Page 18 of 197 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I had Bear the Ski Dog with me skiing on the XC trails a few years back When we passed a lady patroller with her dog she told me dogs were not allowed on the trail. The lady looked spiffy. She had red hair, a red jacket and a red pack. The pooch was a red haired Irish Setter with a red pack. Her dog was barking, growling, dancing and pulling at the leash. Going total nuts. Bear and me just stared at the barking dog and pretty woman straining to control it for a moment and then skied on. I laugh a little every time I remember that. Thanks.

Not thread drift. I'm the OP and if the OP says it, it's not drift.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    The weight and speed things aren't really true though. What's the difference between a 160 pound rider on a 42# bike vs a 175# rider on a 27# bike? Net weight difference = 0. Argument fail. Uphill speed can be faster but that's really dependent on the rider isn't it? I regularly ride with a couple of septuagenarians and one octogenarian on e-bikes and while they can climb faster than me they almost never do other than on wide open doubletracks. So lets ban rude and ignorant users rather than the bike. Argument nullified.

The motorized problem (IMO) seems to be more based on excessive power and the big one is noise. The excessive power, roosting and tearing up trails seems to be handled pretty well by lots of dirt bike riders but most class 1, pedal assist bikes DO NOT have the kind of torque necessary to do that kind of damage even if the user wanted to. The noise argument is moot so toss it.

Next?
    The problem here is you are trying to win at the internet and not using common sense. If all MTBers suddenly gained 25 pounds and got wicked swole leg muscles your nonsense might make an interesting, if not outlandish conversation. I've pedaled electric assist. Way more torque going to the ground that I could ever sustain. Because some 80 year olds choose not to go fast up hill doesn't mean the 27 year old will make the same choice. More nonsense. Carry on.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 07-23-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I had Bear the Ski Dog with me skiing on the XC trails a few years back When we passed a lady patroller with her dog she told me dogs were not allowed on the trail. The lady looked spiffy. She had red hair, a red jacket and a red pack. The pooch was a red haired Irish Setter with a red pack. Her dog was barking, growling, dancing and pulling at the leash. Going total nuts. Bear and me just stared at the barking dog and pretty woman straining to control it for a moment and then skied on. I laugh a little every time I remember that. Thanks.

Not thread drift. I'm the OP and if the OP says it, it's not drift.
    So you are one who believes rules do not apply to you? The protrollers dog was likely an avalanche dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Sign looks good to me. No motorized vehicles.
    Right, but the laws been changed here and it will take many years for the municipalities to remove them, because it’s not a priority.
    But you’ll still be out there ranting and raving.

So you are one who believes rules do not apply to you? The protrollers dog was likely an avalanche dog.
    Rules apply to everyone, but many choose not to follow them. Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Rules apply to everyone, but many choose not to follow them.
    Exactly. And its those selfish assholes who ruin it for everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

It sounds like the problem is that the pedal assist technology has been named a motor. Therefore, not allowed on trails designated “no motorized vehicles”. What if the pedal assist bikes utilized something not called a motor? Would there be any issues? The horse folks are assisted up the hill. It’s just not called a motor. NFL scouts and analysts say that a player has a “high motor”. I guess we’re talking semantics.

Maybe it’s been mentioned, but I’m reminded of skateboards vs rollerblades. Rollerblades could ignore the “no skateboards” signs since they weren’t riding skateboards.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You better have a well trained dog that follows at your heels if it's off leash. Lotta dumb-asses (or often new dog owners) out there. Not the best argument to bring up Shredhead.
    Or just people that adopted a pup who is leash aggressive. I fucking hate people that think their dog is fine off leash in on-leash areas because it's a nice dog. I love nice dogs. But my dog was an abused stray in a former life and if your dog is bigger than mine, is off leash and approaches -- shits gonna go down.

And that's after hours and hours of training. Working with pros. Being on some medication. My dog deserves trail time and exercise just like any other dog.

They don't make many dogs like Bear The Ski Dog. If YOU can't control YOUR dog it should be on a leash. My first dog got shot for misbehaving. Never did it again.

Wooley, I see it all the time, check out Kedar towards the end of this video. Riley is a friend’s dog who runs over to attack Kedar. I’m a little worked up so I am not quite with the program, but I’m trying to tell the other a dog to not attack:

Fun thread.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    It sounds like the problem is that the pedal assist technology has been named a motor. Therefore, not allowed on trails designated “no motorized vehicles”. What if the pedal assist bikes utilized something not called a motor? Would there be any issues? The horse folks are assisted up the hill. It’s just not called a motor. NFL scouts and analysts say that a player has a “high motor”. I guess we’re talking semantics.

Maybe it’s been mentioned, but I’m reminded of skateboards vs rollerblades. Rollerblades could ignore the “no skateboards” signs since they weren’t riding skateboards.
    Are you seriously trying to argue that an electric motor is not a motor?

Absolutely not. I’m just not yet sure that there’s excessive trail damage caused by them or that they are traveling at excessive speeds. I’m sure I’ve past them, or they’ve past me on the trails and I haven’t noticed.

It does seem cut and dry at this point. They have a motor, so can’t be on trails designated for non-motorized use.

What if years ago the trail head signs said “no internal combustion engines”?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Not the best argument to bring up Shredhead.
    No, it’s my point exactly and people can relate to it. Even Wooley got it.
    Millions of people do it everyday and I haven’t seen many places banning dogs.

I feel like this whole debate is basically the Jordan vs. Lebron scene from Bad Teachers.

If you a a pro anything with a pro dog and the dog is not in your control you are not a pro, you are a poser. Anyway, you are right about me.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    If you a a pro anything with a pro dog and the dog is not in your control you are not a pro, you are a poser. Anyway, you are right about me.
    Sounds like her dog was on a leash... thus in her control. Working dogs are often certifiably nuts.. but awesome at their jobs. Who knows. I wasnt there but sounds like she and her dog were authorized to be there and you're dog was not.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Wooley, I see it all the time, check out Kedar towards the end of this video. Riley is a friend’s dog who runs over to attack Kedar. I’m a little worked up so I am not quite with the program, but I’m trying to tell the other a dog to not attack:

Fun thread.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Bear was a special animal. Unlike any dog I have known. Let's leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Or just people that adopted a pup who is leash aggressive. I fucking hate people that think their dog is fine off leash in on-leash areas because it's a nice dog. I love nice dogs. But my dog was an abused stray in a former life and if your dog is bigger than mine, is off leash and approaches -- shits gonna go down.

And that's after hours and hours of training. Working with pros. Being on some medication. My dog deserves trail time and exercise just like any other dog.

Probably shouldnt bring your aggressive dog to areas where its likely other dogs (especially if they are likely to be offleash) are going to be. Its really an asshole move on your part to intentionally keep exposing your dog to situations that freak him out. Its kinda like forcing your skittish dog to go for a walk at night on the 4th of July in an area where fireworks are "illegal", and then yelling at every group of people you pass by setting off fireworks that they shouldnt be doing that!!

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Probably shouldnt bring your aggressive dog to areas where its likely other dogs (especially if they are likely to be offleash) are going to be. Its really an asshole move on your part to intentionally keep exposing your dog to situations that freak him out. Its kinda like forcing your skittish dog to go for a walk at night on the 4th of July in an area where fireworks are "illegal", and then yelling at every group of people you pass by setting off fireworks that they shouldnt be doing that!!
    Yeah, I'm going to listen to the professional behaviorist I've worked him with over random internet dude.

My dog isn't leash reactive unless an off leash dog gets up in his business. He's absolutely fine with other dogs on the trail on leash and waits patiently at the side of the trail for mtbers, runners or faster hikers to pass. I know my dogs thresholds and how to work on them.

It's a real asshole move on other peoples part to expect all dogs to be like their own and not respect the stated rules of the area. It's why I don't take him to off leash dog parks despite the fact he has excellent recall. Or take him trail running on popular trails near my house.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to listen to the professional behaviorist I've worked him with over random internet dude.

My dog isn't leash reactive unless an off leash dog gets up in his business. He's absolutely fine with other dogs on the trail on leash and waits patiently at the side of the trail for mtbers, runners or faster hikers to pass. I know my dogs thresholds and how to work on them.

It's a real asshole move on other peoples part to expect all dogs to be like their own and not respect the stated rules of the area. It's why I don't take him to off leash dog parks despite the fact he has excellent recall. Or take him trail running on popular trails near my house.
    Got it. You believe we must do our best to accommodate your dog, and all follow rules very strictly or expect to suffer severe, disproportional physical violence.

IDK, maybe your dog's dysfunction isn't nearly as severe as you make it sound, but if another dog happily bounds up and slowly does the ol' butt sniff hello, and your dog attacks it... thats a really shitty thing you and your dog just did.

Why the fuck are you guys talking about off leash dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    No, it’s my point exactly and people can relate to it. Even Wooley got it.
    Millions of people do it everyday and I haven’t seen many places banning dogs.
    Millions of peoples are selfish assholes who think they know better and their dog is fine. There's actually a handful of people who do know better and their dogs are actually are fine. What this has to do with riding a motorized bike, I dunno? Wooley, you apparently got it, explain please?

Why are you fucking with a thread drift in a thread that's like beating a dead horse?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Got it. You believe we must do our best to accommodate your dog, and all follow rules very strictly or expect to suffer severe, disproportional physical violence.

IDK, maybe your dog's dysfunction isn't nearly as severe as you make it sound, but if another dog happily bounds up and slowly does the ol' butt sniff hello, and your dog attacks it... thats a really shitty thing you and your dog just did.
    If the aggressive dog has bit or killed another dog before, then I see your point. Otherwise the off-leash owner is a clueless. Means well, but doesn't know shit about dogs.

Shredhead was making a point about e-bikes, keep up.

Many people have offleash dogs in leashed areas and they get along fine (non modified e-bikes). then there are a small percentage of people that have aggressive dogs off leash in leashed areas (modified e-bikes). They do not ban all dogs from these areas when problems arise (all mountain bikes). They just try to enforce the leash law (existing e-bike laws).

Also, im just not a fan of people taking their aggressive dogs out into public and then blaming others for the fights that ensue between their aggressive dog and another fairly innocent dog. Kinda like road rage, yes you may have been cut off accidentally, but that doesnt mean you can go beat the person with a tire iron.

But mainly the first paragraph.