Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21
    it will be difficult with the emotional stress
    but the community of Paradise will rebuild.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Denuding mountain slopes to create firebreaks is obviously out of the question, which means the sites where protected communities can be built are limited.
    Firebreaks, at least the kind I worked on in SoCal in the 70s, aren’t designed or intended to passively stop fires but rather to provide strategic locations for burning out or backfiring. Which requires skilled crews to get in place and fairly favorable conditions. You’re correct that they won’t stop a rolling fire.

I predict some building code changes, no new money for thinning and brush clearing, more insurance cancellations, higher electric rates, more big fires, more homeless people.
    I think you’re probably right, except it looks like there might be some proactive raking according to some highly placed politicians.
    I swear on my glass eye,

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Got a question from looking at the coverage. You see burned out houses but still trees near them. It seems that the houses are more likely to burn than trees?? Yes some trees are burned not seems like a lot ate not including softwood.
    Trees, if watered, are pretty fire resistant. Houses, not so much. Your house, and especially these; which were in low humidity for 7 months, is a kiln dried pile interspersed with petroleum products. Most / many fires start by embers going into attic vents. The trees will / may go out on their own, once the house starts burning, it goes.

2018 Wildfire Season

^^add fences for fires to burn along, leaf/needle litter getting blown up against structures from winds generated by the fire, people leaving windows open as they flee/evacuate, no resistant roof material, flammable other debris (Eg firewood) leaning against homes or under decks, and leaves/needles in gutters.

Ok, Donny, tell us how you really feel about fire awareness and forest management...is there maybe some written record about that?

Oooops....

Who is paying for that tedious Smokey Bear commercial that is on all the time - enough already!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2015
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Trees, if watered, are pretty fire resistant. Houses, not so much. Your house, and especially these; which were in low humidity for 7 months, is a kiln dried pile interspersed with petroleum products. Most / many fires start by embers going into attic vents. The trees will / may go out on their own, once the house starts burning, it goes.
    This ^^^^ Try burning fresh-sawn doug fir in your wood stove or a ponderosa log with intact bark. Although a lot of those standing trees won't survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ^^add fences for fires to burn along, leaf/needle litter getting blown up against structures from winds generated by the fire, people leaving windows open as they flee/evacuate, no resistant roof material, flammable other debris (Eg firewood) leaning against homes or under decks, and leaves/needles in gutters.
    Good reason to have a Class A rated deck.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    it will be difficult with the emotional stress
    but the community of Paradise will rebuild.
    I dunno man, they are stuck in a Walmart parking lot with no money, no insurance, nothing, and hundreds of people burnt to death back where they lived. It won't be abandoned completely but I don't see it really becoming anything close to what I'd call 'rebuilt'

All true. We had a wind break of Monterrey pines (well watered) which came through the fire scorched but survived, the house not so much. Our problem was not the brush fire, I was still at the house for that, but the sting of houses up wind that went up first. Being down wind (winds gusts of 70-80mph, sustained in the 50mph range) from a burning house is not a good place to be. Of all those risk factors mention above the only ones we had was a small amount of fire wood near the house, but in a somewhat protected are. We just put on a new fire resistant roof with modern vents, the rain gutter where in place for about two weeks, and haven't even gotten wet yet. No much/wood chips near the house, etc. Hours of 4,000F heat blowing right at the house was a bit too much. Sometimes you can do everything right and still lose. I even racked the yard.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot