Page 159 of 197 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by harveymushman View Post
    To me, the uphill single track speed differential is the most problematic of e-rider etiquette issues.

The maximum watts allowed rule is also important to direct the e-motorcycle group to the motorized trail systems.
    well ya, real E mtn bikes made by real mtn bike companies who are offering E alternatives are gona play better than an electric motorcycle made of chinesium, in other words you should still be riding a bicycle on bicycle trails IMO

i duno about watts cuz it doesnt take many watts to pass the guy on his acoustic bike so not being an asshole is a good thing, right now its not hard to buy an enduro bike with 85 NM of motor which is 4X more power than a rider on an acoustic bike

the shimano EP8 mtr makes a enough noise so people hear me coming and either get ready to be passed or stop & get out of the way but its not an issue here
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sounds like you live in a nice spot, cheers to that. I live in one of the more preservationist Forest Service districts so I'm guessing it'll be at least 10-20 years before emtb's are legal to ride on the bicycle trails around here.

Watts vs torque - whatever the measure, as long as the power produced can be run reliably through a standard bicycle drivetrain. I think they limit Cat 1,2 and 3 bikes by watt output currently.

Your passing technique seems fine for you situation. It's convenient that it is easy on an e-mtb to wait for a good spot before pressuring them by riding close.

In the situation I've seen you can't just pass because we are on single track. And you have more people behind you in your group. In this case I think it is important to back off and get your group in one pod to pass the rider as one group. Not make them pull over for every rider individually as they catch up to them.

What will probably happen is MTBers will either age out or be too injured to ride an acoustic bike and then e assist will be more accepted

I mostly ride mid day when normal people are working in an area that is not busy so its not unusual to be the only person on the trail system but the point is to not act like an idiot and to have the social license to ride E assist wherever you ride IMO

I havent seen any of the electric motorcycles in the area localy so no idea how that would go over, I think it would make a local trail area pretty small, while you can definalty get some ripping electric motorcycles its probably smarter to stick with the established bike store brands IMO .

Electric Bike Thread

Lots of people retrofitting ebikes with ski racks in Aspen.

I saw a Sur Ron at the 1A lift yesterday with a ski rack.
    At the end of the day, the dude gave his Shred Betty a ride down the hill and that looked pretty sketchy. They’re not that big.

Great idea for spring approaches. The aftermarket products for ebikes has a lot of possibilities, ski racks included. Id like to see motor adapters along with the wiring harnesses and adapters with traditional bb's and more external batteries

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Buddy of mine would like to get an ebike for a commuter but also capable of doing gravel. Possible in the 2500-3500 range? I know almost nothing about ebikes or gravel bikes but thought their might be some over seas direct to consumer brand that could do this? Or just tell him if he really is going to replace a car to spend more or just get a cheaper ebike for just the commute?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    Buddy of mine would like to get an ebike for a commuter but also capable of doing gravel. Possible in the 2500-3500 range? I know almost nothing about ebikes or gravel bikes but thought their might be some over seas direct to consumer brand that could do this? Or just tell him if he really is going to replace a car to spend more or just get a cheaper ebike for just the commute?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

so I have only ridden/ owned E-bikes made by the real bike mfger

I see these bikes made out of chinesium with a hub drive motor, I'm thinking they should be OK if you aren't asking much of it off the road but again I haven't ridden one

at the 3500 price point if you could get say the Giant with a suspension fork and a center drive motor from a real bike mfger and it could go to the dealer for service & warranty, I had the giant ( I think it was the Roam E+ ) very briefly and it was just sub 3k as i remember,

my take but there are other takes for sure
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-27-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Just read most of this thread...whoa... lots of opinions.

Not here for that... but could use the following advice.

Wife wants an ebike. 27.5 wheels. Modern Enduro geometry with slack head tube angle. 5'5 1/2" tall. Longer legs shorter torso.

I've searched the web and have a few ideas, but only based upon reading specs so I won't bias to begin with.

Thoughts collective?

Thx in advance

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Get the biggest battery available. I have a 540, and it leaves me wanting a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post

Wife wants an ebike. 27.5 wheels. Modern Enduro geometry with slack head tube angle. 5'5 1/2" tall. Longer legs shorter torso.

I've searched the web and have a few ideas, but only based upon reading specs so I won't bias to begin with.

Thoughts collective?

Thx in advance

Think there will be a lot of choices in a "Mullet" but a 27.5 F&R, the only late edition one I heard of is a SC Heckler in a SM. My wife is 5'6 1/2 and has a Orbea Wild with 29"'s has had the bike for 2 years and has no problem with the size. Her friend is 5'3 and has a Levo SL with 29" and has no problem with that either.

Personally, I would have confidence with a Mullet for her. IMO, Ebikes generally are a bit front heavy so having a bigger wheel up there would be helpful. Additionally, she would really want ground clearance, I know my wife does as a pedal strike or bottom out can really ruin her day......

Check out Orbea Rise. I have one. It's much lighter than most full power eMTB, and feels much more like a regular mountain bike, just with a booster in your rear wheel.

It doesn't have the mind-bending uphill acceleration that the big boys have, but it's a rad bike, and relatively affordable for higher-end eMTB. And it is a 29er, but feels pretty darn nimble.
    sproing!

Thoughts collective?

Thx in advance

Lavender is the new Turquoise, that is a medium Bullit at 5'8" / 30" inseam it fits me perfect, its a mullet,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210902_212749510.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	411192

I had ordered the Rise but then i thot maybe i should go big or go home and this had just arrived

When we got our Ebikes two years ago there wasn't a light lowered powered option. I also have a Orbea Wild in XL. These are big full power bikes but for us they fit in for us as we ride pedal bikes too and our ratio is about 50/50 during most of the year and pedal most of the time during the Winter when the upper long distant trails are snowed in. If we stopped riding pedal we would get Rises and ride it all the time. However, now we have a great option and a fun change of pace.

Such great info thx!

I don't think I mentioned, but should have, that she wants to be able to use the ebike to ride dh equivalent/ bike park trails without a shuttle.

Unfortunately, the Bullitt does not come in a size small.

I can't find geo specs for Orbea or Luna bikes other then in millimeters. Doubtful either have slack enough head tube angles or appropriate offset.

No way she'll ride a full 29er; maybe a mullet.

New giant reignE is a solid option. Mullet , 160/170 , nothing needs changed right out of the box and probably the best price atm. Nice looking bikes and the new motor is getting good reviews both in power transfer and muleage. Im not sure if they have a small though. Yt decoy mx would be a good option. Ill keep running mine this year(3rd year). They have a small, mullet, coil rear shock, 165/170, tons of standover, fun bike. Another fave is the new trek rail. 29 but it has a flip chip and lots of people are mulleting them because it has a flip chip that adjusts it. People are long stroking them with coil rear and getting 162r/170f travel. Bosch motor is possibly the best for durability, power and mileage. Maybe the best bike to travel with because you can fly and rent a battery at a lot of destinations

Don't think a super slack head angle is needed or wanted with a mullet. Or, maybe a aggressive Trail/Enduro 29 ebike either. We have over 2k on ours all single track and there is value having both wheels planted doing DH cornering. Anyway, important having a local dealer for support when bike malfunctions.

I disagree. The same reason i recommend more travel is the same reason i recommend a slacker head angle as well as a seat angle that isnt overly steep. Its because you have assist so that overcomes any extra travel or slacker head angle. It puts any disadvantage in a small issue category and the added travel and slack head angle will add much greater benefit at some point. You dont have to be overly concerned with having these current super steep seat angles as well. Again because pf assist you end up pedaling more through flat chunder carrying more speed so you dont want to be jacked over the front. Youll also have your srat down a couple few inches more often and that in effect steepens your seat angle. Climbing youll be playing more picking fun lines so steep seat angle isnt as playful

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I disagree. The same reason i recommend more travel is the same reason i recommend a slacker head angle as well as a seat angle that isnt overly steep. Its because you have assist so that overcomes any extra travel or slacker head angle. It puts any disadvantage in a small issue category and the added travel and slack head angle will add much greater benefit at some point. You dont have to be overly concerned with having these current super steep seat angles as well. Again because pf assist you end up pedaling more through flat chunder carrying more speed so you dont want to be jacked over the front. Youll also have your srat down a couple few inches more often and that in effect steepens your seat angle. Climbing youll be playing more picking fun lines so steep seat angle isnt as playful

Agreed with this, except for the steep seat angle part.

Ebike lets me climb a bunch of stuff that's HAB on my regular bike. That's my primary use for the ebike - going on big rides that aren't that fun on a regular bike because there's so much hiking. But those climbs are steep and techy, so a more forward climbing position (i.e. steep seat tube) is very beneficial.

I am talking about modern geometry not old school verses new. My 2020 Orbea has a head angle of 65.5 and seat tube of 76. Not sure where that fits in compared to 2022 of any popular brands. It is a 29/29, would I like it better as a mullet? I don't know but I own it and I ride it. For me and my wife too they are solid trail bikes riding technical terrain. Front end feels planted and not drifty but don't really ride or demo other bikes. I also ride a Hightower a lot and my Orbea feels less apt to OTB generally...

Such great info thx!

I don't think I mentioned, but should have, that she wants to be able to use the ebike to ride dh equivalent/ bike park trails without a shuttle.

Unfortunately, the Bullitt does not come in a size small.

I can't find geo specs for Orbea or Luna bikes other then in millimeters. Doubtful either have slack enough head tube angles or appropriate offset.

No way she'll ride a full 29er; maybe a mullet.

sounds like the Bullit is right for her app, too bad it doesnt come in small, maybe try sitting on a medium ?

I think any brand of the bike she wants probaby won't go down to a small but she might be on the cusp of medium?

The yeti 5.5 was a full 29 only went as small as medium, the Bullit is a mullet also only goes to medium, both fit me perfect at 5'8 with a 30" inseam

the Yeti 5.5 was really long and the Bullit is even longer but i got used to the length, I tend to just make bigger arcs and bounce off/ ride over everything

I really like the way the Bullit handles , I duno if its the mullet or something to do with the geometry but it feels a little more spry than the 5.5

and how bout that color eh
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-29-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sounds like the Bullit is right for her app, too bad it doesnt come in small, maybe try sitting on a medium ?

I think any brand of the bike she wants probaby won't go down to a small but she might be on the cusp of medium?

The yeti 5.5 was a full 29 only went as small as medium, the Bullit is a mullet also only goes to medium, both fit me perfect at 5'8 with a 30" inseam

the Yeti 5.5 was really long and the Bullit is even longer but i got used to the length, I tend to just make bigger arcs and bounce off/ ride over everything

I really like the way the Bullit handles , I duno if its the mullet or something to do with the geometry but it feels a little more spry than the 5.5

and how bout that color eh
    The color is tits! She likes it too.

Will have to get her on one to size it.

Thx again for all the input guys. Keep it coming. I'll add and thoughts soon... next couple meetings. Yay for a 'not' day off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F48945A6-0C5D-4CD0-AC49-4AC121E61D70_1_201_a.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	411362

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Agreed with this, except for the steep seat angle part.

Ebike lets me climb a bunch of stuff that's HAB on my regular bike. That's my primary use for the ebike - going on big rides that aren't that fun on a regular bike because there's so much hiking. But those climbs are steep and techy, so a more forward climbing position (i.e. steep seat tube) is very beneficial.
    The steeper and techier it gets the lower the seat goes because the steepest trails your standing. Steep seat angle isnt needed and sucks if youre hammering through chunder on the flats. Watch Chris Akrigg, he's not sitting

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I am talking about modern geometry not old school verses new. My 2020 Orbea has a head angle of 65.5 and seat tube of 76. Not sure where that fits in compared to 2022 of any popular brands. It is a 29/29, would I like it better as a mullet? I don't know but I own it and I ride it. For me and my wife too they are solid trail bikes riding technical terrain. Front end feels planted and not drifty but don't really ride or demo other bikes. I also ride a Hightower a lot and my Orbea feels less apt to OTB generally...
    I figure the full power emtbs are always going to be plow bikes so 63⁰-64⁰ha is good and 75⁰-76⁰ SA is fine. Its tge 78⁰ seat angles i dont like for emtbs. Theyre only good for winching my steam powered enduro bike up a hill or time trial position on the pavement. The mullet will give the plow bike a little agility side to side and quicker in the steep dh corners. If youre super tall/loooong legged 29 is fine

Im not big on a lot of santa cruz' paint jobs but that bullit color is good. It really stands out in pictures in the forest