Page 163 of 197 FirstFirst ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Thanks all for the good beta.

Another question, how much does pedaling an ebike with a dead battery suck?

Is it going to be like pedaling my 50lb bikepacking setup around, which I hardly mind, or far shittier because of drag in the motor?
    I have the Levo SL so a little lighter, but sometimes I'll do 2k rides without turning the bike on. It's good training and my sadistic side enjoys the pain. It's surprisingly doable though. However, it feels infinitely harder if I've been riding with assist and then turn it off.

we are doing this for fun, just hit boost and braaap

almost
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Surprised people are sleeping on the giant reignE , considering the popularity of the reg reign on the board. Reign E is getting rave reviews with the nee yamsha pdx motor and is a great looking bike. I wasnt a big fan of previous giants. Probably the best price/spec too.
    Lots of great choices now but it can be hard compsring to the reign E. I still love my decoy. New cube stereo 160 with 750w bosch smart system is another great deal.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Giants are always great Value so no suprise, i could have saved 3k buying a reign over a bullet but I always wanted a Santa CRuz

Sure no slight on the bullit. I wasnt comparing it , directly anyway. Its a great bike. Just my opinion that the reign ticks all the boxes at the top of any list. New motor pulls as much as the bosch, battery lasts as long as the bosch, so its at the top. Then the bike looks great, all the travel i want, geo is spot on,mullet and the price is the cheaper than almost anything. Giant have been stocking lots of parts for their emtb's as well, in case you have a problem plus shop support. I guess shop support was a strong factor for you as well

some web type journalist rode all the motors and he didnt really come up with a big winner OR a big loser or aanything he really hated and I havent read anything else that would say otherwise so i think the motors are all gona be pretty competitive

So it might be more about the rest of the bike & how the mfger puts it all togehter just like any acoustic bike really

I mean why do people buy a Yeti or an SC over the Giant product ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I mean why do people buy a Yeti or an SC over the Giant product ?
    That's like asking why people buy an Acura instead of a Honda. Giant is a Honda.

exactly ^^ I did like my giant but I liked my Yeti and SC more becuase they are the best of the best

Motor makes a big diff. Im happy with my e8000 and its still fun but id prefer an ep8 and id prefer a pdx3 over an ep8 and probably a bosch cx over all of them. They pull harder and they sip battery power. They get 50% more range than an equivalent battery with a shimano motor. Tons pf proof on both points. Bosch win ewsE because they destroy the others in the climbing stages. Motors make the biggest differences in emtbs when alot of the geos are similar. Thats not saying ep8's arent fun but if i had a choice it be cx or pdx. Its not even worth debating with so many real world comparisons out there.

PSA: ProBikeSupply out of Newport Beach has 2021 TURBO Levos at 25% off with medium thru xl in stock

After a few years rocking my Egenius., and riding most of the bikes on the market, I pulled the trigger on a new Repeater.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5642.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	416320
    It's the first Ebike that I have ridden that truly rides like a normal bike. I dont even notice the weight on it. When you lift your feet the bike comes with you just like a normal bike. Hell it even jumps like a real bike.

I built it up with a full AXS system and a Push rear (waiting on a vorspring conversion for the fork, but might just swap it out all together).

Whats really impressive is the difference between the new EP8 and the previous generation motor. Eco on the EP8 is the same as trail on the old, and Trail feels like the old boost. There isn't much difference now between trail and boost with the stock config. With the 630 battery, I can easily get 3500+ vert and 25+ miles. With a little battery management I think 4K on a charge is doable. This just might be the bike that causes me to finally sale the analog.

I still think all of the bike mfg's need to move the charge ports to a higher point on the frame (head tube or top tube) I also think angling the motor up would help increase BB clearance, but so far Scott is the only one to try that. Internal cable routing is still a bitch, thus I went axs (hell its only money), and I hate the internal cable routing in the headset ( hands down the dumbest idea in the history of bikes). If Shimano comes up with a 730 or 800 watt internal battery, I think that will finally be the point where theres more range than I physically want to ride in a day. Also its totally stupid Shimano is still using the 5 bar system for battery level. I am using a Garmin Edge to get the true battery % while riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    After a few years rocking my Egenius., and riding most of the bikes on the market, I pulled the trigger on a new Repeater.

Name:	IMG_5642.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	416320
    It's the first Ebike that I have ridden that truly rides like a normal bike. I dont even notice the weight on it. When you lift your feet the bike comes with you just like a normal bike. Hell it even jumps like a real bike.

I built it up with a full AXS system and a Push rear (waiting on a vorspring conversion for the fork, but might just swap it out all together).

Whats really impressive is the difference between the new EP8 and the previous generation motor. Eco on the EP8 is the same as trail on the old, and Trail feels like the old boost. There isn't much difference now between trail and boost with the stock config. With the 630 battery, I can easily get 3500+ vert and 25+ miles. With a little battery management I think 4K on a charge is doable. This just might be the bike that causes me to finally sale the analog.

I still think all of the bike mfg's need to move the charge ports to a higher point on the frame (head tube or top tube) I also think angling the motor up would help increase BB clearance, but so far Scott is the only one to try that. Internal cable routing is still a bitch, thus I went axs (hell its only money), and I hate the internal cable routing in the headset ( hands down the dumbest idea in the history of bikes). If Shimano comes up with a 730 or 800 watt internal battery, I think that will finally be the point where theres more range than I physically want to ride in a day. Also its totally stupid Shimano is still using the 5 bar system for battery level. I am using a Garmin Edge to get the true battery % while riding.
    Sweet ride and very informative post.

What app do u use for the battery level in your Garmin? Thinking I do this with my Samsung watch. Kind of wish I had a Garmin though.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Sweet ride and very informative post.

What app do u use for the battery level in your Garmin? Thinking I do this with my Samsung watch. Kind of wish I had a Garmin though.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Garmin has native support on the edge for various e MTB data.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/b...e-motor-388838

which ^^ is the best motor, is there that much of a difference, do shop by which motor or which compnonets you want when scoping a bike ??

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/b...e-motor-388838

which ^^ is the best motor, is there that much of a difference, do shop by which motor or which compnonets you want when scoping a bike ??
    The Shimano is by far the most reliable in real world riding environments, especially in a location like Bellingham. The Brose is the worst. I've seen first hand countless issues with the power plugs on the Brose system and multiple belts break mid ride leaving you pretty fucked. On the other hand its the quietest system.

Bosch has the worst and most prone to breaking display (it sticks way out). Bosch also does not support aftermarket battery suppliers while Shimano does. Having aftermarket suppliers should in theory help drive down the battery costs and hopefully larger batteries in smaller form factors.... if they would ever standardize the plugs. Bosch has what is essential an auto power delivery mode that works very well. The new Shimano EP8 trail mode gets close to this with improvements to the torque sensing.

Shimano also keeps the same motor mount configuration, so its easier to upgrade their motors (however they reversed the display wire plugs you would need adapters. Dumb). all of the systems have more than adequate power, especially at the 85NM and up range. In fact I dont have any need for more power than that. What I would like to see in the next gen of motors is to keep the same power delivery, but increase the motor effeincey. Shimano also has the widest parts availability and supply, at least in N.A.

A note on the EP8, its WAY more efficient to pedal when off than the old E8000. However it's distinct rattle when not engaged in actually assisting, is super annoying. It sounds like you have a bunch of shit ratteling loose on the bike. They need to fix that in the next Gen.

I'm still blown away that SRAM hasn't jumped in yet. If they dont soon it will be their death nail. A wireless AXS system motor would be ideal, especially if it talked to the AXS deraileurs for reduced power while shifting. Once again running any cables or motors to the rear of any Ebike is a giant pain in the ass. It helps if you have Park's internal cable routing tools, but its still almost faster and usually easier to just pull the whole motor to do it.

Easier to travel with bosch and rent a battery then a shimano and try and find an aftermarket battery. Ive seen a lot of long wait times for shimano motors after the dreaded e010 code. Theyre bic pens. Throw away motors. Ive seen people have parts on hand for bosch in 2 days. Bosch can be rebuilt.

I wound up finding a REALLY good deal on this <100 mile old 2022 Giant Trance E. A bit shorter travel than what I was ideally looking for but I was massively impressed on the maiden voyage. I rode up and down terrain that I wouldn’t even consider attempting on a regular bike, and even had fun. I like.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post

I wound up finding a REALLY good deal on this <100 mile old 2022 Giant Trance E. A bit shorter travel than what I was ideally looking for but I was massively impressed on the maiden voyage. I rode up and down terrain that I wouldn’t even consider attempting on a regular bike, and even had fun. I like.
    Looks sick.

It does look good. That bike pleasantly surprised a lot of testers on just how capable it is

Name:	134CFB79-7F97-408C-BEDB-F11839AC5560.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	416709

They need some spansers. Tires suspension, etc etc. The ads write themselves

I stepped over to the 'Dark Side' and got an 'entry level' Trek Rail 5 Mtn Bike. I was intrigued by the Bulls bikes, but due to availability, timing, and other justifications this is were I ended up.

A few observations, beyond the whole other level of possibilities and fun (it's a baby step or two towards an off road cycle) include:
    -the weight, transport and security issues. It's way different schlepping it vs my carbon hardtail.
    -you need to be way more considerate of going out with your dog
    -what you wear is different due to the less work with higher air flow
    -the Bosch eMTB mode is pretty interesting in that it does seem to adjust relative to how you are cranking or not on the pedals in dicier situations than a linear assist in ther other modes.
    -you can micro manage how much you work and extend battery range. IE, on a 20 mile ride, using no assist and Eco I only consumed one bar. If you are feeling it, don't use assist. If not, up the assist.
    -it seems odd there is not a direct way to charge the battery using direct DC connections vs inverting to AC then back to 36V DC while driving or from camper solar system. Any ideas here would be good to know.
    -I'm definitely re-energized in pursuing a long list of rides and have redeveloped the daily itch to get on the bike. It's like having a ski lift for the downhills plus the speed factor and distance potential is always there.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

The ratchet thing is hard because once you’ve been using pedal assist, not having pedal assist feels super shitty and sluggish. As soon as you stop spinning long enough to ratchet, the pedal assist stops. And it usually takes more than the quarter turn you’re using to ratchet through the little tech spot. So it feels like, “this spot is tech, so I’m going to go without the motor now. And it might kick back on for a second, thrr we n off again. All at really hard to predict moments”.
    Most of the time, it’s better to keep spinning through it and say fuck it to pedal strike. Or at least carry more speed into it and try to coast through the first move until you can spin again. It’s just a different technique.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    so i thot about this^^ and played around on local trails and IMO/ IME it didn't matter if i was on an e-bike or an acoustic bike if i was in the wrong gear it would mess me up, but then getting an extra 20lbs of bike restarted was much harder and i can only shift down 1 gear at a time, so on an E-bike I am just more wrong after going more faster

so looking ahead, using the gears & listening to the motor, instead of depending on the power of the motor which won't be there if i have to stop pedaling things flow and so I really didnt find any difference in how the drive train worked

my take at least on the EP8 platform I duno what the others systems are like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    -it seems odd there is not a direct way to charge the battery using direct DC connections vs inverting to AC then back to 36V DC while driving or from camper solar system.
    I have not seen any DC chargers yet. The issue here is that all of the batteries / chargers have smart charging circuits built in so you don’t explode the batteries. On each battery / charger there are 4 contacts. 1 pair( larger ones) are + / - power transfer. The smaller pair is the charging circuits. You might be able to by pass the smart circuit and charge directly from DC but you risk either frying the battery or exploding it. I sure wouldn’t do it.

Personally I am running a 4 amp charger instead of the stock 1.8 amp Shimano and it cuts my charging time in half. However batteries will maintain capacity longer with the 1.8 charger. I don’t care about that as I am on the buy and flip every year program.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    -it seems odd there is not a direct way to charge the battery using direct DC connections vs inverting to AC then back to 36V DC while driving or from camper solar system. Any ideas here would be good to know.
    Was just wrestling with this same annoyance a couple weeks ago. Didn't arrive at any useful conclusions. Bought an inverter.