Page 5 of 197 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

conservative fundamentalist opponents of progress

The real question here is whether or not Mormon missionaries can ride an ebike. Or the Amish!

Ebikes: where Mtngirl becomes bedfellows with the Amish.

Interesting comparison between young super fit rider and middle age so so fit.

A family that plays together stays together eh

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    No, I disagree with your opinion that electric powered bikes are the same and belong in the same place as human powered bikes. I could care less what you ride provided you don't bring motors on non motorized trails.
    OK - great we all know your opinion. Now why don't you go start your own thread on that subject instead of endlessly repeating yourself otherwise selfishly hijacking this thread to satisfy your own self interest?

My brother and I rode our ebikes just the other day!

Name:  rypHQOa5PHpHB1cAFqCk4fjfYVDSNt4ZPUejm5utIOU.jpg
Views: 8037
Size:  173.6 KB

Always a competition with bros. Not sure bike riding is their comp though. Sweet flannels!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    1. They can be modified to go faster.

2. Lots of multi use trails allow bikes to go up climbing trails but not down for safety reasons... pedal bikes climb pretty slow, rarely much faster than jogging. Sure, a few outlier, xc riders are super fast because they worked to get there. Ebikes will make Joe nextdoor who is reasonably fit but never rode a mountain bike just as fast. This is dangerous for hikers... and trail access.

3. There is limited enforcement of any rules on trails. If one ebike is allowed, all ebikes will be there and they will get faster and more powerful.

4. Human power is a thing. We spend our lives in cars, with cell phones, houses with TVs and appliances and computers that suck up resources and power and everything else.

Having places that you have to use your own body's energy to get to is good for everyone.

5. Emountain bikes are not the same as pedal mountain bikes and should not be treated as such.
    1. Cars can be modified too. But we don't ban all cars. We simply trust people and ticket the obvious ones.

2. Lots of paved bike/jogging paths in the area where peds and bikes get along fine. It's called slow down when it's not safe. Also, no one has ever been scared by a rider grunting up the trail hahaha.

3. There is limited enforcement of all rider behavior: skidding berms, going too fast, not yeilding etc. But we don't ban all bikes, we just say that person is a dick and realize most folks are good trail users.

4. Get off your machine and go hike then. Oh, you forgot that you are using a machine to climb and descend? Looks like Sierra club had it right all along!

5. DH bikes are not the same as xc bikes and should be treated as such. Did you know that DH bikes hold Strava KOMs at galby? Did you also know that the speed you carry on a DH bike and way you ride it is more destructive to a trail than ebikes? Should we ban all DH bikes to?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Really? I wouldn't want to be sharing trails with fully-geared-up guys on 50 horsepower 2 stroke motocross bikes roosting gravel at me in my t-shirt and bike helmet going 5x slower with my electric mountain bike. Mixing dirtbikes with emtb's is a way worse mix than mixing ebikes and pedal bikes imho.
    nah it’s fine we share a lot of the off the beaten path mtb trails with them already. you can hear them from far away and there’s a shit ton of area to get away once they pass. still low population here so we’re dealing ok for now
    skid luxury

^^^ Yeah, Yeti's old stomping grounds in Ogden have a bunch of trails where anything goes. Bikes, motos, horses, scout troops. Some of the rides are burly and the scenery is as good as it gets. It all seems to work too but I wouldn't want things to be like that everywhere.

A Honda motocross motorcycle is so much different than a pedal-assist bicycle.

Can anybody else who has ridden dirtbikes back me up on this? It's not the same thing.
    Not the same thing. Yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KSCN0004.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	241640
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    OK - great we all know your opinion. Now why don't you go start your own thread on that subject instead of endlessly repeating yourself otherwise selfishly hijacking this thread to satisfy your own self interest?
    Ok but we all get you disagree, too? It's always like this. Shut up if you are in opposition to the majority...?

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    So, how fast are riders allowed to ride? How far are they allowed to ride?

No, they are not the same. These are an assist and do NOT work unless the rider is actually pedalling.
    However fast/far they can go without a motor assisting them.

My point is that this is why electric mountain bikes are different than human powered mountain bikes so they need to be considered separately.

Realizing that it is a big and diverse world in both flora and geography would work maybe.

e bike would do this.

Name:  resize50.jpg
Views: 7001
Size:  80.4 KB

The real free for all was in rural New Mexico. It's such a free for all there that I regularly rode dirt bikes on the highway because I knew even if some sheriff tried to stop me I'd be in the next county before he even had a second unit there to assist....and they knew it too so they didn't even bother.

I rode all kinds of forest service trails, never even checked what was officially what. Same as many friends. That place was the same as where I grew up, off-road meant you could run into whatever, so nobody got their wads in a bunch if they saw some other kind of recreation taking place. That all changed in 20 years while I was gone, I came back and there's tons of mtb trail now, but they closed it to anything except mtb and hikers. One set of people gets their way, the other has to sell the house and move somewhere else I guess. Basically here, everyone who used to like dirt bikes and atvs moved to another town, and now the doctors and dentists with the $5000 bikes have a cutesy little exclusive club.

I imagine some of the heartburn about ebikes has to do with the possibility that somebody not in the fancy little spandex club might get to enjoy the trails as they used to 20 years ago before the Big Yuppie Trail Lockdown.

Might be the other way around. Good ebikes cost as much as good MTBs but then add on 2-3k for the motor.

it stinks of elitism. I can't be precise but I sense it.

Somebody who's not a Serious Cyclist in a Lycra Racing Jersey full of Sponsorship Logos might actually enjoy riding uphill faster than a snapping turtle....**gasp**

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Huh, I'm surprised it would be used for training because they are so heavy on the DH and would therefore handle differently.

But I'd like to try one and see what I'm missing.
    That’s what I was thinking too. One of the vids I posted comparing an e bike and regular bike, the e bike was nice and stable jumping but they gave a slight edge to the normal bike on super tech riding because of less weight. Some companies have very similar bikes in their line up . Lapierre has an almost identical e and non e bike with that fauza motor. It’s only 39lbs .Take the motor and battery out and it’s a 29lb normal trail bike 140rear and 150front full suspension. I keep looking at the Commencal . Great price and similar to there enduro bike except longer chainstays and 12 extra lbs. hoping they have a model with the fazau motor in the future. Great price on their bikes. Commencal supreme sx with a fazua motor would be my ideal choice

The real free for all was in rural New Mexico. It's such a free for all there that I regularly rode dirt bikes on the highway because I knew even if some sheriff tried to stop me I'd be in the next county before he even had a second unit there to assist....and they knew it too so they didn't even bother.

I rode all kinds of forest service trails, never even checked what was officially what. Same as many friends. That place was the same as where I grew up, off-road meant you could run into whatever, so nobody got their wads in a bunch if they saw some other kind of recreation taking place. That all changed in 20 years while I was gone, I came back and there's tons of mtb trail now, but they closed it to anything except mtb and hikers. One set of people gets their way, the other has to sell the house and move somewhere else I guess. Basically here, everyone who used to like dirt bikes and atvs moved to another town, and now the doctors and dentists with the $5000 bikes have a cutesy little exclusive club.

I imagine some of the heartburn about ebikes has to do with the possibility that somebody not in the fancy little spandex club might get to enjoy the trails as they used to 20 years ago before the Big Yuppie Trail Lockdown.
    A lot of this is about population.

20 local guys riding dirtbikes all over isn't a big deal. 1000 is different.

Dirtbikes, ATVs, 4wheeling are all extremely distructive.

Groups that can co-exist and cause less impact get more space, especially when there are more of them.

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Fuck, can we stop arguing over E-bikes and let's actually talk about who is making some good ones? You don't approve of people riding em on trails, fine, STFU you made your point. I feel like some parts of the country will have better access for these than others.

Most of the ones that come up on a google search are more geared toward commuting/grocery getters. What are some of the faster/longer range/ better built brands out there for actual trail riding?
    I agree. All the arguments and facts are out there. Europe , Japan, New Zealand have it figured out already.
    I like these atm but all the e bikes are changing so quick
    https://www.commencalcanada.com/meta...18-c2x24237581
    That’s Canadian $’s and i would probably make the fork 180mm for an extra 100

I'm not a dentist. I am the OP. Thinking of putting an e system on this for a 25 mile dirt road trip back to the future. Any suggestions? I'd search but the tech moves fast.

Name:	KIMG0215_50.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	241644

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I'm not a dentist. I am the OP. Thinking of putting an e system on this for a 25 mile dirt road trip back to the future. Any suggestions? I'd search but the tech moves fast.

Name:	KIMG0215_50.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	241644
    Beauty spot for a cruise. You might want to look at the baufeng motors . Hope that spelling is right. A friend put one on his dh bike and was raving about it. They’re relatively inexpensive and have been around a while and are add ons. I think they have throttles and more power than most. Most others are regulated for trail use laws

I’m not sure but you may need some gears on your bike

Good place to start. Thanks. It is a nice trail. Runs from the Columbia River to the Puget sound and 40' from the back of the house.

it stinks of elitism. I can't be precise but I sense it.

Somebody who's not a Serious Cyclist in a Lycra Racing Jersey full of Sponsorship Logos might actually enjoy riding uphill faster than a snapping turtle....**gasp**
    Ebikes are a weird hill to plant your flag on when decrying elitism.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."