Page 177 of 197 FirstFirst ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 4912
    Why cant a person ride at any heart rate you want on an emtb? One of the best tbings you can do with them is at max hr trying to climb steep tech. Fun af. Great in the spring especially before the dh trails open. Low consequence tech riding to get the rust banged off and put you in the sweet spot of your bike before you staryt pointing it down the burlier dh trails

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Good info xxxl!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Why cant a person ride at any heart rate you want on an emtb? One of the best tbings you can do with them is at max hr trying to climb steep tech. Fun af. Great in the spring especially before the dh trails open. Low consequence tech riding to get the rust banged off and put you in the sweet spot of your bike before you staryt pointing it down the burlier dh trails

obviously you can do whatever you want I'm just suggesting what is the sweet spot of E-bike ops IMO/ IME for having a good time

if i'm really worried about muscle loss I can ride the E-bike to the gym

the area club VP & both the paid builders ride E bikes so I have social license to ride and there is no poaching, its not like riding in America where you have to ride with Americans
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-14-2023 at 12:52 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For $200 you can get a Schwinn single speed and look for any hill to max out heart rate.

If I were to liken the pedal performance of my Ancheer to a motorcycle dirt bike, power has a lag like it's running rich off the bottom when I give it the "gas" and when I back off the "throttle" the throttle slide gets stuck for a second before the revs come down. Is this lag more pronounced in a cheap eBike?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    obviously you can do whatever you want I'm just suggesting what is the sweet spot of E-bike ops IMO/ IME

if i'm really worried about muscle loss I can ride E-bike to the gym

the area club VP & both the paid builders ride E bikes so I have social license and there is no poaching, its not like riding in America where you have to ride with Americans
    Haa true. Evan keeps blabbing about no motorized trails. Obviously he's in the center of the universe and all knowing. #murica
    Then there's toast the liberterian of E. Core shots emtb equivalent(sorry low blow). Has an emtb for 3 years, still claims its the wifes, and hasnt discovered the fun in steep tech climbing. #bothsidesofthefence

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    For $200 you can get a Schwinn single speed and look for any hill to max out heart rate.

If I were to liken the pedal performance of my Ancheer to a motorcycle dirt bike, power has a lag like it's running rich off the bottom when I give it the "gas" and when I back off the "throttle" the throttle slide gets stuck for a second before the revs come down. Is this lag more pronounced in a cheap eBike?
    I guess it would be on a single speed, depending on the gearing. For road and walking paths i think seven speed would give you plenty of range. In the right gear E can be pretty quick off the line, depending on the mode selected

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post

today what i have been trying to school the campers on is how to ride a pedal assist E-bike

whereas I notice you talk about a throttle " Now I use the throttle where it's slow and tight."

the expensive mtn bikes are pedal assist only period so they never have a throttle like the cheap E-bikes,

I asked shop bro about this and he said " we do not sell the mtn bikes with a throttle becuz they are not legal in Canada "

of course i can still order one on-line and it will be at my door step in 2 weeks but its not legal, America may be different

With the current deals out there this year it might be the time to get into a mid drive pedal assist. In some cases the price is comparable to the online hub drive throttle bikes

Then there's toast the liberterian of E. Core shots emtb equivalent(sorry low blow). Has an emtb for 3 years, still claims its the wifes, and hasnt discovered the fun in steep tech climbing. #bothsidesofthefence

We've had the moped for about 5 years, which if memory serves is longer than you've had yours.

But regardless, I fully acknowledge that tech climbing is fun. Also about the only way to get a bit of a workout. Although it's mostly upper body from muscling the thing around - doesn't do much for my cardio or legs. But the eeb is for 1) massive climbs that are just a hike with a pedal bike, 2) lazy fuck around kind of rides where I want to bang out some laps with minimal effort, and 3) trailwork access. If I want exercise, I'll ride my regular bike.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    We've had the moped for about 5 years, which if memory serves is longer than you've had yours.

But regardless, I fully acknowledge that tech climbing is fun. Also about the only way to get a bit of a workout. Although it's mostly upper body from muscling the thing around - doesn't do much for my cardio or legs. But the eeb is for 1) massive climbs that are just a hike with a pedal bike, 2) lazy fuck around kind of rides where I want to bang out some laps with minimal effort, and 3) trailwork access. If I want exercise, I'll ride my regular bike.
    Now essplain that to evan. Id pay a small fee for front row seats

Edit: if youre maxed your maxed that includes your legs unless you give up and walk

Now essplain that to evan. Id pay a small fee for front row seats
    Why? I don't particularly care if he thinks ebikes are dumb.

Ebikes can definitely be pretty fun, but a lot of their strongest advocates are pretty douchey so I definitely understand the hate.

Why? I don't particularly care if he thinks ebikes are dumb.

Ebikes can definitely be pretty fun, but a lot of their strongest advocates are pretty douchey so I definitely understand the hate.
    Well he keeps coming in here just to stir shit. Douchey deserves douchey not bootlicking

Well he keeps coming in here just to stir shit. Douchey deserves douchey not bootlicking

Oh, man. Someone's stirring shit on the TGR forums? Better call the mods.

A bit hyperbolic arent we or is that more both sides of the fence/bootlicking? Someone goes in a thread only to start shit and how is that treated in any other thread? You come to their defence i guess. You cant have it both ways bud. Ill call out lies when i see them. no probs bro

Seriously considering getting a mid-range E-mtb, partly to access skiing in spring and summer, partly to get rid of the drive to trailheads, and partly just for its own fun. My commute is 25 miles of road each way so an E-mtb probably wouldn't be the best tool for that.

Willing to spend around 5k, and that seems like the bare minimum for something high performance. My priorities are long battery life, and reasonable weight so I don't get a hernia carrying it over stuff. 700wh is a bare minimum if I'm going to bother with this purchase, ideally I'd like even more. I'd love to be able to ride all day long without worrying about charge.

I'm considering The Spec Turbo Levo Comp and the Canyon Spectral:ON CF. The Specialized because its super popular, and it would be easy to get warranty support in SLC with their distribution center here in town. I worry a bit about the warranty being only 2 years, but I would imagine most problems would make themselves apparent before that? The Canyon is appealing because its the only bike in this price range with a 900wh battery, and it has a 6 year warranty (although I can't tell for sure if that applies to the motor and battery?) Are there any other models I should consider? I usually buy used bikes but it seems like new makes sense here because used isn't that much cheaper than new for these types of bikes.

I'm 6'1.5" and all arms and legs with a short torso. Inseam around 35" I'm usually between L and XL. Since its already going to be a heavy machine I'm inclined to go with an L, is this thinking correct? I went to a shop and they guy insisted I would be an S5 in Specialized, but I am leaning more towards an S4, let me know if I'm wrong. It would also be easier to throw a slightly smaller bike into the trunk of my Outback when necessary (I often ride after work and its more secure for me to have the bike inside the car).

You might want to look at the giant e trance. Best price, really nice bike, that motor sips the battery powa the best, and it comes with an 800w battery

I'm 5'8" on an S3 Levo. I've hopped on an S2 and it felt tiny and cramped descending. I'd caution against downsizing too much because of how fast a heavy ebike rides - you're going to want the length for stability. Unlike a normal bike, downsizing is never going to make it feel light and playful, just short and twitchy.

I picked up a Levo Comp on sale, and then upgraded like all the parts. The most critical upgrade would be the fork (36 is too noodly for a 50# bike). I'd also suggest going up to a 220mm rotor up front ASAP. Other than that, the Comp on sale is the exact same frame, motor, battery, display, etc. as the highest end S-Works model. It's just got cheap components hung off it.

Agreed with both Andeh and the shop guy re: sizing. I think you're solidly in S5 territory.

Agreed with both Andeh and the shop guy re: sizing. I think you're solidly in S5 territory.
    Same here. I’m 5’9” and on the S3. I’ve never once thought I’d be happier in a smaller frame, but I have occasionally wanted a bigger one.

One benefit of the Levo is the ability to adjust boost by 10% increments on the fly.

When I looked a few weeks ago on KSL here in SLC there were a ton of used MTB Levos for sale, probably because people ar sick of the motors failing. I thought Specialized ebikes were ones to stay away from? Not counting the 'but mine has been fine' ancedotes, anyone here about a broad problem with Levos or is that just a rumor?

From what I understand, there's been a few issues, which are covered under warranty. On the older ones, there was something with the sprag clutch bearings not being well sealed, getting water in them, then breaking. I believe there was a redesign in early 2022 on that part, and it hasn't been as much of an issue. There's also been some issue with the motor belt tolerances being slightly off, causing it to slip some times, which gets worse as they get worn in.

One of my buddies who's had his about a year longer than me has had his motor worked on twice under warranty, I think both times the motor belt. He rides it a lot, like 5 days a week, and uses it for trail work which involves towing a trailer full of tools.

If you look around, basically every ebike model has tons of reports of people having to take it in for warranty work. They're just such complex pieces of equipment, and relatively new. I would NEVER consider buying a used one until a manufacturer changes their warranty policy to extend across owners. Buy an ebike expecting that you will need to use the warranty.

I bought mine knowing full well that some people have had their Levos warrantied multiple times, but also that there are a lot of Spec dealers near me and that the warranty process is easy, essentially no questions asked. The Rocky ebike was really interesting but there's no dealers near me, so service/warranty would have been a real problem. For ebikes with Shimano motors, I've heard of getting stuck in a finger pointing between the bike brand and Shimano, and Shimano having part supply issues.

Thanks, that's great info.

Thanks everyone for the great info. I would imagine lots of used levos for sale in SLC is more due to the fact that they are by far the most popular ebike in the area rather than the motors having consistent issues but that is an interesting theory.

Between my wife and i we have 4 e mountain bikes in two different places, bosch and Yamaha motors, and zero problems

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

the good news is you can only go to hell once