Page 99 of 197 FirstFirst ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 4901
    Electric bikes seemed cool until you dorks starting talking about charging your battery. Seems like maybe you’re managing around the margins here, when do you see diminishing returns to the point it no longer really matters?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Electric bikes seemed cool until you dorks starting talking about charging your battery. Seems like maybe you’re managing around the margins here, when do you see diminishing returns to the point it no longer really matters?
    It can be the difference of getting 3 seasons or 10 or 11. Today a bike battery costs 600 to a thousand bucks. Hopefully it'll be less in the future. It's easy to manage but if you can't be bothered that's your business. Why you need to be a dick about stuff you don't know about is your problem

I saw diminishing returns when I got to the trailhead without a fully charged battery.
    Much like my cell phone, it gets plugged in at night now. Maybe the battery has less juice in 5 years or so? So be it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmy2dollars View Post
    It can be the difference of getting 3 seasons or 10 or 11. Today a bike battery costs 600 to a thousand bucks. Hopefully it'll be less in the future. It's easy to manage but if you can't be bothered that's your business. Why you need to be a dick about stuff you don't know about is your problem
    Not being a dick. Just seems a little overwrought. Really? You see a 300+% increase in longevity and performance by keeping your battery at 80% charge and storing it at the perfect temp? Bullshit.

I was just asking a question about something I didn’t know about. Dork.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 12-02-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    focus.

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Not being a dick. Just seems a little overwrought. Really? You see a 300+% increase in longevity and performance by keeping your battery at 80% charge and storing it at the perfect temp? Bullshit.

I was just asking a question about something I didn’t know about. Dork.
    You seemed awfully informed about stuff you don't know about...... Yes, easily 3x. Charging to full capacity most packs are rated to get somewhere between 500 and 700 cycles at 80 percent of original capacity at the end of life. If you don't charge to 100 percent, only 85 pct then the pack can go thru 2000 to 2500 cycles and still get to 80 pct of original at the end of cycle duty. Also, if you leave the packs at 100pct charge regularly, they will fail much earlier than 500 cycles. It'll just be a matter of time, not use dependent, that causes failure. But hey, what do I know?

How does that work with cars, cordless tools, laptops, phones, robot vacuums? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Uggh I topped up my battery yesterday because I was going to go ride and get in one last good dry ride before winter gets here today but my foot is wrecked and I didn't go so now it's probably going to go into hibernation with a full battery. At least the basement never gets above 50 degrees and unless we go days near zero it never goes below freezing so it's like cold storage.
    Go for a ride on a bike trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    How does that work with cars, cordless tools, laptops, phones, robot vacuums? Asking for a friend.
    Exactly the same if they are regular Li batteries. In devices like cars with really big expensive batteries they have sophisticated charging with lower peak charging voltages - to extend the life cycle. Some cars also have a long term storage charge setting that limits the charge to 80pct and will run a weekly top off balancing cycle and then draw the power off so the pack isn't allowed to sit idle fully charged. Drones on the other hand can run higher than the normal 4.2v - to pack more flight time into a charge. The downside is life span and fire risk.

It's science. A real thing. Google and you'll find a ton of stuff that explains it in as much detail as you want

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
    Last edited by Iwantmy2dollars; 12-02-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Go for a ride on a bike trainer?
    Because there are so many that can handle a 148 12mmTA and 3" tires.

I'm going to trust that the more advanced charging thing is something that Shimano uses in their top system and not worry about it. We just got a bunch of snow and ice so it's going to sit for a while but I know I'm going to pay more attention going forward. Thanks 2$

In devices like cars with really big expensive batteries
    Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha! Slightly off topic but the price of a Die-Hard VS the price of an LI Battery for a Makita or Milwaukee 18V pack???

And they are in no way similar in compound nor Chemistry. E-bikers are the new Tele skiers of biking.

Carry on.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmy2dollars View Post
    Exactly the same if they are regular Li batteries. In devices like cars with really big expensive batteries they have sophisticated charging with lower peak charging voltages - to extend the life cycle. Some cars also have a long term storage charge setting that limits the charge to 80pct and will run a weekly top off balancing cycle and then draw the power off so the pack isn't allowed to sit idle fully charged. Drones on the other hand can run higher than the normal 4.2v - to pack more flight time into a charge. The downside is life span and fire risk.

It's science. A real thing. Google and you'll find a ton of stuff that explains it in as much detail as you want

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
    Thread drift, but is there a difference between devices that are being "stored" vs. those in frequent use? So the ebike, power tools, etc. sit idle on the shelf for much of their life. So storing at 60% in a cool place is preferred. But for something like my phone that's very rarely turned off and "stored," and is constantly either charging or draining, is there any practical usage that preserves the battery (other than not leaving it on the charger when it's fully charged)?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha! Slightly off topic but the price of a Die-Hard VS the price of an LI Battery for a Makita or Milwaukee 18V pack???

And they are in no way similar in compound nor Chemistry. E-bikers are the new Tele skiers of biking.

Carry on.
    Not true, my Ryobi tool set is Li and the batteries can be managed to live for 10 years. Maybe longer. When my tools used nicad bats they were dying every couple years because it was impossible to manage then right. I have Ryobi bats that are 6 years old and still working fine

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Thread drift, but is there a difference between devices that are being "stored" vs. those in frequent use? So the ebike, power tools, etc. sit idle on the shelf for much of their life. So storing at 60% in a cool place is preferred. But for something like my phone that's very rarely turned off and "stored," and is constantly either charging or draining, is there any practical usage that preserves the battery (other than not leaving it on the charger when it's fully charged)?
    It's a great question. You can save your phone batteries by not charging to 100 at night and going to sleep. As important, don't let the batteries get below 40 percent for very long. charge back to around 70 if it's late o at night - 100 if the phone will see use . This is a guide line. Do I sometimes forget to limit the charge at night - of course! But I don't really worry. Being a battery Greek I still have a phone with a replaceable battery. 14 bucks and it's brand new again.... My phone is 3 years old. Not stoked about being forced into a sealed device......

It's not hard to manage these batteries You just need to understand that these batteries like to be at 3.7 v - not much lower - not much higher. Go from there if your so inclined. People make do without any understanding at all. Understanding will extend the lives of these devices substantially but it's obviously a personal choice. Some folks could give a hoot.... Like my wife. This stuff has fascinated me since I was a kid and still interests me

Because there are so many that can handle a 148 12mmTA and 3" tires.

)
    I want a picture of you e-fat biking on rollers!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

LOL

New skill to work on - not spinning out when starting in the snow. I'd love to be smart enough to write code that's like spin control in cars so I can have reasonable assist levels but not start out so hot and to know how to implement it. Not happening...

Bigger tires. Bigger knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Heard someones working on abs. No thanks. Traction control would be better idk. Thats part of the fun though, finding traction whether braking or climbing. Maybe it still have that element just with higher capabilities/ninja traction

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

New skill to work on - not spinning out when starting in the snow. I'd love to be smart enough to write code that's like spin control in cars so I can have reasonable assist levels but not start out so hot and to know how to implement it. Not happening...
    Lower tire pressure should help! When I got my fat bike they had it set up with way too much air. I went from 10psi to 4 or 5 after a couple rides and it made a huge difference. Also, a gear or 2 higher than you normally spin really helps. I still lose the front end once in a while..... When it goes out it's usually too quick to recover

BTW, not suggesting you run 5 psi on 3 inch tires.... Maybe try around 12?
    Last edited by Iwantmy2dollars; 12-05-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Yeah those are the obvious things. They are brand new tires though so I haven't figured out where they want to be yet. The sidewalls are considerably stiffer than what I've been using on this bike so far so I can probably run them lower than the last ones. It's more about managing the torque application compared to everything else I've ridden for the last ~50 years.

Which ones did you get?

The new Trail Muncher 2.8 from Serfas.

Putting a bafang on my bigfoot, it's going to need some custom spacers and the dolphin battery doesn't fit in the frame which is a piss off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dolphin battery? Lots of good reports on those baofangs. Supposed to be fairly quet

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app