Page 3 of 197 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Am I to assume that there are no assholes on designated MB trails now? Really?
    Usually it's not so much assholeness as its ignorance.

No knowing the unwritten rules, not reading the written rules, not caring enough to figure it out...

You’re focusing on one small slice of the pie. Think about how they could change the dynamic of urban living/commuting. Think about all the fat fucks that might actually start living right, because they ride an ebike. To me, the fact that the yuros all over these things, speaks volumes. These things could be real game changers.

Future so bright
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    You’re focusing on one small slice of the pie. Think about how they could change the dynamic of urban living/commuting. Think about all the fat fucks that might actually start living right, because they ride an ebike.
    There's universal agreement in this thread that they're great for that purpose. The only debate here is their use on designated non-motorized trails.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    You lower the cost of entry by making technology do all the work and more people can be out there doing more laps...
    Yeah, I mean fuck other people for wanting to have fun.

You probably should actually try one before writing more.
    The technology does not "do all the work"....

You’re focusing on one small slice of the pie. Think about how they could change the dynamic of urban living/commuting. Think about all the fat fucks that might actually start living right, because they ride an ebike. To me, the fact that the yuros all over these things, speaks volumes. These things could be real game changers.

Future so bright
    Definitely agree on the urban/suburban uses here. More people riding bikes in general is a win in my book, and if it gets people more active and spending less time in traffic, I'm all for E-bikes.

I always dream of a future that is more like the Netherlands- with the bikes, I mean....

Lots of top(euro) EWS riders use them for training. Rather than ride the lift or shuttle , for dh training, and riding road bikes for cardio, they get all their pedLing and dh on one bike. A few of our out and back alpine trails there would be definite conflict with steady traffic up and down. I suspect on our two way xc trails there might be conflict as well but I’m guessing. I can think of numerous trails that it would be no problem

...Think about all the fat fucks that might actually start living right, because they ride an ebike...
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Because there's nothing available to all of us fatties now. How's that working out???

I'm not against e-bikes for commuting, bike paths, rails-to-trail etc. But I also don't think they are bicycles.

I was at a big MTB demo event this weekend where Trek, Spec-Ed, and BH were making a hard push for e-bikes and had tons of demo bikes. Although I didn't try one, I learned:

1) they can go UP fast - on two occasions, I was going up a fairly steep hill with loose rocks and slate; two guys on e-bikes rode past me like I wasn't moving. It didn't bother me so much as I was surprised at how fast/easy it was related to my human powered struggle; and

2) every single person that I spoke to that tried one RAVED about them...like they were the greatest thing since the round wheel...ok, maybe the dropper post...but: every person smiled and really enjoyed their time on them.

I don't know what to make of either of those observations (other than we're gonna see lots more of them), but I just throw it out there.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

2) every single person that I spoke to that tried one RAVED about them...like they were the greatest thing since the round wheel...ok, maybe the dropper post...but: every person smiled and really enjoyed their time on them.

Sounds like I need one of these bad boys, I like having fun.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Yeah, I mean fuck other people for wanting to have fun.

You probably should actually try one before writing more.
    The technology does not "do all the work"....
    It's not about who gets to have fun and who doesnt.

Things with motors are motorized and shouldn't be on non motorized trails.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Am I to assume that there are no assholes on designated MB trails now? Really?
    I did not say that, there are plenty of assholes on mtbs now but they will do a lot more reputation damage when they can cruise around at 30mph without pedaling on their modified bikes. Also most assholes are lazy so I expect their number to increase exponentially when they don't have to work as hard or at all with a throttle. One of the first sites you find when googling for ebikes has an author who trashes all the off the shelf options because they are not fast enough or powerful enough and advocates for 1000w+ home made speed machines.

I knew that assholes are evenly distributed. It was a rhetorical question. The speed limit on the rails to trail is 15 mph and is broken by every Lance wannabe Mamil on the ride down . Fucking cyclists.

So do we still have to yield the right of way to a climbing rider if they are e-biking?

As long as they don't negatively affect trail access then they're fine IMO. Unfortunately in BC they'd probably negatively affect trail access

Wooley buy one from somewhere you can get spare parts. They're still prone to breakdowns and dead batteries; power transfers etc.

Last Month's MMWD board meeting minutes had three speakers slamming the use of Ebikes on Mt. Tam and other MMWD trails. The board meeting wasn't even about that, this was just in the open public comments. Every month this spring and summer I have seen more and more ebikes on the mountain and the rangers seem to be turning a blind eye even though their own trail use regs ban them. Much more interested in catching people riding single track illegally, think internet enabled and instantaneous alerts on hidden game cameras. I think the argument is not whether people have the right to ride these but riding them in semi to crowded multi use areas is going to lead to a lot of user conflicts in the near future. Many of these areas already have or have had user conflict issues and this new tech seems to me to have the ability to set back any progress made on that front. So far I have only seen old, rich dudes and chicks riding them but it is only a matter of time until mom and dad buy their son or daughter on the High school MTB team one of these and watch out. They can haul ass on fire roads up or down and it is starting to piss people off now.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Lots of top(euro) EWS riders use them for training. Rather than ride the lift or shuttle , for dh training, and riding road bikes for cardio, they get all their pedLing and dh on one bike. A few of our out and back alpine trails there would be definite conflict with steady traffic up and down. I suspect on our two way xc trails there might be conflict as well but I’m guessing. I can think of numerous trails that it would be no problem
    Huh, I'm surprised it would be used for training because they are so heavy on the DH and would therefore handle differently.

But I'd like to try one and see what I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Think internet enabled and instantaneous alerts on hidden game cameras.
    Yeah... no.
    There are enough fucking cameras in the world, I mountain bike to get away from that shit.

It's not about who gets to have fun and who doesnt.
    Yeah...
    But then you say shit like this...

If I can haul myself up a mountain everyone else can, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    They're still prone to breakdowns and dead batteries; power transfers etc.
    Yeah, what happens when you are way the fuck in the middle of BFE and your battery dies? Riding a 40+lb bike back to civilization could be pretty fun. Will we see an increase in rescues of E-bikers?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Huh, I'm surprised it would be used for training because they are so heavy on the DH and would therefore handle differently.

But I'd like to try one and see what I'm missing.
    Its mostly so that riders can ride and scope the race trails without having to do all the work pedaling to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Yeah... no.
    There are enough fucking cameras in the world, I mountain bike to get away from that shit.

Yeah...
    But then you say shit like this...
    Yeah... the excuse that some people cant pedal or that mountain biking needs these participants that can't or wont pedal.

People want to bring motors onto non motorized trails because they don't want to work as hard is BS.

Yeah... the excuse that some people cant pedal or that mountain biking needs these participants that can't or wont pedal.

People want to bring motors onto non motorized trails because they don't want to work as hard is BS.
    Um, its called wanting to get as much fun out of the day as you can. Same reason why you ride ski lifts instead of bootpacking/skinning up, same reason why most unsanctioned trails are shuttle spots instead of pedal spots, same reason why you drive a mini excavator on non-motorized trails to do the big earthwork for new trails. I would love to get in 5000' days on my bike without having to be in pro level shape and/or ride a XC whippet. You just sound bitter when you say that because it is hard on you, everyone should have to suffer too.

And the too old/broken excuse isnt really an excuse. Its reality for many folks over the age of 50. Lifelong athletes with blown up joints, or heart issues, or just not enough time to commit to maintaining aerobic/anaerobic capacity they would need. Heck its reality for many folks below the age of 50. You should be thankful you have the ability to still get after it under your own power and on a cheap bike.

Fuck, can we stop arguing over E-bikes and let's actually talk about who is making some good ones? You don't approve of people riding em on trails, fine, STFU you made your point. I feel like some parts of the country will have better access for these than others.

Most of the ones that come up on a google search are more geared toward commuting/grocery getters. What are some of the faster/longer range/ better built brands out there for actual trail riding?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Um, its called wanting to get as much fun out of the day as you can. Same reason why you ride ski lifts instead of bootpacking/skinning up, same reason why most unsanctioned trails are shuttle spots instead of pedal spots, same reason why you drive a mini excavator on non-motorized trails to do the big earthwork for new trails. I would love to get in 5000' days on my bike without having to be in pro level shape and/or ride a XC whippet. You just sound bitter when you say that because it is hard on you, everyone should have to suffer too.

And the too old/broken excuse isnt really an excuse. Its reality for many folks over the age of 50. Lifelong athletes with blown up joints, or heart issues, or just not enough time to commit to maintaining aerobic/anaerobic capacity they would need. Heck its reality for many folks below the age of 50. You should be thankful you have the ability to still get after it under your own power and on a cheap bike.
    Use motors on motorized trails.

Just to play devil’s advocate: why does everyone get to participate?

Along the lines of the outcry when they put in the Kachina Peak lift at Taos or Mittersill at Cannon; some thought (and still think) it was sacrilegious....

Maybe you don’t get to ride non-motorized trails if you can’t ride a non motorized vehicle. You’ll just have to find your fun somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    What are some of the faster/longer range/ better built brands out there for actual trail riding?
    If i was you i would check out HaiBike, Specialized, and any of the other big MTB brands. HaiBike is really trying to get into the market by signing some pro MTbers, and most popular MTB brands now have an E-bike in their collection.

Use motors on motorized trails.
    You should probably only ride your bike on fully legal sanctioned trails then... otherwise you risk being awfully hypocritical

rules are rules, right? haha

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Same reason why you ride ski lifts instead of bootpacking/skinning up
    This is an interesting comparison. Riding lifts costs money, and the land management is (sometimes) different. Would everyone be okay with e-bikes being allowed at trail networks that cost money*? What if you had to buy a $15 day pass to Duthie or Galbraith or your other favorite trail network that resembles a pedal-only bike park, and that money went to trail maintenance? I think the only day-ticket no-lift trail network I've been to is the Kingdom Trails in VT; do they allow e-bikes there? Is that a good model? Can I complete a sentence without a question mark?

*You pay for all legal trails with things like parking passes and so forth. I would much rather buy a Discover Pass + Interagency Pass once a year and not worry about private trail networks....