Page 80 of 197 FirstFirst ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Oar a sticker on the battery next to the charging port.
    Even better

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

[QUOTE=gravitylover;5739358]A bunch of good info today.

So other than the (inaccurate) gauge on the controller which can't be turned on when charging how would I know those percentages? I've obviously been doing it all wrong, I usually only use 25% or so of the battery capacity then plug it in when I get home. It sketches me out to start a ride not at full charge but I guess if the plan is only for a ride of maybe 10 miles as long as it says I have over 20 in trail mode I should just call it good and go ride.

If you guys know your way around a volt meter you can manage it pretty easily. We need to know your batteries rated voltage, and Amp Hours this is printed on the battery. We then measure it's voltage at full charge. It would also help if you can measure the voltage at 60 and 75 or 80 percent charge. Then we need the rating on your charger. Voltage and amps - it's printed on the charger.

All the bike batteries seem to have one ground and 2 hot contacts that are slightly different voltages. I think that's to drive the displays and control electronics, but not sure.

Make damn sure you set the meter to measure voltage! If it's set for amps you'll fry the meter and the battery BMS and brick the battery.

If your not comfortable with the meter we can probably do it with the numbers on the battery, charger, and use the charge indicated on the bikes battery meter

Tough to do when the battery is inside the frame. On mine you have to pull the motor to get it out, it's about a 90 minute job. Hmm, need to find those specs I guess. The charger has no sticker so I don't know how to find that info. I guess I could call the Norco tech guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Tough to do when the battery is inside the frame. On mine you have to pull the motor to get it out, it's about a 90 minute job. Hmm, need to find those specs I guess. The charger has no sticker so I don't know how to find that info. I guess I could call the Norco tech guy.
    Really, no markings on the charger?! That seems really strange

Shredgnar - I'm rocking a BBS02 (750w) tuned to put out 1250w on an 04 Rocky Mt Slayer. The thing is a street slayer with buckets of power. In the am if I coast the hill I get to 60 kph, on the way home I can pedal up at 43kph if I'm pedaling hard. I'm running a 42t Chainring on a 9 speed, I never use the easiest 4-5 gears. I tried using the 52 it came with but it messed up my chainline really bad and dropped the chain lots. I could do 70 kph with it though . I've never had overheating problems and I run it flat out most of the time because, why not? BBS02 IS powerful enough, but more is always good if you've got the money. With more power you'll blow shit up though. Ive had people come into the shop with busted chains, skipping teeth, busted freehub dogs, worn out chainrings, threads on threadon cassette stripped on hub are issues I've seen.

I ran a nexus 3 speed behind my bbs02 for a year with the 52t up front and a 16t at the back. It had enough range to haul ass yet still climb. With the original 22t on the back I never used the low gear even for the steepest streets. The 3 speed managed to survive.

Make sure you get a shift sensor!

Obviously that's not gonna work lol. Looking at your Norco on line, nice bike! The way this bike is set up presents some challenges. I'm thinking the best way to manage your bike is to use the battery gauge on the bike. Your battery is 17.5 Ah that's about 3.5Ah for each of the 5 bars on your display. That roughly matches the output of your charger - Norco says 4.5 hours to fully charge.

We can say that from 20 to 80 percent, it probably takes an hour to add each 20 pct increment. Charge rate on these batteries slows way down as it gets closer to full. When the charger is going full bore it gets pretty hot. As it slows down it cools off. So a rough way to approach this would be to allow an hour for each bar up to 80 percent. Past 80 the charger will slow down and cool. You can sort of use this to start checking on the charger (turn it off when it starts to cool) and see how accurate we are when you power up the bike. It's a rough approach but I think it'll do much of what we're trying for. You'll probably get pretty good at matching the battery start level and know how long you'll need to charge. Then you can use a simple ac timer to control the charger.

Once in a while let the charger top off the battery and turn itself off. That balances the cells but only needs to be done fist charge of the season and then every 4 or 5 charges

Great info.

A small fan blowing on the charger would help with heat issues on it. Our heavy duty chargers, feeding big lead acid batteries, where I used to work all had fans in them.
    watch out for snakes

That's a pretty significant capacity loss. Is there any way you could have changed the loss rate?
    I’m not very techie and just plug it in after almost every ride. I use the e-MTB mostly in the winter or when the weather’s shitty and I need a little juice, just to get out the door.

Mrs and I have been riding Vibrocore for a few years now. We like them. They are stiff. But on long fast chattery stuff, it turns out that’s a good thing. My arthritic hands notice a difference. I’ve seen a few broken carbon bars, and the best coach/rider I know warns against carbon bars, so we’re going to stick with alloy.
    A few years ago, a German bike magazine did a pretty extensive testing of a bunch of carbon bars. The ONLY bar they tested that was consistent through multiple samples of the same bar was the Syntace Vector, which also showed vastly more cycles before failure. The only bar that came remotely close in consistency and failure rate was the Enve bar. So if I were going Carbon, it’d be the Syntace to save my face!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmy2dollars View Post
    Obviously that's not gonna work lol. Looking at your Norco on line, nice bike! The way this bike is set up presents some challenges. I'm thinking the best way to manage your bike is to use the battery gauge on the bike. Your battery is 17.5 Ah that's about 3.5Ah for each of the 5 bars on your display. That roughly matches the output of your charger - Norco says 4.5 hours to fully charge.

We can say that from 20 to 80 percent, it probably takes an hour to add each 20 pct increment. Charge rate on these batteries slows way down as it gets closer to full. When the charger is going full bore it gets pretty hot. As it slows down it cools off. So a rough way to approach this would be to allow an hour for each bar up to 80 percent. Past 80 the charger will slow down and cool. You can sort of use this to start checking on the charger (turn it off when it starts to cool) and see how accurate we are when you power up the bike. It's a rough approach but I think it'll do much of what we're trying for. You'll probably get pretty good at matching the battery start level and know how long you'll need to charge. Then you can use a simple ac timer to control the charger.

Once in a while let the charger top off the battery and turn itself off. That balances the cells but only needs to be done fist charge of the season and then every 4 or 5 charges
    Awesome, thanks dude! I probably could have come up with that but as my wife says (too often) I'm not so good at thinkin' anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I’m not very techie and just plug it in after almost every ride. I use the e-MTB mostly in the winter or when the weather’s shitty and I need a little juice, just to get out the door.
    If it's a lead battery, no problem using it like that in winter. If it's Li battery and you charge it indoors with it at room temp and then take it into the cold and allow it to cool below 32 degrees you will damage it. What happens is a cold Li battery cannot hold the same charge at cold temps. If it's fully charged warm, it'll over volt cold and weaken the cells. E cars get around this with various schemes like heaters, very conservative charge voltages etc. If your going out in the cold you should only charge to 70 percent. I know, it's not what you'd expect since Cold reduced the capacity. Let the battery warm back up before charging again.

Awesome, thanks dude! I probably could have come up with that but as my wife says (too often) I'm not so good at thinkin' anymore
    Thinking some more about this, is the range indicator a stable reliable figure when fully charged? Or, does it adjust for temp or incline? If it's stable, you can use that to put a pretty fine point on knowing your battery level and how long to charge it. It would also let you use the milage remaining to get pretty close to 65pct for storage

In case anyone missed this travesty on pinkbike.

FTR everyone mocked that including embn and emtb forums. Its just sad

I get home, put both bikes on the wall and plug them in. Anywhere from 8hrs to 7 days later, I unplug them, set tire pressures and go ride. If you’re checking specific charge levels you’re probably also rocking crank boots, cleaning it with a toothbrush after every ride, and putting a drop of Dijon lube on every link of the chain every ride too. In other words, we’re just totally different people.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    FTR everyone mocked that including embn and emtb forums. Its just sad

Definitely. Whoever thought that was a good idea is bad at ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Definitely. Whoever thought that was a good idea is bad at ideas.
    Had to stop. The first five minutes of that race set e-moped adoption back five years.

that made my friday!! Could not watch more of it than a few minutes, how did it end?

Ya it was funny watching them claim it was a great success. One thing i did take from it was just watching the mullet bike , it looked like the right set up. The same wheeled bike just looked like the front wheel could auger in a soft spot. That and someone shouldve ran out and pointed out the gear shifter to that girl

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    how did it end?
    I don't think anyone knows.

If it's a lead battery, no problem using it like that in winter. If it's Li battery and you charge it indoors with it at room temp and then take it into the cold and allow it to cool below 32 degrees you will damage it. What happens is a cold Li battery cannot hold the same charge at cold temps. If it's fully charged warm, it'll over volt cold and weaken the cells. E cars get around this with various schemes like heaters, very conservative charge voltages etc. If your going out in the cold you should only charge to 70 percent. I know, it's not what you'd expect since Cold reduced the capacity. Let the battery warm back up before charging again.
    What if you charge it in the cold? I'm thinking about how it gets transported to ride on the back of the car where it will "chill" significantly.

Thinking some more about this, is the range indicator a stable reliable figure when fully charged? Or, does it adjust for temp or incline? If it's stable, you can use that to put a pretty fine point on knowing your battery level and how long to charge it. It would also let you use the mileage remaining to get pretty close to 65pct for storage
    I haven't had it long enough to know but I haven't seen any indication that it changes based on incline. It's also hard to know if the range left is accurate because I bounce aorund between modes so much. But yeah, I'll get used to using the gauge for charge states soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I get home, put both bikes on the wall and plug them in. Anywhere from 8hrs to 7 days later, I unplug them, set tire pressures and go ride. If you’re checking specific charge levels you’re probably also rocking crank boots, cleaning it with a toothbrush after every ride, and putting a drop of Dijon lube on every link of the chain every ride too. In other words, we’re just totally different people.

Nope, just knock the mud off with a big wall paper brush. Charge only about every 4th or 5th ride.

Don't forget to store both of yours fully charged over the winter

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't think anyone knows.
    Bah! Holy crap, they were racing? They should add a drinking component to lively things up
    Last edited by Iwantmy2dollars; 08-23-2019 at 01:20 PM.

What if you charge it in the cold? I'm thinking about how it gets transported to ride on the back of the car where it will "chill" significantly.

I haven't had it long enough to know but I haven't seen any indication that it changes based on incline. It's also hard to know if the range left is accurate because I bounce aorund between modes so much. But yeah, I'll get used to using the gauge for charge states soon.
    Unless its Near or below freezing I wouldnt worry too much. Windchill isnt usually a consideration for inanimate objects. If its near or below freezing it'd be best if you kept the charge level below 100 pct (around 80% at freezing). The colder, the less charge you should start off with. This is where knowing voltages helps. We have a Yamaha and Bulls bike, the batteries are marked nearly the same voltage but they charge to different max voltages. This has to do with the design of the battery and the decision to get peak range or maximize longevity. Its a trade off. If you need to expose the battery to below freezing then charge to 70 or 80 percent and realize that not only are you starting off at a lowered capacity, the battery will be sluggish from the cold and not deliver the normal range at room temp 80 pct charge state.

Do Not Charge a cold battery. Chances are your charger would not let this happen but it would suck to find out otherwise.

Re Display: Yea, so use the Eco Display to get a feel for your battery state. Dont know what your numbers really are, but say Eco at full charge says you have 48 miles range. Every 5 mile drop could be figured as a 10% reduction of battery level (giving you more accurate information than the 5 Bar display). Keep an eye on it and you should get a sense if this works or not.

You're good at this stuff man. Keep it up and keep hanging out here, we need you

Has anyone hooked up the light that's offered from Shimano? There's a third (empty) plug in the controller and a light option in the menus. Is the light any good or should I not bother and stick with the stuff I already have?