Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    600 new corporate type jobs announced on August 5th. Not sure where you are coming from but rental prices are reasonable based on real estate ownership values @$200sf and that’s low.

People bailing on the Bay Area with WFH opportunities and money to spend are moving to LT. People are at the lake are getting priced out and moving to Reno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    So the wife has a job in Reno and we are gonna do the distance dance. She needs to find a place there sometime between midSeptember and midDecember. Not sure how permanent this is, so uncertain about buying.

Was hoping to find a place in south of S McCarran (including Mt Rose Hwy (actually that would be preferable) even to include New Washoe). A quiet 2-3 bedroom apt/condo/house. Apparently my pricing scales are off and things are incredibly expensive and quite scarce! I'm really confused actually as I figured Reno was cheaper than Denver or CO mountain resorts.

Looking across the whole area it seems impossible to find a two bedroom apt that isn't in the $1550-1900 + utils price range and nearly every single one bills itself as "luxury" and is managed by some huge pm corporation. Market is about 33% higher priced than I had imagined glancing at it months ago. It just strikes me as odd that there is such low inventory and narrow price ranges. There is nothing up Mt Rose or in New Washoe.

Is this a bad time to be looking? Or has something fundamentally changed in the Reno market? Or were my expectations just off?
    PM if you want details, suggestions, pros/cons of neighborhoods...

"New Washoe City" is pretty small, and basically just houses -- not a town -- but pretty nice overall. "East Lake" (east side of Washoe Lake) has a lot more housing, including less expensive housing, some businesses, and nice views -- along with a semi-rural Nevada desert town feel to it, which may or may not be to your liking.

If pricing is critical, Carson City might be worth looking at, as I think it's generally a little less expensive than South Reno. It's not that long a drive from the north end of Carson (anywhere around the capitol/ gov't buildings).

Overall, Reno housing seems quite expensive for the typical wages here.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I actually really liked Carson City the last time I rolled through there. Don't know the actual locals take on the vibe though.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I actually really liked Carson City the last time I rolled through there. Don't know the actual locals take on the vibe though.
    I like Carson City too. Minden and Gardnerville are even better in my estimation. Heavenly is just up the hill.
    More cowbell!!!

Carson in the older neighborhoods is pretty -- tree-lined streets, quiet.

There's a more conservative, older Nevada feel, which has pros and cons depending on you. Expect a lot of Trump yard signs, for example.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

airbnb has decimated the local rental market in the most desirable areas close to and in the mountains and its only gonna get worse

Reno median home price is $440K and climbing. Three bedroom rentals are $1750 at the bottom and go up from there.
    Locals who rely on manual labor jobs are getting priced out of the area cause those jobs max out at $15/hr unless you have a contruction specialty skill. Tesla jobs run around $17/hr unless you have a specialty skill.

Summit - I know where there's a 3 bdrm place listed at $197K if you guys want to purchase and just squat on it for a couple years and sell for $300K+. 2.2% interest is nice, I'll say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    2011 would have been a good time to buy in Reno.
    Thats when we bought and glad we did. We couldn't afford it now.

NW Reno has some good schools.
    45 min to Truckee and 45 min to Mt. Rose.
    It is 5-10* cooler than downtown and 5-10* warmer than Truckee
    I's suggest houses built aroung 2000, older will need a lot of work, newer are built with cost cutting materials.
    No state tax over Ca.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Summit, happy to show you around Truckee. I've got a spare room you could crash in for a couple days if you need it. I'm in Glenshire neighborhood, 30 minutes to Reno, 22 to KT-22.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

FS: Scarpa Maestrale RS 2, size 29. Cheep! https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...RS-2-0-size-29

Both housing and rent prices have hit record highs in Reno. Welcome to all you Bay Area expats, please leave your politics behind.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I'm in Glenshire neighborhood, 30 minutes to Reno, 22 to KT-22.
    2h hours and 20 minutes on a powder day/weekend/holiday. Then there's the line for KT-22.
    And the 30 minutes is predicated on no big rigs crashing at Hirshdale and no road works.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Reno median home price is $440K and climbing. Three bedroom rentals are $1750 at the bottom and go up from there.
    Locals who rely on manual labor jobs are getting priced out of the area cause those jobs max out at $15/hr unless you have a contruction specialty skill. Tesla jobs run around $17/hr unless you have a specialty skill.
    You could move to Tahoe. McD's is hiring starting at $16/hour.

And wow, Reno is getting more expensive than Tahoe.

edit- as expensive as Tahoe.
    Last edited by powdork; 08-28-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

^^^^^ Post office starts at $21/hour. But mental stability seems to be a prerequisite so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    2h hours and 20 minutes on a powder day/weekend/holiday. Then there's the line for KT-22.
    And the 30 minutes is predicated on no big rigs crashing at Hirshdale and no road works.
    ^^ More accurate times for driving. Those other posts' times are perfect driving condition times, no traffic, no weather issues.

Summit seems to have abandoned the thread anyway...

Not just bay area expats:
    Kent and Ruby Santin, who had lived in Long Island City, Queens, said they were looking to buy in New York when the pandemic hit. Instead, seeking better access to the outdoors, they changed course and bought a house on Lake Tahoe in Nevada.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/b...ate-taxes.html

Thanks for the input and the offers for beta!!!

Splat and I pm'd about the place he found, but it went up to 290, crazy market!

She found a 2br around s meadows and 580. It wouldn't have been my first choice, and it is pricey, but she can walk to work. (I prefer to be able to play out my back door and commute to work).

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Summit, happy to show you around Truckee. I've got a spare room you could crash in for a couple days if you need it. I'm in Glenshire neighborhood, 30 minutes to Reno, 22 to KT-22.
    Thanks! I'll take you up on that!

I"m stoked to travel out to ski Tahoe and ski with Tahoe mags.

I'm not moving I have extra bedrooms here in Summit if Tahoe peeps come this way!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Both housing and rent prices have hit record highs in Reno. Welcome to all you Bay Area expats, please leave your politics behind.
    Gee, Mr. Honored Gatekeeper, Sir, please list the acceptable political views that won't harsh your mellow. Gee, it's so hard not to care too much about your sensitivity. Gosh, you must be so . . . enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Not just bay area expats:

Kent and Ruby Santin, who had lived in Long Island City, Queens, said they were looking to buy in New York when the pandemic hit. Instead, seeking better access to the outdoors, they changed course and bought a house on Lake Tahoe in Nevada.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/b...ate-taxes.html
    Not to worry, they'll probably just Airbnb it.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    2011 would have been a good time to buy in Reno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Thats when we bought and glad we did. We couldn't afford it now.
    Well played.

To the OP, where are you moving from and what are your pricing expectations? With 3 kids, how much room do you want?

What we might think is high here in Reno now, might be a drop in the bucket from where he is moving from. "$500K? Pfft...that was going to be my down payment.."
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Maybe you hadn't noticed that Nevada is a blue state and getting bluer. One of the strongest union states in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^ More accurate times for driving. Those other posts' times are perfect driving condition times, no traffic, no weather issues.

Summit seems to have abandoned the thread anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    Silly me. I should have posted the longest possible driving times ever rather than the driving times I experience 90-95% of the time. I'm such an asshole.

See ya soon Summit. Bring your bike - you can ride dirt through end of Nov -- or all year if you wanna drive the 6 hours it takes to get to Reno or 17 hours it takes to get to Auburn.
    sproing!

FS: Scarpa Maestrale RS 2, size 29. Cheep! https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...RS-2-0-size-29

Winter tire question. Normally we have Kuhmo AT summer tires and Blizzaks for winter.

Worried that snows will wear down super fast in Reno with the warm winter temps and lack of snow in town... (plus she doesn't like swapping, and storage is limited at an apt)

4Runner going to be OK in the storms with Nokian Rotiiva A/T Plus "all weather" tires driving in mountain storms? (245/75/17 or 265/70/17)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

yes
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.