Page 86 of 197 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That's actually pretty cool. You can pedal up some 4k climb, take the battery and motor out, throw them in a high alpine lake and then descend on a real bike.
    Nah, I’m more interested in riding it as a normal, no motor bike most of the time, then if I want to do a big ride with some tough climbs, plug the motor and battery in and use it to save my energy. The next thing they need though is to include an energy recovery mode that uses the motor to generate electricity to recharge the battery, it would have to be designed so when you put the brakes on it will create as much drag from generating as you would get from a normal brake application, and only bring the real brakes into play if it isn’t sufficient. F1 does it, they should be able to borrow some of that technology. Probably end up with a 30,000$ bike though.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Member in your very last post where you said you could very well get an eeb if they were high 30's ? Ya me neither
    *ahem*

Name:  mass.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  15.7 KB
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Nah, I’m more interested in riding it as a normal, no motor bike most of the time, then if I want to do a big ride with some tough climbs, plug the motor and battery in and use it to save my energy. The next thing they need though is to include an energy recovery mode that uses the motor to generate electricity to recharge the battery, it would have to be designed so when you put the brakes on it will create as much drag from generating as you would get from a normal brake application, and only bring the real brakes into play if it isn’t sufficient. F1 does it, they should be able to borrow some of that technology. Probably end up with a 30,000$ bike though.
    Regenerating brakes definitely need to be a part of it. I imagine you could do it in a hub brake.

In the meantime, I think a much more realistic power source would be a way to recharge it off the smugness you get everytime a guy in spandex lectures you about being a 'real' mountainbiker. That's a YOOGE untapped source of endless energy.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

*ahem*

Name:  mass.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  15.7 KB
    Ive got the ultimate set of tools. We could fix that to 38ish quite ez

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Does drilling speedholes work if there's a battery in there somewhere?

Idk try it and report back. But serial go try a bunch of demos or dont. All im saying is im finding more little things where im having fun that i didnt expect and thats after a solid year or more of absorbing as much as i can. You need a few days i think. Everyone two days ago at the park repeated all the same against arguements that are in this thread or elsewhere. 1/2 km and everyone changed their tune 180 degrees without exception. Some were dead set against them. Its funny how quick they change to rationalizing how good they are from their the death of all things mtb. The farther up the mountain we got the more tgey thought they were the shit. All of them are dedicated fit mountain people(good riders, climbers, ice climbers) that have done a lot of suffering in tge mnts

Mah ebike already has regenerative braking. I easily go from 4 bar to 5 bar battree on the dashy icon with a long enough downhill.
    watch out for snakes

33.2lbs with the battery and motor removed. Same weight as my Nomad.

Idk try it and report back. But serial go try a bunch of demos or dont. All im saying is im finding more little things where im having fun that i didnt expect and thats after a solid year or more of absorbing as much as i can. You need a few days i think. Everyone two days ago at the park repeated all the same against arguements that are in this thread or elsewhere. 1/2 km and everyone changed their tune 180 degrees without exception. Some were dead set against them. Its funny how quick they change to rationalizing how good they are from their the death of all things mtb. The farther up the mountain we got the more tgey thought they were the shit. All of them are dedicated fit mountain people(good riders, climbers, ice climbers) that have done a lot of suffering in tge mnts
    I don't mean to say anything along the lines of "I don't believe you're having more fun" or anything like that. Rock on. I'm also never going to take the high and mighty 'you're doing it wrong' stance of having fun in the woods. IE I don't mountainbike for fitness and don't give rodent butt about whether or not it's a better heart rate tool. I give zero shits about any of that. Bikes are for fun. If you're having more of it that's rad.

But I do know I don't like descending on the things. And it's 100% because of the weight. I haven't ridden every model out there but like you, I have a memory of heavy bikes that really weren't any better and I've taken 5lbs at a time off of a bike with some parts changes. I don't want a 40lb+ trail bike on descents. That's all.

Here in the conservation groups of america down here we need more voices telling the wilderness society to piss off. I'll never say no to more allies.

Im keeping an eye on those ezesty's or for a similar fazua motor eeb. People are liking them. The criticisms , if you call them that, are the less tourque when youre amongst other mid motor bikes. Theyll put a bit of a gap on you on the climbs, nit a big deal. Also they have a slow engagement similar to a rear hub. Put tge rear hub and tge motor slow engagement together and it makes it strange getting started on a hill. Motor or the freewheel at the crank. I think tgey said hubs have 14 degrees before engagement and tge same at the crank/motor. I figured that could be overcome with a onyx rear hub with the sprague clutch freehub body. It has intant engagement, plus its super bomber and probably a good app for emtb, with insyant engagement in the rear hub you just have the 14 degrees at tge crank/motor , the same as most bikes.
    I like the idea of not being totally reliant on your motor too. A lot of motors have bearing failures so itd be nice go have a traditional crank/bb seperate from the motor like a fazua. The rocky powerplay may do that too(not positive). I also thought that emtbs could come with an adapter with a traditional bb tgat bolts on to your motor mount when you have to send your motor in. Warrantees are pretty good but you would be able to keep your bike in rotation with a standard crank and bb. A pretty quick swap.
    Shimano motor is 2 years then discounted price after that. Bosch is 2 years and any problems tgey give you a new one and that new one has 2 years. Just be nice to avoid any down time

How could an e bike not be better at descending?

Do you have 180 mm travel on your regular mountsin bike?

I didn't, and now my haibike has 180 front and rear.

All my descents are faster, i can get air, a bit of manual, but i was never very good at it.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

What eBikes mean for Yosemite, Point Reyes, Sequoia

The news that electric bicycles got the go-ahead “to begin zipping around on trails in national parks” sent nightmare visions of hikers getting plowed into by fast riders on now-peaceful trails.

In California, a closer look shows that the impacts will be minimal at Yosemite National Park, Point Reyes National Seashore and Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park.

Of my favorite 120 trails at Yosemite, Sequoia & Kings Canyon and Point Reyes, eBikes would be allowed at only four — all at Point Reyes. With one in-house maneuver, they could be banned at these, too, and avoid the potential scenario for flashpoint showdowns.

At sites where eBikes would be legal, the biggest potential for showdowns is on the walkway in Yosemite Valley. It gets heavy use from visitors on walks with cameras or using the low-speed rental bicycles. Mix an eBike into the crowd and you’ve got the potential for conflict.

But not everywhere. At Yosemite, I traced my 50 favorite hikes, including those out of Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne Meadows and along Glacier Point Road. Turns out eBikes wouldn’t be permitted at any of them. Same thing at Sequoia & Kings Canyon, 52 out of 52. At Point Reyes, they would be allowed for stretches of roughly 3 miles or less — not worthy of the ease and speed of an eBike — on a few trails, including the popular Bear Valley Trail.

Of bigger concern is the Estero Trail, a personal favorite, where present rules would permit them out to the ridge that overlooks Drakes Estero. Rangers could solve this by banning mountain bikes here, a worthy sacrifice that would take care of the eBike issue in a single maneuver.
    And so it begins.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    How could an e bike not be better at descending?

Do you have 180 mm travel on your regular mountsin bike?

I didn't, and now my haibike has 180 front and rear.

All my descents are faster, i can get air, a bit of manual, but i was never very good at it.
    Wait, you think that regular mountain bikes don't have as much travel as emts's? Oh you posted at 2am.....

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    Wait, you think that regular mountain bikes don't have as much travel as emts's? Oh you posted at 2am.....
    I think he means something to this effect

I can get down any trail on an ebike just fine. Sometimes pretty quickly. For the most part, I'll hit the same features. But is it as fun as hitting that descent on regular bike? Not a chance. It's bashing my way down the hill vs. playing the whole way down.

But the question is whether having less fun on the descent is a worthy trade off for getting to the top more easily (or more often).

The answer to that is going to be different for every person, and to some extent, for every trail.

I think he means something to this effect

Yeah I get it, not against it, just funny how it sounded. My daily driver mountain bike is a Megatrail that is 160mm, and 180mm front suspension with the flick of a switch (Lyric). I guess I could easily throw a motor on it and have the same setup as the video, although slightly heavier.

ebikes are sweet, we get it. What's going to be interesting in the next few years is how the regulation progresses. Could go either way really at this point. The technology is definitely there for these things to change the entire experience of mountain biking for good, they basically just need permission.

Regular mountsin bikes can have 180 front AND rear, but they would be pretty hard to peak uphill.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

The only hardtail I was ever sort of fast on descending is my fatbike. Even with a relaxed head angle and 150mm travel my Hayduke is far from fast and the e-mtb certainly isn't. A lot of that is probably me though as I don't find much difference in handling due to the weight, maybe it's just in the right place or maybe I'm just not that rider anymore and not looking to toss and flick the way I would've 10 or 15 years ago.

The new rmr bike park has some little bumps, seemingly taken from a Semenuk vid, that are nice to wheelie(i wont call them a manual because i suck and they arent long enough) and skid the rear tire off the side or some berms that have a bump preceding them to throw the rear wheel one way then the other into the berm. Aldo some smaller gaps in lip height that some times i manual through or some low height longer ones that i try and reach with a manual. Doing it all the same as my regular bike. Just a touch more stable less likely to get away from me. The eeb flys better though. I can see Pilgrim doesnt have his bag of tricks that he has on his jump bike as he does on his eeb because of weight but for me and for what i do its beneficial. I wont be doing any 3's or flips. Im open to the possibility that the weight is a hinderance on slow tech trails, ive cased a couple deadfalls but im still getting used to it but the bunnyhop is going to be slower. The steep dh trails ive been on was great though. Maybe some steep rock moves are going to show the negative effects. More testing needed, particularly a few steep trails i have in mind. I just have to make sure the rust is gone before i go to those 3 that are our steepest. Any weakness anywhere usually shows up on these trails. I need full brakes,traction, and a decent amount of slack travel to feel comfortable on those. For me, so far, not a big dif but i sure like the additional vert.

Nice bike from kona. Really like the geo . Good priceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	remote_160_opt.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	292996

I don't mountainbike for fitness and don't give rodent butt about whether or not it's a better heart rate tool. I give zero shits about any of that. Bikes are for fun. If you're having more of it that's rad.

Here in the conservation groups of america down here we need more voices telling the wilderness society to piss off. I'll never say no to more allies.
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    But the question is whether having less fun on the descent is a worthy trade off for getting to the top more easily (or more often).

The answer to that is going to be different for every person, and to some extent, for every trail.
    Pretty much in line with how I feel. Go ride a bike. Try to remember you got into it because it was fun. Stop giving so many shits about other peoples fun meters. As long as you're not fucking up my day, I'll try not to fuck up your day.

That said, my Levo rips it up like a mother fucker!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Nice bike from kona. Really like the geo . Good price

I like the Remote Control better but price is still up there.

https://www.konaworld.com/2019/remote_ctrl.cfm

Could not find the weight any where on the website.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I like the Remote Control better but price is still up there.

https://www.konaworld.com/2019/remote_ctrl.cfm

Could not find the weight any where on the website.
    Good warrantee on the bosch and the last year of those gen 3's were sealed well from the elements, just a few pounds heavier and long chainstays because of the bulky motor. Gen 4 bosch motor addresses most of the 3's weaknesses. Not sure why they went with shimano this year

Good warrantee on the bosch and the last year of those gen 3's were sealed well from the elements, just a few pounds heavier and long chainstays because of the bulky motor. Gen 4 bosch motor addresses most of the 3's weaknesses. Not sure why they went with shimano this year

As if on Cue:

https://ebike-mtb.com/en/cube-2020-emtb-range-news/

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmy2dollars View Post
    Cubes are looking really nice this year, especially the hybrid 160. I think they really nailed the numbers on that one. Theyre actually sold up here i heard, at sport chek. Dont think i want to buy a bike from sport chek though. Youre likely to get it built up with tge fork backwards, probably get extra reflectors though.
    Trek and focus both have pretty sweet longer travel 9ers with the bosch cx with regular mtb length chainstays. For me id make them mullet bikes and jack the fork travel a touch. Great industry support from both shimano and bosch but atm im thinking bosch may have a slight edge. Both 2 year warrantees but the bosch gives you 2 years on the replacement plus theyre going to be rebuildable after that period. Shimano is a little more intuitive but software updates could flip that. Either way theyre fkn awesome