Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Jesus, the fire behavior...
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2018/11/09...rn-california/

54000 acres in 12 hours - that’s over an acre a second. An acre is just slightly smaller than a football field.

That video was brutal.

Amazing Bob
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    It'll reach the ocean or PCH before that, it won't matter much.
    It matters to the parts of LA and Ventura counties that aren't charred like Bruce Jenner's house I mean Caitlyn. I picked a bad week to be in TO. Fuck mass killings and tow wild fires.

Camp Fire is most destructive wildfire in California history: 9 dead, 6,713 structures incinerated

I just lost stuff...important stuff, and a heart wrenching loss, but just stuff. Ventura as a whole is doing just fine. The losses in Paradise is just heart breaking. A whole town wiped off the map and lives lost. That is truly a loss. If I ever get to whinny I give you all permission to kick me in the ass.

This local fire has me stressed out. The friends we evacuated to's house was threatened, but they are out of the country. I know they have cats and a tortoise they think the world of, and I couldn't do anything g yo assure their safety, and it really bothered me. The Hill fire burned to the edge of their development, but the winds were (have been, we aren't done yet) in their favor. The winds are calm tonight, so hopefully forget the upper hand. I love living in southern California, but some place rainy and tropical is starting to look inviting.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

And from the Dick-Head-In Chief: " gross mismanagement of forests caused fires; remedy now or face loss of federal funds"

I will refrain from saying more, as it would needlessly pollyass this gut wrenching situation.

2018 Wildfire Season

Hunkered down in the smoggy East Bay with hepa. Smoke is thicker but not affecting my lungs as much as summer Carr fire. Ozone level? Cooler temp? Particulates is through the roof.

AQI 181 Oakland
    Last edited by 4matic; 11-10-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    And from the Dick-Head-In Chief: " gross mismanagement of forests caused fires; remedy now or face loss of federal funds"

I will refrain from saying more, as it would needlessly pollyass this gut wrenching situation.
    Gross mismanagement of the town caused this. Go to GoogleEarth and take a hard look at Paradise before the fire. There's no defensible space to be seen anywhere! The entire town was densely packed with fuel. Every yard is filled with trees and damn near every house has at least one tree touching an eave. That is just a disaster waiting to happen regardless of whether the fire starts in the forest or in town.

2018 Wildfire Season

Too soon comment. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Gross mismanagement of the town caused this. Go to GoogleEarth and take a hard look at Paradise before the fire. There's no defensible space to be seen anywhere! The entire town was densely packed with fuel. Every yard is filled with trees and damn near every house has at least one tree touching an eave. That is just a disaster waiting to happen regardless of whether the fire starts in the forest or in town.
    A lot of Calibama is like that.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    A lot of Calibama is like that.
    I couldn't live with that sort of threat hanging over my head. I'm ok with living in a seismic zone on the lip of a supervolcano but I have my limits.

Why do you hate rampant, uncontrolled economic growth??

Posted by a local here in W2 (FB page My Town Walla Walla Washington):

I am thankful tonight that my brother & sister-in-law who lost their home & property made it safely out of Paradise. This is his toasted vehicle that he drove through the tunnel of fire with. When I mentioned the tunnel this is what he responded with:

That is what I drove thru. . Fire on both sides with burning cars, exploding propane tanks and trees bursting into flames, my windows were very hot to touch, bull dozer pushing off cars that were on fire off the side of the road. I thank God for my safety . Looking back I'm amazed I survived except by the GRACE of GOD.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I have a sister in Santa Clarita with some property. Have already had a couple fire scare/evacs. Ugh.

i don't know if this matters but paradise was a sleepy little town in the middle of no where

Paradise, and Northern CA in general used to get a hell of a lot more moisture that in the last 10 years of mostly drought. A quick google reveals a century average of 60 inches of rain, add in the Tule fog and fire wasn't a major concern in the Fall. Times have rapidly changed, as we're learning the hard way.

Wife has family in Westlake Village.

Been trying to get hold of them today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    i don't know if this matters but paradise was a sleepy little town in the middle of no where
    It's a big town by Wydaho standards, where everything is in the middle of nowhere.

When I look at GoogleEarth though, the thing that jumps out to me is there appears to be more fuel in the town than there is in much of the surrounding inland chapparal forests and its a lot denser. Bigger trees and more densely packed than in the natural landscape. I assume its from decades of watering the shade trees.

Paradise is on a ridge, covered with timber, with brush, oak, and grass in the canyons below. The ridge on the south side of the West Fork of the Feather R is timber covered. Ponderosa/oak/mixed conifer. Seriously flammable stuff when dried out.

2018 Wildfire Season

From Brian Rice, president of the California Professional Firefighters Association
    The president’s assertion that California’s forest management policies are to blame for catastrophic wildfire is dangerously wrong," Rice, head of the 30,000-member organization, said. "Wildfires are sparked and spread not only in forested areas but in populated areas and open fields fueled by parched vegetation, high winds, low humidity and geography. Moreover, nearly 60 percent of California forests are under federal management, and another two-thirds under private control. It is the federal government that has chosen to divert resources away from forest management, not California.

2018 Wildfire Season

Paradise is a deep red area, it is prime trump and la Malfa base of that area.

I feel like if I were trying to live in Cal interface country I'd be salting my land barren and seriously considering a metal-roof-over-cinderblock remodel. Scary times over there.

It's a big town by Wydaho standards, where everything is in the middle of nowhere.

When I look at GoogleEarth though, the thing that jumps out to me is there appears to be more fuel in the town than there is in much of the surrounding inland chapparal forests and its a lot denser. Bigger trees and more densely packed than in the natural landscape. I assume its from decades of watering the shade trees.
    The whole developed area had very dense pine and Doug fir forests.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    From Brian Rice, president of the California Professional Firefighters Association
    Blame the victim is the go-to strategy in case you didn't notice
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know