Page 94 of 197 FirstFirst ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 4912
    Im on mtb trails because im on a mtb. We seem to be able to tell the difference

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Bikers be a dysfunctional family.
    Have you met skiers?

eeesh *shudder*
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

E bikes are not "bikes". They need to come up with a new name. It's a motorized vehicle just like a moped, motorized scooter or a dirtbike. How is this even debatable?

We have a few e-bags starting to hit our trails. The sign says "No Motorized Vehicles", but they they are. They go waaaaay too fast and are not safe for the other trail users. That's why they designated the trail as non-MOTORIZED. If MOTORIZED mountain mopeds want to ride trails, go to fire roads or dirt bike areas where MOTORS are allowed. There, people expect to encounter a vehicle going faster than a human can pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im on mtb trails because im on a mtb. We seem to be able to tell the difference
    The difference between motorized and non-motorized trails will be much more interesting and useful after you ride both. I don't have a motor on my mountain bike but my local moto-friendly trails are very interesting and add a lot of options. Learning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    E bikes are not "bikes". They need to come up with a new name. It's a motorized vehicle just like a moped, motorized scooter or a dirtbike. How is this even debatable?

We have a few e-bags starting to hit our trails. The sign says "No Motorized Vehicles", but they they are. They go waaaaay too fast and are not safe for the other trail users. That's why they designated the trail as non-MOTORIZED. If MOTORIZED mountain mopeds want to ride trails, go to fire roads or dirt bike areas where MOTORS are allowed or work to change the designations of the trails you want to ride. There, people expect to encounter a vehicle going faster than a human can pedal.
    Fixed it a bit.

Grinch I did not realize you are up north where access isn't as much of an issue.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

We have a few e-bags starting to hit our trails. The sign says "No Motorized Vehicles", but they they are. They go waaaaay too fast and are not safe for the other trail users. That's why they designated the trail as non-MOTORIZED. If MOTORIZED mountain mopeds want to ride trails, go to fire roads or dirt bike areas where MOTORS are allowed. There, people expect to encounter a vehicle going faster than a human can pedal.
    This right here is an A+ lesson in hyberbole.
    Biased much?

Well at least it's not your recumbent.

dude....wtf is that thing hahah!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post

Electric Bike Thread

That’s America’s toughest off-toad trail?

It’s an interesting point in the debate. Maybe those ARE tough trails that are designated for motorized use. It’s all intermediate mountain bike terrain, though, at best.

Which is kind of the cruz, right? Fun dirt bike trails suck on a mountain bike. Mountain bike trails suck with a dirt bike. Now we have something in between that’s an exciting way to enjoy mountain bike trails.
    focus.

Pretty cool, but definitely NOT anything close to mountain biking.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Do we want to talk about inverted single crown forks on heavy ass bikes? #bringbacktheshiversc

If a portion of the $$ that the endemic and non-endemic e-bike producing companies spend on development was put into formulating an access strategy, we’d all be better off. Putting on blinders in regards to the inevitable progression of batteries and motors and insisting on piggybacking onto legacy mtb access battles is disingenuous.
    There is a GREAT option for an inverted fork that is tough enough, performs really well and is surprisingly light considering it's heft. I've been hammering on it on this 45 pound beast and it just keeps coming back for more.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191015_173836.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	300466

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Sad.
    The biggest threat to mountain biking is mountain bikers.
    The more things change... What it really comes down to is a huge percentage of the complaints like the one below are based on humans and how they handle themselves anymore. There's absolutely no reason to be a menace on the trails other than you want to be. It's not the bike that's actually the problem it's the user. My average speed is only up 1-2mph over what it was on an acoustic bike but a big part of that is I'm slow because I'm out there to be out there, not to go fast. Well that and I'm just slow

So I should drive 110 miles to the nearest piece of private land with trails where they're allowed? Fuck that! I built a lot of the trails near me over the last 25 years not the people that say I can't be there.

My bike isn't allowed on more than 5 miles of trails on public land in this whole huge fucking state and those are 4 hours away. Should I advocate for access? Yes. In fact I tried again just recently. There was a big meeting in the Capitol last week and I did everything I could to get an invitation and was eventually told straight up that people like me aren't welcome to join the debate because we are laser focused on a positive outcome for e-bikes and we're not flexible enough. What's an advocate supposed to do if they can't be focused?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    That’s America’s toughest off-toad trail?
    he's not showing the good parts

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/atta...e-box-box1.jpg

Where he's pushing his 50lb bike....

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

Ah. I’m not even a little familiar with the trail. It would be fun to see video of a real e bike cleaning stuff that the stupid tricycle can’t even think of tackling. Or just them riding the stuff in that video at speed. That thing is for.... well I don’t know what it’s for.

But it’s dumb.
    focus.

They go waaaaay too fast and are not safe for the other trail users. ...
    There, people expect to encounter a vehicle going faster than a human can pedal.
    That sounds a little bit like progress.

My bike can ride wayyyy faster on mountain bike trails than a bike from 15 years ago could with the same rider. If that level of progress had happened almost overnight and it was accomplished by a technology that stretched definitions we’d have had the same debate.

There are definitely parallels with the gun debate and the snowboarding debate of 20 years ago, wherein the issue, really, is that there are a lot of assholes out there. Like the gun debate, though, we have to recognize all the shades of gray and accept a few compromises.
    focus.

A reasoned responce. Did you forget this is the interwebz?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Fun dirt bike trails suck on a mountain bike.
    Disagree. (I get that's not your real point.) Unsustainably steep dirt bike trails suck on a mountain bike. Some of those are fun on a dirt bike but the vast majority of fun dirt bike trails are also fun on a mountain bike. An e-bike should be perfect for tight dirt bike trails.

Looked at another way: dirt bikes are the best tool for building singletrack trails. Laying them out appropriately for other uses is another matter, and unfortunately we don't have enough truly shared trails to have a lot of optimal examples, but we could. Change the multi-use model from locking out things like motors year-round to one where the trails are open to different uses at times of the year when those uses are appropriate. We could ditch the mini-ex trails and just lay them in with wheels. The results would be awesome and cheap--but we'd have to put down the Wildernuts as a humanitarian gesture first.

This comment is so ignorant.

Europe has e mountain bikes for a number of years now, no conflicts, and they are allowed on all mountain bike trails.

It is hard to find good mountain bikes that are not on e mountain bikes.

Because they are so much fun, both up and down.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Sorry, meant to say hard to find good mountain BIKERS that are on on e bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Sorry, meant to say hard to find good mountain BIKERS that are on on e bikes.

Mmhmm
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

found one!

https://www.instagram.com/martin_maes5/?hl=en

Oh look there's two!

https://www.instagram.com/amaurypierron4/?hl=en

rod: does your bike have a lot of bags velcroed to it? Like under the downtube, on the handlebars.....maybe under the seat as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    This comment is so ignorant.

Europe has e mountain bikes for a number of years now, no conflicts, and they are allowed on all mountain bike trails.

It is hard to find good mountain bikes that are not on e mountain bikes.

Because they are so much fun, both up and down.

The inherent conflict I see is that ebikes have motors and as they continue to proliferate and show up on non-motorized trails, that’s gonna be a problem for the enforcement agencies. If the forest service, etc take a hard line that’s gonna be a problem for all of us. There’s no way around it unless wilderness laws prohibiting motors get addressed directly

Oh look there's two!

https://www.instagram.com/amaurypierron4/?hl=en

rod: does your bike have a lot of bags velcroed to it? Like under the downtube, on the handlebars.....maybe under the seat as well?
    Counterpoint: I've seen Pierron riding an ebike. He was wearing jeans, no helmet and he was riding the wrong way on an XC trail.

But a little while later, I saw him riding a "regular" bike, in proper biking attire (including a helmet), on a proper downhill trail. Incidentally, he was in the process of winning a world cup race.

So based on this sample set, Europe's best riders use e-bikes, but using e-bikes temporarily turns them into gapers.

The only emtb riders i know or have seen are ex pro dhers, bike patrol at the resort, your favorite freeriders turned trailbuilders, and one buddy that rides on the reg with those freerider/builders. They all use them a lot. Some split even between eeb and dh, and one eeb, dh,xc, trials moto pretty even. Theyre fun and have their place and ive heard of no conflicts on the trails. Its still limited exposure though. In my experience ive never even come close to a collision with another trail user

That Rungu isn't 50lbs...its 85lbs+

I saw one years ago on the way down to the surf at Trestles (which is where Rungu is from). The only good use for an e-bike so far would be one with a surf board rack on the side.

Shoot, can't time stamp it for some reason...14:14