Page 168 of 197 FirstFirst ... 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Theres still a derailleur. Time to ditch those things all together. Until then a friend is running 8speed 11-46 and he found an 11-48. Microshift 8spd shifter, $20 8spd chain, gx 12 der. Works amazing all the time. Especially majes sense for the eeb. He's taking discarded derailleurs out of tge parts bin at the bike shop. The old ders work like dogshit on 12 spd cassettes and still work like a charm on the 8 spd cassette

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app
    I could get behind that. I'm far more willing to have less gears on an ebike than I am on the regular bike. I could make an 8 speed 11-46 work no problem. Still having a long cage derailleur seems non-optimal though.

Ya long cage is a problem, even more so on the east coast im finding. My buddy has a few used derailleirs that he has at home and on his vehicle or pack at all times. Free from the parts bin. He said the micro shift der was shit and lasted a week or 2 but the dirt cheap micro shift 8 spd shifter is fine after 2 yrs. 8spd cassette was amazon cheap chinese jobby. The whole drivetrain was less than $100. Seems like its atleast wotth trying. 10/4 on easier to use on the emtb too. I end up wraring out a couple low speed cogs and a high speed cog on an 11 or 12 speed cassette way before the rest. Easier not to shift gears in trail mode with the tourque sensor just supplyong more tourque as needed rather than shifting, or boost for that matter. More shifting in eco but im rarely there unless im limping home

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I could get behind that. I'm far more willing to have less gears on an ebike than I am on the regular bike. I could make an 8 speed 11-46 work no problem. Still having a long cage derailleur seems non-optimal though.
    I still use the full range of the 1x12 on my ebike. With that 52 you can climb some stupid steep stuff. However I could easily skip every other.

Anyone else remember hammerschmidt?

Anyways I’m very curious as to the new sram AXS motor.

At the end of the day I want full wireless shifting / motor controls. Ability to add a booster pack, charge port on top tube that’s beefy, not the Shimano with flakey contacts or the even worse Rosenberg plug set. None of this is complicated, but does go to show we need more people that actually ride Ebikes to design them.

Speaking of which anyone see the Crestline Ebike? It looks pretty well thought out and the suspension is designed by the same guys that do the cascade links….

My NX/ EP8 shifts with such a good bang that I try to back off for a shift

I wonder if the new automatic system will have any mitigation for this,

a computer controlled pause or sft ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    My NX/ EP8 shifts with such a good bang that I try to back off for a shift

I wonder if the new automatic system will have any mitigation for this,

a computer controlled pause or sft ??
    That capability already exists but only if you run a DI2 derailleur with it. Your head u it has the settings for it built in.

Autoshift = meh for anyone that knows how to shift

Freeshift = cool

Internal gearing with no derailleur = cool

Drivetrains that last = cool

Ebikes = cooler then analog

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Well now that I’m totally hooked on my mountain moped, my gf wants/needs one too. Only problem is, it seems like standover is going to be an issue for her on a lot of ebikes.

Her: 5’5”, 29” inseam, competent but cautious mtber with zero interest in getting gnarly. If the wheels leave the ground, something has gone wrong.

We’re looking at full power Ebikes with a priority in battery size, since the whole point for us is to be able to do >5000’ rides on a charge. I’m thinking a 700Wh battery or so. Build needs to be decent, but not baller. Think Fox Rhythm and SLX.

So what’s out there for full power emtbs with big batteries, and good standover clearance? For reference, she test rode a Small Trek Rail yesterday and standover wasn’t great despite the riding bike fit seeming slightly on the small side. Not helping things is the inconsistent way that bike companies measure their stated standover, making comparisons practically worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Well now that I’m totally hooked on my mountain moped, my gf wants/needs one too. Only problem is, it seems like standover is going to be an issue for her on a lot of ebikes.

Her: 5’5”, 29” inseam, competent but cautious mtber with zero interest in getting gnarly. If the wheels leave the ground, something has gone wrong.

We’re looking at full power Ebikes with a priority in battery size, since the whole point for us is to be able to do >5000’ rides on a charge. I’m thinking a 700Wh battery or so. Build needs to be decent, but not baller. Think Fox Rhythm and SLX.

So what’s out there for full power emtbs with big batteries, and good standover clearance? For reference, she test rode a Small Trek Rail yesterday and standover wasn’t great despite the riding bike fit seeming slightly on the small side. Not helping things is the inconsistent way that bike companies measure their stated standover, making comparisons practically worthless.
    I'd bet that fitting the longest possible dropper post will solve most of her issues, regardless of the frame's actual standover height. 5' 5" with a 29" inseam isn't that short, so I bet she'll be ok on whatever if she can get the seat down and out of the way. A bike with a longer, uninterrupted seat tube will probably allow her to run a longer dropper.

One thing to keep in mind, range isn't just based on battery size, it also has a lot to do with the power and weight ratios. So she will most likely be able to do the same length ride as you with a smaller battery. I think this is an area the newer SL bikes are going to be excellent at.

I'm with toast. 29 inch inseam isn't that short. Think mullett. Yt decoy medium or small except not a monster battery.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

she might be on the small side for a 29"er that comes in a full on E-bike, I'm 5'8" 30" inseam and IME the 5.5 yeti and the Bullit are perfect for me in a Medium but they don't make a small in either bike cuz medium is usually about as small as 29'ers go and spending 11K you kind of want a bike that fits

630 watt batteries are pretty common now, It looks like Norco makes a small full on E bike with EP8 motor with 540/ 720/ 900 W batteries,

actualy my buddy bought Norco's for him and his wife, I'm pretty sure she takes a small and Norco lists smalls on their web site

But how will I know who to heckle as they beat my ass on the climb - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...9-xx1-axs.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb22946241.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	875.3 KB 
ID:	421404

That Trek is definitely stealth AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's slick that it just bolts on to a standard EP8. Problem is looks to be 10X heavier than running a traditional derailleur and lets face it, the whole key to EMTB's is maximizing the power to weight ratios. I think these new more compact motors such as the Fazua and the one used on the new Trek, will open the door for a possible gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    But how will I know who to heckle as they beat my ass on the climb - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...9-xx1-axs.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb22946241.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	875.3 KB 
ID:	421404
    Same with the Transition Relay. I'm looking forward to this category of bikes killing the whole debate on bikes being allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Problem is looks to be 10X heavier than running a traditional derailleur
    I doubt the difference is that large, especially compared to Deore/NX level parts. Regardless, on an ebike I'll happily trade unsprung weight for sprung weight even if there's an overall weight penalty.

Regardless, on an ebike I'll happily trade unsprung weight for sprung weight even if there's an overall weight penalty.
    This. The Zerode I rode for a little while a few years back still probably has the best feeling suspension of any bike I've ever been on. That's despite it having a mediocre CC Inline Air rear shock and an entirely non-fancy suspension design that didn't have a ton of travel. The rear end of that thing felt sooo good. But it was heavy, grip shift sucks, and not being able to shift under load was hugely annoying.

But on an ebike, everything is heavy so the weight is less noticeable. And some of the newer gearboxes have trigger shifters. And tying the shifter to the gearbox and having the motor cut power during the shift seems like it could solve the shifting under load issue.

I doubt the difference is that large, especially compared to Deore/NX level parts. Regardless, on an ebike I'll happily trade unsprung weight for sprung weight even if there's an overall weight penalty.
    yeah thats not where the weight is and besides NX works fine, i have it on my entry level Bullit

Any enduro bike is going to come in at 32lbs ish, add 6 lbs for an EP8 and 9 lbs for the battery puts you just under 50lbs, IME what you really gotta be aware of is the extra weight if you bobble and get off on the down side of a trail

IME shimano XT on the 5.5 wasn't much different than NX on the Bullit, fox products on the 5.5 wasnt much different than SRAM products on the Bullit and its all worked fine for > 1000 kms of dedicated trail riding

edit: my buddy bought the small Norco E-bike for his wife and she is 5' 2"

That new trek exe is awesome. Videos make it sound completely inaudible on the uphill. I wonder what will happen when ebikes become so stealth that you can no longer tell in areas where they are not allowed (pretty much everywhere near me).

yeah thats not where the weight is and besides NX works fine, i have it on my entry level Bullit
    NX shifts just fine, but there's no debate that unsprung weight hanging on the rear axle impedes rear suspension performance. Here's the Zerode review toast referenced: https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...ulously%20well

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    I wonder what will happen when ebikes become so stealth that you can no longer tell in areas where they are not allowed (pretty much everywhere near me).
    Either all restrictions will be lifted, or bikes will be banned entirely.

Any enduro bike is going to come in at 32lbs ish,
    I am interested in this mythical 32lb enduro bike.

I stood on the scales with my 5.5 and it was 32 ish but i think weights might be sneaking up what with DD tires

Man, that Trek EXE is really interesting. I borrowed my friend's Turbo Levo for the weekend and ran the battery dry both days (5000 ft in about 1:40). But holy hell it was noisy. Like, when I passed people on the fire roads, I turned it down to Eco because I felt bad for how loud it was. I was thinking that whatever ebike I get would be a full power / big battery one, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to throw a couple range extenders in a hydration vest if it meant the bike wasn't deafening.

MrsJm2e has a small Levo. She’s 5’ 2”. And if you put her on a bike with shitty stand over, she’ll stab you in the throat.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Either all restrictions will be lifted, or bikes will be banned entirely.
    I see ebikes being allowed everywhere mountain bikes are currently allowed in the near future. However, I also see ebikes ensuring mountain bikers never see their access increased in National Forests or National Parks. Hopefully, it won't decrease but I don't see it increasing other than a few isolated spots here and there.

In Washington, all the new trail construction is on state, private, county, and city land, which has proved to be great places to build out trail infrastructure near population centers (think low elevation, second growth forests that are still being actively logged).