Page 150 of 197 FirstFirst ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Took the Orbea Wild for a ride today. First thing i noticed was the 160mm cranks. So tiny. Spin spin spin. Once I got on the trail the tiny cranks were awsome. It took a bit to wrap my head around not fearing pedal strikes but once I got used to it it was fucking great. Gnarly rock strewn technical bits were no problem, just hammer through. I climbed in eco because anything more seemed too much. In emtb it felt like a dirt bike, 160mm travel with 85nm of torque hardly felt like biking, no sucking wind, no riding off the trail because im too bagged to keep pedaling.

I had the opportunity to use walk mode up a stupid steep loose section, lets just say I approve.

On the DH it was so fast. So fast I think I'd hurt myself having fun if I rode it every day. Little sections where you can get 2 or 3 pedal strokes in is now like you got 8 or 10. It makes me wish I was 20 and fearless again.

I got > 350km on the Santacruz Bullit and that ^^ sounds about right, I spend a lot of time in boost cuz its fun, even going down hill for scooting thru a berm or bouncing off roots while using them for berms is fun, where I switch to trail mode is in big root/ rock spots on tricky places where the power can thro me off into the weeds

I get a lot of pedal strikes but I think its cuz I keep peddling so the motor keeps pulling, so I'm trying to pause the peddling when close to things I don't want to peddle strike which will slow me down anyway, I am running the plastic Race Face chesters which seem to be indestructible, no more SPD's on the trails

I have fallen off a couple time in one sesh by having too much fun in slippery conditions]so I don't ride it without knee & elbow padz

No sucking wind in anerobic oxygen debt which I don't think is good for you ?

IME I can lose a little weight everytime I ride it for a few hrs, I think cuz the motor allows you to keep the heart in the right weight burning cadence for long enough TO burn the weight ?

At end of the day the Bullit is a Nomad with 15lbs of battery and motor, so enough of the E wanking, I've never had a Santacruz which is one of the reasons for buying it, so far I really like the SC product, I like the handling, I like the mullet config which seems to make for a great for a cut n jab kind of handling , I think the bike has saved my ass more than a few times
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-10-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Id echo those thoughts. I have ity theory, not positive on the validity, that substantial rock/pedal strikes are a leading cause of motor failures. Ive been noting others mentioning it as well as my own motor warrantee, basically smashing the bearing and the torque sensor. Both seem to be the most common failure points. Tourque sensor , on shimano atleast, doesnt look like its substantially built and not how i imagined it looking. Definitely pedaling more through rougher terrain now. That additional flow everywhere is addictive at the same time i dont want my bb too high. I did get used to avoiding most pedal strikes then added 160mm cranks and thats been great. Its added a fair bit more clearance in sections of trail and the lack of dead spot keeps the power engaged better. I want to add a "rockstop" downtube/motor guard now. Occasionally im hitting the chain/chainring over rocks and logs. These bikes should all have skid guards because you cant put a traditional chainguide skid guard on with only a motor on no bb to mount it too. Husqvarna have a decent looking frame attachment for that.
    I only use eco if im conserving battery. Trail most of the time because its the feels the most natural working off the tourque sensor. Boost is for steep climbing, rest day laps, getting more vert in a shorter time/squeezing in the daylight. Add some snow to the climbs and i might use trail to regulate the power with the tourque sensor so i dont spin out.
    I havent tried an ep8 but im curious. It doesnt have the motor over run like the older e8000. I tsnd to rely on the over run on up and over rocks or roots when i have to stop pedaling. I have a feeling im missing something with the ep8 though. They must get rid of over run for a reason. I can clearly see the advantage of getting the full power out of trail mode when you need it. E8000 i only get full power in boost. If i push hard in trail mode i think i only get a max of 80ish % power. Seems like id use trail mode even more if i could get full power and itd be more natural and battery efficient

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I took a really big noisey hit yesturday just motoring along but the bottom of an EP8 is is a pretty good skid plate, no scars or damage as far as i can see,

the probelm right now is that with all the leaves freshly fallen and covering everything I can't see where all the rocks are that I should avoid, its kind of like early season ski touring at low tide

On an EP8 a 34T chainwheel is mostly protected by about 1/2 inch I would say and I don't think I have bashed it yet

My 34t is slightly below my e8000. I guess theyve tilted the motor enough. Give and take i guess, i dont want to hit the chain/chainring or motor case. Ive seen some dyi and other dowtube/motor protectors but i guess im fixated on the "rockstop" atm. Thus far ive been ok(5000+km) and i dont think that will affect the tourque sensor or bearings as much as just protecting the bike, stock plastic motor protector, chain and chainring. I snapped one chain and i think that was after a rock grind, most likely.
    Ive seen a lot of high mileage motors from commuters. Im noticing the guys that develop problems are bike breakers or have had major pedal slams. I got jacked big time when i clipped a pedal on a rock pedaling at speed. Caught some good air flying sideways. Bent the shimano crank. Chester pedals were fine surprisingly enough. No suspension to soften the blow on motor bearings on thst one. Thats like taking a sledge direct hit to the bearing. Only so many of those big hits they can sustain, understandably so. Early days they had more water mud ingress. That still happens but most of the motors have had ongoing tweaks to prevent that. My 5mm shorter cranks plus added 30mm axle to crown(160yari to 180 fox 38) have raised the pedals 14mm but an offset shock bushing and -1 degree headset has lowered them probably 5mm. Overall 1cm higher has me right. Going to milk this bike for what its worth. I have it set now so just add a little protection and keep it going as is.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    . Chester pedals were fine surprisingly enough. N[/URL]
    I asked shop bro if he was gona thro in some pedals on an 11K bike so he thru in the Chesters

I'm like plastic really ? He said that being plastic they take hits, slide off of rocks, he sold maybe 150 pair and only 1 broken pair, given the abuse so far I'm inclined to believe him

I switched to canfield crampon mts but i still have the chesters for spares. Def no complaints with the chesters. Crampons are a bit grippier and a bit more clearance and thin closer to the axle feel but theyre also 3x the price for a few incremental little tweaks

you can see how the EP8 sits in the frame and how much the chainring is protected by the motor, I wonder if its > past models and if so I imagine they did it on purpose ?

the yellow Chesters looked alot better when new and everything matched but they are looking a little beat up & some of the pins are gone

easy to grab a pic when the bike is sitting behind me in the dining room

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211011_211209436.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	388669

We got electric bike share bikes in Portland a year or so ago, and I finally took one for a spin. Verdict: they're hilarious. The e-assist does about 85% of the work up to 15 mph or so, and you get 0 assist above that speed, so as long as you're going 15 mph, you feel like Superman, but as soon as you want to go faster than that, you're pushing a 50-pound (estimate) bike around all by yourself. Best use case: biking up big ass hills at 15 mph. Could probably tow some friends too, that could be fun.
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 10-11-2021 at 06:35 PM.

The e-motorbike crowd where I live is all up in arms these days because somebody is building a wheelchair-accessible trail in one of our city parks. "Why should people in electric wheelchairs be able to go on the trails when we can't?...waaaaahhhh."

Wrong hill to die on IMO. They look like petulant children.

Ya they should build more adaptive trails. What a great bit of additional freedom. About the same speed as the whiners on antique bikes so i dont see the harm

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    We got electric bike share bikes in Portland a year or so ago, and I finally took one for a spin. Verdict: they're hilarious. The e-assist does about 85% of the work up to 15 mph or so, and you get 0 assist above that speed, so as long as you're going 15 mph, you feel like Superman, but as soon as you want to go faster than that, you're pushing a 50-pound (estimate) bike around all by yourself. Best use case: biking up big ass hills at 15 mph. Could probably tow some friends too, that could be fun.
    in view of the abilties of some people i see to ride a bike, the 15 mph limit on a rental is probably a good idea

The bikes we are talking about are limited to <32kph which doesnt sound that fast but it actualy is pretty fast on the tight trails most people ride an enduro type bike, keep in mind you can do this going uphill or downhill

keep in mind those bikes you rode are tourist grade, while the bikes we are talking about are basicly a nomad with 15lbs of battery/ the latest motor, with 7" of travel front & rear its way more dirt bike like in how i ride them

Rode my analog Orbea Occam today. Even though I can get an Obrea Wild or Rise ebike at cost I'm going to pass.

Ill probably never ride an analog bike again unless its a dh bike at a bike patk. Ill either sell my commencal meta am 29 or bolt on one of those cyc stealth motors. Really enjoying the vert and mileage im getting at an endurance pace and having way more fun on the climbs. I have a few ideas gor an E quiver in the future

I found a manufacturer that makes an extension kit to mod a TSDZ2 to 120mm. I have a TSDZ2 in a box, I think it needs to be mounted on my fat bike.

Whats a TSDZ2 ? Bafang? Does the mod have an option that isnt square gaper?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Whats a TSDZ2 ? Bafang? Does the mod have an option that isn't square gaper?
    You'd think a guy who drones on incessantly about ebikes could figure out how to use the googles: https://www.electricbike.com/tsdz2-7...orque-sensing/

I found a manufacturer that makes an extension kit to mod a TSDZ2 to 120mm. I have a TSDZ2 in a box, I think it needs to be mounted on my fat bike.

I mounted a Bafang BBSHD onto a Salsa Mukluk. It's fun, mainly just for getting around town. Might sell it as I don't ride it that much. I think I might get more for it if I sell the bike and the motor separate.

ASAP.

On second thought after looking at it doesn't it hang pretty low below the bb? That could end up poorly...

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    You'd think a guy who drones on incessantly about ebikes could figure out how to use the googles: https://www.electricbike.com/tsdz2-7...orque-sensing/
    Ya all the E haters hate that. Its awesome

More incessant ebike babble. This one going out to all the/my haters, yo. Theyre going to hate this. This thing rios. I could mount it above the downtube on my meta am 29

^Skinwalls are a nice touch.

Ya sharp looking ride. Cant see needing full power mode even in the legal setting. If it runs quieter in the lower modes i want one. Super tidy on my meta within the front triangle

Discovered that we sell Fantic bikes here. They make a fat bike with a Brose drive. I told the boss to bring in a size L so i could consider it.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I'd be careful. No personal experience with fantic but i hear lots of horror stories. Latest was a guy trying to contact them for months both stateside and italy. Apparently theyre down to one dealer in the US. Its a shame as the bikes look pretty good. Poor cs company together with a brose motor doesnt sound good

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Rode a Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay. Had a blast. Pedaled amazingly well. And boooooooooooosted the jumps, holy crap

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Had to scroll back and look and compare. I just remembered the color and wondered if you got to try next years bike. Big release at the end of this month for them. Just saw a leaked pic. Looks amazing. Tilted motor, high pivot, longer thinner battery slides in from the bottom. Cant wait for the full deets, travel , geo and weightName:  2948B0C0-8443-4D47-969F-036AB67028F4.jpeg.jpeg
Views: 451
Size:  57.5 KB