School me on different flavors of 5.10s

So, I've always ridden (minus a terrible few week period where I tried clips) 5.10 Freeriders. First Xivs then Canvas now Contacts. They fit me really well and I'm perfectly happy with flats. The only problem is that on long descents the bottoms of my feet start to KILL. I have low to non-existent arches that I try to support with SuperFeet Blacks. I run into the same problem with ski boots.

I got to thinking... do some of the more DH-oriented 5.10s like the Impacts or Sam Hills offer better impact (no pun intended) damping than Contacts?

Sam Hills will for sure be the stiffest, and fix your foot pain. Might take some getting used to if you crave sneaker-like sensitivity.
    Impact VXI has treated me really well and works way way better than my Freeriders for anything chunky and sustained. Impacts also wider than Freeriders IME, which is a huge plus.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    So, I've always ridden (minus a terrible few week period where I tried clips) 5.10 Freeriders. First Xivs then Canvas now Contacts. They fit me really well and I'm perfectly happy with flats. The only problem is that on long descents the bottoms of my feet start to KILL. I have low to non-existent arches that I try to support with SuperFeet Blacks. I run into the same problem with ski boots.

I got to thinking... do some of the more DH-oriented 5.10s like the Impacts or Sam Hills offer better impact (no pun intended) damping than Contacts?
    Sounds like a custom foot bed would do more than new shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Sam Hills will for sure be the stiffest, and fix your foot pain. Might take some getting used to if you crave sneaker-like sensitivity.
    Impact VXI has treated me really well and works way way better than my Freeriders for anything chunky and sustained. Impacts also wider than Freeriders IME, which is a huge plus.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks. I know the local shop guy wears Sam Hills because he fucked up his foot in a crash years back. I was really close to ordering a pair of Impact Pros but then at the last minute decided to try the Shimano GR7s which have gotten really great reviews. One downside I saw (besides weight) I saw in the Impacts and Sam Hills was that they have very little breathable material, and here in CA it's warm to hot year round. The Shimanos are supposed to breath well, plus have a nifty built in mini-gaiter to keep sand out of the shoe, so I'm intrigued by them. They might not fix the sore feet, but they might be more comfortable overall. That said, the Shimanos only come in whole EU sizes and I'm normally a split size, so they may not have something that works for me. Maybe I'll order a pair of Impact Pros or Sam Hills to try on side by side too.

Freerider Pro are a nice compromise. Much much stiffer than the basic Freerider/Canvas but still light weight and not yuge like the Sam Hills for example.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Freerider Pro are a nice compromise. Much much stiffer than the basic Freerider/Canvas but still light weight and not yuge like the Sam Hills for example.
    How do you find the sole durability? I like the fit/performance but I have chunks falling out of the sole after 18 months of casual use. The upper is in good shape but the grip is much worse than when new. This is compared to my original Freeriders that I used regularly for 5 years and have a sole that's still in pretty good condition.