Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    abc7 live chopper cam is pretty dramatic
    PE, Mechanical Engineering

I can't believe the Wooley fire is at the edge of Malibu already. That's a lot of terrain it covered in a small time.

Santa Ana winds are legendary fierce
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

And it's mostly brush land.

These winds aren't even particularity bad, as Santa Ana winds go. This could be a whole lot worse.

The good news, the Pacific Ocean is a reasonably good fire break.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

https://abc7.com/live/

Crazy live footage of the fire on the edge of Malibu. There wasn't any firefighters around until the last hour or so.

Winds supposed to decrease tonight thankfully
    Bronson Carbon frame for sale: Size Large

It'll reach the ocean or PCH before that, it won't matter much.

Name:  buttebearadise.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  76.8 KB
    Last edited by SkiBall; 11-09-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Jesus, the fire behavior...
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2018/11/09...rn-california/

54000 acres in 12 hours - that’s over an acre a second. An acre is just slightly smaller than a football field.

That video was brutal.
    I swear on my glass eye,

Amazing Bob

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    It'll reach the ocean or PCH before that, it won't matter much.
    It matters to the parts of LA and Ventura counties that aren't charred like Bruce Jenner's house I mean Caitlyn. I picked a bad week to be in TO. Fuck mass killings and tow wild fires.

Camp Fire is most destructive wildfire in California history: 9 dead, 6,713 structures incinerated

Paradise no more
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

I just lost stuff...important stuff, and a heart wrenching loss, but just stuff. Ventura as a whole is doing just fine. The losses in Paradise is just heart breaking. A whole town wiped off the map and lives lost. That is truly a loss. If I ever get to whinny I give you all permission to kick me in the ass.

This local fire has me stressed out. The friends we evacuated to's house was threatened, but they are out of the country. I know they have cats and a tortoise they think the world of, and I couldn't do anything g yo assure their safety, and it really bothered me. The Hill fire burned to the edge of their development, but the winds were (have been, we aren't done yet) in their favor. The winds are calm tonight, so hopefully forget the upper hand. I love living in southern California, but some place rainy and tropical is starting to look inviting.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

And from the Dick-Head-In Chief: " gross mismanagement of forests caused fires; remedy now or face loss of federal funds"

I will refrain from saying more, as it would needlessly pollyass this gut wrenching situation.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I just lost stuff...important stuff, and a heart wrenching loss, but just stuff. Ventura as a whole is doing just fine. The losses in Paradise is just heart breaking. A whole town wiped off the map and lives lost. That is truly a loss. If I ever get to whinny I give you all permission to kick me in the ass.

I love living in southern California, but some place rainy and tropical is starting to look inviting.
    2hour flight north but we’re not tropical
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

2018 Wildfire Season

Hunkered down in the smoggy East Bay with hepa. Smoke is thicker but not affecting my lungs as much as summer Carr fire. Ozone level? Cooler temp? Particulates is through the roof.

AQI 181 Oakland
    Last edited by 4matic; 11-10-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    And from the Dick-Head-In Chief: " gross mismanagement of forests caused fires; remedy now or face loss of federal funds"

I will refrain from saying more, as it would needlessly pollyass this gut wrenching situation.
    Gross mismanagement of the town caused this. Go to GoogleEarth and take a hard look at Paradise before the fire. There's no defensible space to be seen anywhere! The entire town was densely packed with fuel. Every yard is filled with trees and damn near every house has at least one tree touching an eave. That is just a disaster waiting to happen regardless of whether the fire starts in the forest or in town.

2018 Wildfire Season

Too soon comment. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Gross mismanagement of the town caused this. Go to GoogleEarth and take a hard look at Paradise before the fire. There's no defensible space to be seen anywhere! The entire town was densely packed with fuel. Every yard is filled with trees and damn near every house has at least one tree touching an eave. That is just a disaster waiting to happen regardless of whether the fire starts in the forest or in town.
    A lot of Calibama is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    true
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    A lot of Calibama is like that.
    I couldn't live with that sort of threat hanging over my head. I'm ok with living in a seismic zone on the lip of a supervolcano but I have my limits.