/

Leonard (and many other goats and sheep) will be up for adoption in the coming months at New Moon Goat Farm in Arlington Washington.

As a uniballer myself I can relate to this thread. Mine, fortunately, was not lost so to speak, it was likely burned in a medical incinerator.
    PSA - if your 18 - 35 check your nuts for hard lumps.