Page 85 of 197 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4901
    Fat bikes are fun, just another tool, then can go where other bikes can only dream of

Here is a shot of me from this last winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I'm in the process of building a legit fat-e-bike, I fully expect to be ridiculed by people who are jealous because they can't go where I can, as fast as I can. But I'm mainly looking to commute with it through the winter and probably ride it to the ski area more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Because there will never be trails built specifically for them so unless they're considered mt bikes we wont be able to ride them anywhere other than on the streets.
    So unless you can ride every mountain bike trail you can't ride anywhere? Don't be silly. Multiple use trails exist all over the place and there are tons of places to ride on dirt with motors. Mountain bikes don't need access to every inch of non-motorized trails in order to have anywhere to ride and e-bikes don't need to be considered universally equivalent to non-motorized vehicles in order to have places to ride, either.

There's no need to get hyperbolic. Access should always be case by case based on appropriateness of the method of travel. There are a lot of mountain bike trails that should allow e-bikes. And a lot that shouldn't. Because the two things are similar but not identical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0209191430~2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	292862

I love my fatty! Last winter was my 2nd season. Something about rolling on 5 inch tires at 3psi....
    Closest I'll ever get to driving a monster truck. I feel like I'm 8 years old every time I set out :-)

Weird year this one. Ive decided i like 9ers, fat bikes and eebs. Wtf

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Weird year this one. Ive decided i like 9ers, fat bikes and eebs. Wtf

Our Grinch has grown up!

Ha, I always tell people Fat bikes are the monster trucks of the mtn bike wurld.

My ebike is the Rad Rover a fat tire Ebike that I really like. I still have the Pugs for my snow bike and the Salsa Buzzkill for full squish trail duties.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Fat bikes are fun, just another tool, then can go where other bikes can only dream of

Here is a shot of me from this last winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a sweet pic!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmy2dollars View Post
    Our Grinch has grown up!
    Hey hey lets not get carried away

That is a sweet pic. Alpine snow shredding

I stop on the ups without questioning it now whereas I always had a hard time with that before even though I've always realized that the guy going down may well be going too fast to stop quickly and safely. I also don't want anyone getting pissed when they hear the motor buzzing as I go by so if it's not steep I'll turn it off as I go past people
    However, you, as a lifelong mountain biker, are not the intended recipient of this (potential) critique.
    It’s the douchey-douches that don’t have a clue that is more the worry.
    That said, I had an amazing ebike ride to dinner with the fam tonight...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    So unless you can ride every mountain bike trail you can't ride anywhere? Don't be silly. Multiple use trails exist all over the place and there are tons of places to ride on dirt with motors. Mountain bikes don't need access to every inch of non-motorized trails in order to have anywhere to ride and e-bikes don't need to be considered universally equivalent to non-motorized vehicles in order to have places to ride, either.

There's no need to get hyperbolic. Access should always be case by case based on appropriateness of the method of travel. There are a lot of mountain bike trails that should allow e-bikes. And a lot that shouldn't. Because the two things are similar but not identical.
    Actually there are only 3 unpaved rail trails and NO singletrack trails within 200 miles around where I live that e-bikes are allowed. In fact there isn't a single piece of public land in the entirety of NY State where they're allowed and this is a huge state. The issue is even more contentious in CT and MA.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    look at Europe, where virtually no serious mountain biker will buy a non electric mountain bike today. And all class 1 are considered to be the same as Mountan bikes
    I'm in BC at the moment and have seen a few e-bikers each day here. Compare that to 2 or 3 e-bikers on real trails back home all summer. The e-bikes that are "all over the place" back home are mostly ridden by middle aged people on fire roads, about 50% of those without helmets.

Just posting my observations.
    Last edited by LC; 09-02-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    I'm in BC at the moment and have seen a few e-bikers each day here. Compare that to 2 or 3 e-bikers on real trails back home all summer. The e-bikes that are "all over the place" back home are mostly ridden by middle aged people on fire roads, about 50% of those without helmets.

Just posting my observations.
    Yeah people around here act like it’ll be Armageddon but I have yet to see an ebike on a trail this season, and the ones I have seen on the bike path have all been pretty good, not like running folks off the path or being rude or anything.
    I think the roadies get pissed when I pass them on this big cargo bike with a bunch of stuff on it going uphill but I think their Lycra is just a little too tight. Who ever said it was a race? They can always ride the road if they have a problem with it.

Actually there are only 3 unpaved rail trails and NO singletrack trails within 200 miles around where I live that e-bikes are allowed. In fact there isn't a single piece of public land in the entirety of NY State where they're allowed and this is a huge state. The issue is even more contentious in CT and MA.
    Might be time to see what the motorcycle advocacy is up to. 10 seconds on the Googles shows many options in NY. Motorcycles are generally easier to share singletrack with than horses. Should be that much easier with your own motor.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I would not of believed it a few months ago. Im not saying my 48lb decoy is the perfect weight but i can now say with absolute certainty that modern day geo, suspension tech and kinematics, tire tech and both diameter and width size together with that tech, and brakes has my 48lb tank as capable on steeps as an enduro bike with the same travel . I notice a touch more muscle needed to move it around but i notice it being a fair bit more stable and a lot less deflection in the loose and roots and rocks. Jump trails , the thing flys farther , hugs berms and off camber chicanes like nothing ive been on. Thats been my whole goal to see the difference the last few rides. I dont think my times would be a bunch faster but it definitely feels less sketchy. A good barometer is riding with familar riders on there same regular mtb's. My last enduro bike was around 35lbs and this eeb is 48lbs. Maybe the ultimate weight for downs is somewhere between that, and where i cant say for certain, but i can say with 100% certainty that this eeb and its weight feel much better. Im not making any claims of great prowess on the bike but i can tell subtle differences between my bikes. Ive even got some fairly substantiap suspension mods planned and some more subtle wheel tweaks planned yet. I had soo fkn fun yesterday with this bike amongst a big posse, despite working too much this year and riding much less than normal, on this eeb. I was really surprised how playful and uncumbersome its feeling(apples to apples, no implied skill)
    You're not wrong, there is a monster truck element to riding a heavy bike, it certainly will deflect less. But that's literally the only thing it does better. There was a video of Kenny Smith riding an ebike around to show that 'oh look, good decending'. That guy looked like an absolute choad on that thing. Same with something similar from Cedric Gracia.

A friend of mine bought one for working on trails a few years ago. I finally caught up with him digging one day, helped him work on something for a while and then we both rode down a trail we've each been down 1000's of times. While he said all the same things you're saying now, there is no question he was categorically way way slower riding in front of me than he is on his normal bike. Why? Turns. Pumping. Manuals. He could do none of it well anymore.

I have no real beef with the things other than they don't move descending. Yes they plow over things and create a nice sensation of stability, but are way worse at every other aspect of descending. Get them down to the high 30s and I might even buy one. But not now.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I don't think anyone thinks that the status quo is working, eMTB certainly should be allowed many more places that they are. Class 1s should be allowed most places that pedal bikes are.

But an ebike has a motor and pedal bikes are human powered, that makes them fundamentally different. I'm not sure why that's so controversial...

I don’t want to have two $5000+bikes. This: https://ebike-mtb.com/en/lapierre-ez...e-2019-review/ is close to what I would consider a EBike I would buy. Remove the motor and battery and you have something similar in weight to a regular bike for ‘normal’ , non-assisted rides. Plug it back in if you want to have some assist for steep or epic rides, or multiple laps.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I don’t want to have two $5000+bikes. This: https://ebike-mtb.com/en/lapierre-ez...e-2019-review/ is close to what I would consider a EBike I would buy. Remove the motor and battery and you have something similar in weight to a regular bike for ‘normal’ , non-assisted rides. Plug it back in if you want to have some assist for steep or epic rides, or multiple laps.
    That's actually pretty cool. You can pedal up some 4k climb, take the battery and motor out, throw them in a high alpine lake and then descend on a real bike.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That's actually pretty cool. You can pedal up some 4k climb, take the battery and motor out, throw them in a high alpine lake and then descend on a real bike.

It's a free country

Supposedly.
    watch out for snakes

That's no way to treat a such precious thing that we all value. I mean batteries don't just grow on trees ya know.

Some one needs to start a battery retrieval program.

Make it an app.

You ride your e-moped up, GPS the location in the app and ditch the battery.

Then you ride down pretending you're a real mountain biker.

The company behind the app sends a helicopter or a guy on a ICE motor bike to go retrieve your battery for your next e-moped pretend mountain bike adventure.

Win, win.

#saveouremopedbattaries
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

You're not wrong, there is a monster truck element to riding a heavy bike, it certainly will deflect less. But that's literally the only thing it does better. There was a video of Kenny Smith riding an ebike around to show that 'oh look, good decending'. That guy looked like an absolute choad on that thing. Same with something similar from Cedric Gracia.

A friend of mine bought one for working on trails a few years ago. I finally caught up with him digging one day, helped him work on something for a while and then we both rode down a trail we've each been down 1000's of times. While he said all the same things you're saying now, there is no question he was categorically way way slower riding in front of me than he is on his normal bike. Why? Turns. Pumping. Manuals. He could do none of it well anymore.

I have no real beef with the things other than they don't move descending. Yes they plow over things and create a nice sensation of stability, but are way worse at every other aspect of descending. Get them down to the high 30s and I might even buy one. But not now.
    I demoed the devinci Kenny was on. I liked what it could do and wouldve bought one if it was discounted like the current kenevo is. I was most concerned wuth the weight and the 450 cs. From my short ride i thought i could get better with it with a few more days. The advantages and fun were apparent but i still had doubts. Maybe more rides or maybe it would always give up something. Maybe that vid was Kenny's introductory ride. Idk. I do know with 100% certainty im atleast as fast and playful on my decoy after 10 days. Built up rust or finding the sweet spot on the bike i cant say but the last 2 rides were a regular long steep dh trail and then 3 laps of the 5620ft blue jump trail at the resort i never once felt any negatives other than getting it on my north shore rack at the end of the day. Like every type of new category of bike it takes a couple years to get the geo dialed. I think im in the sweet spot at this point. Maybe if i used to be able to get a bike totally flat i might struggle. Idk , ive never been able to. Not sure what your friend was on or for how long but theyve definitely evolved. Trek is going to have a longer travel bike similar to the slash with 29" wheels and 430 cs with a gen 4 bosch cx motor with a starting point of 6300 cad. Rumour has it a 27.5 wheel will fit in the back. Ive been tutned off by vids of people on 9ers for years too. Not so much anymore. Then i demoed one, spartan 29 with 430ish cs. Blew my mind. Amazing bike. Still a little extra to move around that rear wheel and a bit close to me when i move around off jumps and drops and a bit slower into a corner with my short inseam so 27.5 rear itd be for me personally but a lot of people would be faster on it and just as playful. Check out Luca Comettis commencal vid where he back to back tests the meta 27.5 and meta power 27.5. Hes overall faster on the meta power. Its really close but you can see the difference particularly in stability on the eeb. Demo a decoy or maybe thr norco. Kčnevo and rocky powerplay were options for me(discount) but for me i dont like the standover on those 2. With the extra weight i figure i have to be extra careful with mobility restrictoion for my purchase. Commencal was sold out in my size and the new sx isnt realeased til.this month. There was a discount on the devinci ac but not wnough to get me on a 450 cs. A bridge to far im glad i didnt cross, same with the levo. Bottom of the line levo can be had at a great price and still add a dopper and upgraded fork and be a steel. Tempting and great for a lot of people but i dont want to sacrifice any geo or very little. Decoy fits amazing and the base model spec leaves little yo be desired

Here

Harry seems to think its worth it《not sponsored equipment)

Sam Pilgrim has won comps against regular bikes on his eeb. Hes a freak but so werent all the competitors
    Morr laps, way more fun

Member in your very last post where you said you could very well get an eeb if they were high 30's ? Ya me neither

You can pedal up some 4k climb, take the battery and motor out, throw them in a high alpine lake and then descend on a real bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Then you ride down pretending you're a real mountain biker.
    C'mon, be nice. We are all cyclists.

Name:	69403877_10102040844797701_3700872292742463488_o.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	292909

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    C'mon, be nice. We are all cyclists.

Name:	69403877_10102040844797701_3700872292742463488_o.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	176.4 KB