Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1435
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    6,102
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I know a guy who got squeezed out of every good place to ride a dirtbike where we live, so he has recently bought a really powerful dual suspension fat ebike and he rips the city beaches and all the trails he used to be able to ride dirtbikes on when things weren't as crunchy-granola here.

    He's like 65,
    I have mixed feelings but understand where he's coming from....and he's having a lot of fun and not harming anyone or anything so fuck it.
    These arguments always crack me up.

    Things change with knowledge. Adapt and accept and move on.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    9,718
    You wish. Won't happen. Adapt to the new future or piss and moan.
    thnx Capt. Chuck Shunstrom

    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,777
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    He's not talking about singletrack, everyone calm down. Forest roads, rail-trails and bike paths is the goal. I saw a huge amount of 'average' toursits on the Park City bike paths, hauling ass on these electric bikes. It's opening things up to non-bikers, and I don't think we will see these people on our trails in a few years. I think it's cool. I'd consider a utility bike with electric assist. Something I can put a kid on the back and some groceries would be fun.
    I would be stoked to get an ebike cargo bike for child and grocery-hauling duty.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post

    I'm fat and middle aged and I haul myself to the top to ride down. If I can, everyone can.
    So someone at any age with a medical issue to prevent them from riding without peddle assist can just take up knitting instead of trying to ride, eh? How's it feel to be a narrow minded elitist?

    Jersey dave is corest of the core brah.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    7,162
    When these things get totally dialed in, like say, ten years from now. Iíll be 63 years old with shit knees. I am so totally buying all four flavors. Road, Gravel, MTB and Fat. Future so bright.
    Go on now
    crab in my shoe mouth

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    6,102
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So someone at any age with a medical issue to prevent them from riding without peddle assist can just take up knitting instead of trying to ride, eh? How's it feel to be a narrow minded elitist?

    Jersey dave is corest of the core brah.
    I donít have a problem w/ ebikes. I donít care.
    But your argument is stupid.
    Everybody canít do everything.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    But your argument is stupid.
    Everybody canít do everything.

    I have no idea what part of that you cannot comprehend, so why don't you give me an example on why they shouldn't be allowed. I work with a guy who has no feeling in his right leg. He's a mountain biker from way back. He's older now and has serious atrophy, but can still sort of ride. The peddle assist would benefit him tremendously. But since he has a bum leg you say he can just fade away? I say fuck off Plug and at the same time I hope nothing like that ever happens to you and somebody tells you to fade away.

    It's like saying sit skis shouldn't be available because they might inconvenience someone on the hill who otherwise would not be able to participate.

    Open your fucking eyes.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    6,102
    I get it, youíre mad.
    Sure, keep doing shit. Just do it within whatís currently being accepted.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    9,444
    jackstraw-

    You are missing the point. MTBers have been fighting for years to maintain access to riding areas, and a critical part of the argument has been that they are a purely human-powered device. If ebikes start flooding trails that USFS, BLM, or other management agencies have designated solely for non-motorized use there is a very high probability that those trails will get closed to bikes of all kinds.

    For any and all areas where motorized use is allowed or land managers have specifically decided to allow ebikes, rock on.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    9,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    jackstraw-

    You are missing the point. MTBers have been fighting for years to maintain access to riding areas, and a critical part of the argument has been that they are a purely human-powered device. If ebikes start flooding trails that USFS, BLM, or other management agencies have designated solely for non-motorized use there is a very high probability that those trails will get closed to bikes of all kinds.

    For any and all areas where motorized use is allowed or land managers have specifically decided to allow ebikes, rock on.
    This. It's a legit threat and some trails have already been closed to all bikes "since you can't tell the difference."

    I do admire the technology, however, and think they are great for certain uses.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    5,398
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Some trails have already been closed to all bikes "since you can't tell the difference."
    Post example please...
    Alpental Indigenous

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    jackstraw-

    You are missing the point. MTBers have been fighting for years to maintain access to riding areas, and a critical part of the argument has been that they are a purely human-powered device. If ebikes start flooding trails that USFS, BLM, or other management agencies have designated solely for non-motorized use there is a very high probability that those trails will get closed to bikes of all kinds.

    For any and all areas where motorized use is allowed or land managers have specifically decided to allow ebikes, rock on.
    It’s different wherever you go. Here they just took over everything. If you like to mtb, great, if you liked to mx or atv or jeep.... you’re sol.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 07-16-2018 at 08:39 PM.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    274
    I have a cargo e-bike with a kid seat on it, it is awesome and almost as fast as driving on my commute with out the road rage. If you are waivering just do it, the price of entry is high but my sanity is worth it.

    The problem with them on mtb trails will be the assholes who mod them and cause user conflicts, we have enough assholes on bikes who cant share trails without opening up the sport to people who are too lazy to pedal.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I get it, youíre mad.
    Sure, keep doing shit. Just do it within whatís currently being accepted.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, I get pissed a closed minded self centered thinking.

    I'm not talking about breaking rules here. If it's non-motorized then it's non-motorized. That is an issue in many places and not an issue in many others, so ride on where it's not banned.

    Those that have banned it need to take another look imo depending on the situation.

    Banned for noise?
    Banned for speed?
    Banned for erosion?
    Banned for pollution?

    Maybe an ebike at a restricted voltage/amperage would fit in somewhere mtn bikes are allowed.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
    Posts
    3,210
    I'm in the market for a new mt bike this fall, when I buy one I'm going to take the motor off my cruiser and put it on my Reign. My cruiser will do 60kph on the flats, once the motor is on my Reign no trail will be safe.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    16,303
    I was reading a blog about e-bikes modded to do a 100kph on the road in I believe denmark, the e-bike has some amazing technology but there will be trouble
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Missoula DMV
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    The problem with them on mtb trails will be the assholes who mod them and cause user conflicts, we have enough assholes on bikes who cant share trails without opening up the sport to people who are too lazy to pedal.
    This is a really good way of putting it. There already is a huge perception issue towards mtbr's on multi-use trails, and massaging the local laws further to allow E-bike use could very-well backfire. All it takes are a couple incidents to get the locals talking about an E-bike ban, and a previous history of hiker-biker conflicts won't help either.

    So much of this could be solved if the general public was more receptive towards mtbr's getting their own system of trails. Multi-use can work in low-pop areas, but after a certain threshold it's best to let bikers build/maintain their own system. Better-built trails for the happy mtbr's, and fewer biking conflicts for the hikers.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,857
    Trying so hard not to flame this thread. Maybe it's enough to say that Ebikes are their own thing and they should not be coat-tailed into access we have secured because the throttle is pretending to pedal. Trail access should be dealt with on a case by case basis. They are motorized plain and simple. Attempts to lump them in with human powered recreation is a sham.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    9,718
    Am I to assume that there are no assholes on designated MB trails now? Really?
    thnx Capt. Chuck Shunstrom

    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    pugski.com
    Posts
    3,167
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, I get pissed a closed minded self centered thinking.

    I'm not talking about breaking rules here. If it's non-motorized then it's non-motorized. That is an issue in many places and not an issue in many others, so ride on where it's not banned.

    Those that have banned it need to take another look imo depending on the situation.

    Banned for noise?
    Banned for speed?
    Banned for erosion?
    Banned for pollution?

    Maybe an ebike at a restricted voltage/amperage would fit in somewhere mtn bikes are allowed.
    We have had the discussion going on for a couple of weeks. the points that you bring up are the main reason that "No Motorized Vehicles" was instituted.

    Banned for noise? Other than some woo-hoo's from the rider, these make no nose
    Banned for speed? E-bikes max out at 20MPH then the assist stops. If there is going to be a speed limit, start monitoring Strava and see what some of these riders will go and start issuing citations.
    Banned for erosion? Because they are heavier? 1. Check out that upcoming LaPeirre E-Spicy, 17.5KG. Yes, some are heavier, the Cannondale Moterra is over 50lb. So, what will be the rider/bike weight limit on a trail? Will there be a weigh in at the trailheads?
    Banned for pollution? None there, adn less than if you are shuttling too.

    I get why they don't know how to classify these. But these laws were written before these were even conceived. Yes, to the letter of the law they are motorized, but to the spirit of the law, they are a bicycle.
    Click. Point. Chute.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    5,398
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Am I to assume that there are no assholes on designated MB trails now? Really?
    Amazing, huh?
    Alpental Indigenous

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    6,694

    Electric Bike Thread

    Itíll be a long road of opposition in the states despite plenty of more densely populated countries allowing them and setting in place regulations that are working. More reinventing the wheel in NA. Theyíll be banned and then infrastructure week will include yuuuuuge incentives for expanding paved trail heads , and more of them, with ample room for diesel pusher RV buses. Koch paving will get the contract. Koch logging will log around the parking and theyíll be a Trump golf course for after riding. One skid or cutty and all golf privileges will be revoked but youíll still be able to buy the hat , so donít fret. #winning #eisbad #coalbikesrule

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    6,694


    Iíd use my truck way less(shuttles,groceries, drive to the ski hill, touring up the road)

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Am I to assume that there are no assholes on designated MB trails now? Really?
    Only the roadies.

    Ok, so here's my final answer. You need a dr's note to ride an ebike on trails. Kinda like a handicap plate. That should be easy enough to manage.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    5,133
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Trying so hard not to flame this thread. Maybe it's enough to say that Ebikes are their own thing and they should not be coat-tailed into access we have secured because the throttle is pretending to pedal. Trail access should be dealt with on a case by case basis. They are motorized plain and simple. Attempts to lump them in with human powered recreation is a sham.
    This.

    They are easy to modify so the 20 mph speed is invalid.

    A lot of shared trail systems are designed around shared climbing trails because climbing mountain bikes don't go much faster than a walking/jogging pace very often. 20 mph will terrify many hikers and wreck the fragile balance.

    You lower the cost of entry by making technology do all the work and more people can be out there doing more laps...

    It's just not the same thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •