Page 77 of 197 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 4901
    Lol, what wheels? I search porcr and it shows only porche wheels.....
    Which seem kinda pricey.
    I ditched the 2.8 knobby Nick's for a 2.5 DHF and a 2.6 DHR.... Great setup.

Fwiw, it's been really wet here this summer. Found this Zefal fender.
    It's too heavy and not easily removable so NG for the analog bike.
    But it's awesome on the Bulls Emtb - let's me run the dropper without
    issues.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0724191840~2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	291529

Holy shit! Looks sweet. Ya we need pics.
    I want to put a 180 boxxer on mine put im also considering a dorado set to 180. Im just not sure how ez it is to be set to 180. Not even positive its a readily available alteration. I think it is? The internal design sounds like it has some similarities to the wren as well as the obvious stealth black invertedness. Look so bad ass. Dorados can be picked up at a reasonable price too

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by m56b63 View Post
    Lol, what wheels? I search porcr and it shows only porche wheels.....
    Which seem kinda pricey.
    From these guys but the wheel I'm using was just discontinued as the inventory ran out. https://www.dirtcomponents.com/ There is still an even tougher rim, the 36mm Rough Country that is Enduro rated so will take more abuse and keep coming back for more.

I think I figured out the pics thing, Google disconnected photos from drive last month and there is no way to sync them anymore so now you have to download pics one at a time so they can be attached to emails or social media posts. Pain in the ass... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_122235.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	291546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_122254.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	291547

Wren fork looks sweet, that would be a banging upgrade.
    watch out for snakes

Thanks for the link. I guess I'm old, carbon rims seem crazy for bashing around on. I've got them on my snow bike but I'll stick to aluminum for dirt.

Grinch, you don't like the Yari? I got the same fork. I'm pretty impressed how plush it feels compared to the 34 Pike on my Denvici (both 160). Im thinking a lot of the plush comes from the added inertia from the weight of the e bike? Funny your bike came specd with nearly the same tires I upgraded to. YT seem to put some decent parts on the Base setup. Their hardly slicks!I I'm happy with them but wondering what you think is a better combo?

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Wren fork looks sweet, that would be a banging upgrade.
    Dude it turned the bike into an animal Once I get the setup dialed in a little better it will be just silly good fun. The extra 75mm or so axle to crown slacked out the front end nicely and the extra 30mm of travel let me do more point and shoot riding than before.

Yeah carbon wheels may not have been the wisest move but they are so much stiffer laterally and it corners so much better

I hit a max of 60 mph on my ride yesterday I think what happened was on a chunky climb when the back wheel popped off the ground and spun up for that split second when it was unweighted it registered the crazy high speed. I bet that also threw off the mileage count for the ride. Something to be aware of if you use the odo on the controller to track your ride distances and ride lots of chunky terrain.

Thanks for the link. I guess I'm old, carbon rims seem crazy for bashing around on. I've got them on my snow bike but I'll stick to aluminum for dirt.

Grinch, you don't like the Yari? I got the same fork. I'm pretty impressed how plush it feels compared to the 34 Pike on my Denvici (both 160). Im thinking a lot of the plush comes from the added inertia from the weight of the e bike? Funny your bike came specd with nearly the same tires I upgraded to. YT seem to put some decent parts on the Base setup. Their hardly slicks!I I'm happy with them but wondering what you think is a better combo?
    I like the yari. Surprised how well it works. Very close to my last years lyric. While i liked my lyric at 180 on my mini dh rig, the flex was noticeable at that length of travel, especially in the corners. Ill put a 180 triple clamp on for that reason. Just more confidence in case i screw up on jumps or drops. The plan is to put the yari on a regular enduro bike set at 170.
    Im sure the tires are good but i cringe a little when i see "exo" (maybe the exo+ is ok but i think still probably too light). I havent used the rear tire, rear wheel, and front tire. I had put my hope/lkght bicycle carbon rear wheel on and it bas a warn 2.4 michelin wild enduro rear(theyre a little bit more than a semi slick rear tire when new as is)on it while i wait for my michelin e wild 2.6 (should be similar width as maxxis 2.8 with burley tread like the wild enduro front and more sturdy casing/sidewall then exo and better rubber). I switched the front tire to a rockr2 magicX 2.35(same as 2.5 maxxis and same weight as double down). Im now thinking i might keep those dt wheels though. They look well designed and the rear 35mm inner makes more sense with the 2.6 ewild, plus the steel freehub body. Keep my hope/lb carbon wheels for the enduro bike

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Curious to know how this has been going for the Toast family ............

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Finally got around to riding it myself. Did one of my standard loops; a bit of steep, tricky climbing, a bunch of fire road climbing, and a rolley descent that's rooty and rocky, but not super technical. Did a couple short bonus loops that were steeper and techier.

Climbing, as expected is almost comically easy. Did the whole ride in eco and trail. Tried turbo on one of the bonus loop climbs, and like others have said, it's actually kinda challenging to keep the front wheel down on steep stuff.

My biggest complaint on the climb is that there's a slight lag in the power delivery, both when starting to pedal and stopping pedaling. So on tricky switchbacks, the motor would keep driving me when I didn't want it to, and if I stopped pedaling briefly (like to ratchet through something rocky) the power wouldn't come back on quick enough. While I'd probably get better at this with more practice, I didn't clean a bunch of techy stuff that I normally clean on a regular bike. But, of course, I also easily cleaned some steep punches that are pretty brutal without a motor.

On the descent, the thing is a sledgehammer, not a scalpel. Anything beyond the most rudimentary line selection wasn't happening. And on the main trail I rode, that was fine. On the techier stuff I got into, it was a problem and I had some pretty legit oh-shit moments. But as long as I could just point it straight and smash through stuff, it was great. Like others have said, the extra weight of the bike helps keep it composed and it makes the suspension work really nicely.

I do think, however, that if it were a bike I was going to ride often, I'd go through parts pretty quickly. All that pointing and smashing felt pretty abusive. I suspect that the replacement rate for rims and tires would be above and beyond my dh bike. And yeah, with the amount of power that thing is putting into the drivetrain, I wouldn't expect the chain / cassette / chainring to last super long either.

Overall, it's definitely fun. Getting it on the right trail makes it more fun. I banged out a loop that'd normally take me around 1.5 hours in roughly 50 minutes, which left me time (and energy) to go do some trailwork (which this thing is also really handy for - makes pedaling with a chainsaw pack significantly less terrible). I will say though, anyone who says they're getting the same workout on an ebike as they do on a regular bike is either full of shit or captain soft pedal on the analog bike.

My bike was supposed to have a Lyric but they ran short of the model I ordered. Got a Magura 4 brake instead of a 5 on the rear, and the Yari fork on the downgrade. Saved 400 bucks but I was pretty bummed about the fork.

Sounds like your way more agro than me. I've been at it a long time, I'm solid, but never a hero. I'm stoked to still be riding dirt, but my days of vaulting thru the bars -an all too regular occurrence on 26ers and worse are mostly over. I hope.....
    The new bikes are SO! Much better than what I rode for so long. Traded my Blur after 15 years 2 years ago......

A while back I read maxis was coming out with a casing between the EXO and DD. I think it was called Silk Shield? Sounded like a good ebike compromise

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Finally got around to riding it myself. Did one of my standard loops; a bit of steep, tricky climbing, a bunch of fire road climbing, and a rolley descent that's rooty and rocky, but not super technical. Did a couple short bonus loops that were steeper and techier.

Climbing, as expected is almost comically easy. Did the whole ride in eco and trail. Tried turbo on one of the bonus loop climbs, and like others have said, it's actually kinda challenging to keep the front wheel down on steep stuff.

My biggest complaint on the climb is that there's a slight lag in the power delivery, both when starting to pedal and stopping pedaling. So on tricky switchbacks, the motor would keep driving me when I didn't want it to, and if I stopped pedaling briefly (like to ratchet through something rocky) the power wouldn't come back on quick enough. While I'd probably get better at this with more practice, I didn't clean a bunch of techy stuff that I normally clean on a regular bike. But, of course, I also easily cleaned some steep punches that are pretty brutal without a motor.

On the descent, the thing is a sledgehammer, not a scalpel. Anything beyond the most rudimentary line selection wasn't happening. And on the main trail I rode, that was fine. On the techier stuff I got into, it was a problem and I had some pretty legit oh-shit moments. But as long as I could just point it straight and smash through stuff, it was great. Like others have said, the extra weight of the bike helps keep it composed and it makes the suspension work really nicely.

I do think, however, that if it were a bike I was going to ride often, I'd go through parts pretty quickly. All that pointing and smashing felt pretty abusive. I suspect that the replacement rate for rims and tires would be above and beyond my dh bike. And yeah, with the amount of power that thing is putting into the drivetrain, I wouldn't expect the chain / cassette / chainring to last super long either.

Overall, it's definitely fun. Getting it on the right trail makes it more fun. I banged out a loop that'd normally take me around 1.5 hours in roughly 50 minutes, which left me time (and energy) to go do some trailwork (which this thing is also really handy for - makes pedaling with a chainsaw pack significantly less terrible). I will say though, anyone who says they're getting the same workout on an ebike as they do on a regular bike is either full of shit or captain soft pedal on the analog bike.

Nice write up. What bike did you ride?The things you mention about the motor issues are almost non existent on the Brose motor. See if you can try one next time out

Off topic - How do I change my name to something other than m64b53?

Nice write up. What bike did you ride?The things you mention about the motor issues are almost non existent on the Brose motor. See if you can try one next time out
    Specialized turbo levo. I forget which model it is - expert maybe? 500 Wh battery. Not the super fancy one.

Yeah, I've ridden a brose motor briefly. Wasn't much of a test, but the power delivery seemed smoother than any of the other units I've tried.

Off topic - How do I change my name to something other than m64b53?
    Can't be done until you hit 1000 posts now, makes it easy keeping an eye on the m jongs with a glance.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Specialized turbo levo. I forget which model it is - expert maybe? 500 Wh battery. Not the super fancy one.

Yeah, I've ridden a brose motor briefly. Wasn't much of a test, but the power delivery seemed smoother than any of the other units I've tried.

The specialized bikes are running Brose motors. Mine is another brand but thinking it's probably the most natural motor system no matter what bike it's in. You can customize the output on the specialized bikes

My bike was supposed to have a Lyric but they ran short of the model I ordered. Got a Magura 4 brake instead of a 5 on the rear, and the Yari fork on the downgrade. Saved 400 bucks but I was pretty bummed about the fork.

Sounds like your way more agro than me. I've been at it a long time, I'm solid, but never a hero. I'm stoked to still be riding dirt, but my days of vaulting thru the bars -an all too regular occurrence on 26ers and worse are mostly over. I hope.....
    The new bikes are SO! Much better than what I rode for so long. Traded my Blur after 15 years 2 years ago......

A while back I read maxis was coming out with a casing between the EXO and DD. I think it was called Silk Shield? Sounded like a good ebike compromise
    Not so much aggro as self preservation at this point. I cant be crashing with all my injuries so im more apt to ride around stuff on the first lap until im warmed up, or just keep it on the ground. Part of the reason i got the eeb. Get the warm up lap and not be punched when i drop in and then get another or 3 laps. Theres still a few trails around here i dont do a lot of the stunts unless im shuttling and can get a few laps in first and i rarely shuttle. Also the climb really strings you out near the top and its more of a grunt than a spin and thats boring on a service road. The eeb solves both the shuttle and the boring grunt thing. Now just get a super traction tire on the rear for those steep trails and its good. Probably put the 170 or 180mm shaft in the fork until the boxxer next year but first things first is the traction, although a 180 fork will help that too

The specialized bikes are running Brose motors. Mine is another brand but thinking it's probably the most natural motor system no matter what bike it's in. You can customize the output on the specialized bikes
    Right on. We haven't messed with talking the motor at all, so maybe there's improvements to be had.

You get the same workout per hour.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Yes, actually you just have more options. For the same climbing grade you can go easier and chances are you very well might or you can push how you normally would. Chances are youll go easier though. Then factor in the steeper otherwise unclimbable climbs on a normal bike that you will do on an eeb. Youll be at max to keep momentum. On the downs youre heart rate will be elevated over the normal bike.
    All that aside , maybe your intention is not to have a sufferfest and just have a good spin and smash some turns. After all the goal is to have fun . A lot of my days on tge normal bike im spinning and saving energy for the tech climb(the fun part) and saving energy for the down. Ill probably do more in a day/week that way anyway. Same goes for the eeb along with a bunch of other pluses(multiple days, exploring discounted trails like last week, tech climbs or otherwise shit trails unrideable on the reg bike, recovery day ride). I wish i could do back to back to back 9,10,11hr rides like tge 20/30 something me but thats only a dream at this point. Still going to have an enduro bike but the eeb fills the gap for an aging bike bum and if i had one when i was 20ish i wouldnt have been constantly overtrained. I just want to ride my bike as much as possible and the eeb is a fkn fun tool to make that happen

Most times I ride the emtb, I use the motor as an extra low gear. I'm riding mostly really chunky Jeep and quad trails so they aren't usually super steep. My heart rate isn't consistently as high on the analog bike, but it's close. It gives you lots of options. On hot days slogging up hill it let's you spin away from the hoard of insects we can have around here

So is the Brose motor both torque and speed sensing?
    watch out for snakes

I've got an old Surly 1x1 that I'm thinking about throwing a Bafang 750W on and fitting it for commuting mainly. Any issues with rocking one of these on a single speed? I could throw on a rear derailleur of course, but trying to do this thing on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You get the same workout per hour.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    You might, but I definitely don't.

Most times I ride the emtb, I use the motor as an extra low gear. I'm riding mostly really chunky Jeep and quad trails so they aren't usually super steep. My heart rate isn't consistently as high on the analog bike, but it's close. It gives you lots of options. On hot days slogging up hill it let's you spin away from the hoard of insects we can have around here
    I use it similarly and also notice that I run a consistently higher heart rate than I did before. I used to spike and dip more regularly whereas now it's steady and higher for longer periods of time. I think that for an overall fitness thing it's pretty solid exercise but what I don't think I'm getting from it is strength training like on an analog bike. I know that it's the right kind of training for heart health which is what's important for me at the moment. Yeah being able to outrun the bugs is nice

LapzzzClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190819_113119.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	291748