Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Can anyone comment on White Water or Red? Chatting it up in Revy several claimed White Water a hidden / local gem. As well as Red
    I’ve skied the past 28 seasons at Red, and have skied all the Kootenay mountains many times. They probably all provide better skiing than what your accustomed to, and can all be incredible on their day, but vary somewhat regarding snow, terrain, lifts, crowds, views, and nightlife. Unless you’re very particular about some quality, being flexible and chasing the snow is best, trying a few mountains is also good, but you’ll have fun at any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    They probably all provide better skiing than what your accustomed to,

Than Cascadeluke's WA Cascades?

Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    So what you really need is somewhere with lots of flights, that's really easy to get to from the airport and doesn't need a bunch of rental cars to get around while you're there. Somewhere with lots of choices of things to do in the evenings. Skiing for mixed abilities.

Why not Whistler?
    Excellent point. Whistler was last year’s trip...new mountain every year.

Lots of good stuff in this post! Thanks all.

Easiest to fly into Calgary...so KH, Fernie, and Revy are the best choices for a home base.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Go Balls Deep!"

fernie you have kimberly and castle near as well

golden you have Reve and LL near by as well

give you more options based on weather.

if you are doing a few days at Reve, lake louise, might look into the mountain collective pass too?

Than Cascadeluke's WA Cascades?

Nope.
    I’ve been traveling to explore more mountains in recent years. I’m almost always reminded why I love my home hill..

To be fair, that pic of the Revelstoke lift line is actually record breaking opening day crowds, Dec 3rd 2015. It wasn't a powder day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    Excellent point. Whistler was last year’s trip...new mountain every year.

Lots of good stuff in this post! Thanks all.

Easiest to fly into Calgary...so KH, Fernie, and Revy are the best choices for a home base.
    Fair enough... but IMHO and with no offence intended to their denizens.. Golden and Revelstoke are both kind of shit holes*.... and neither "resort" really has much infrastructure at it's base.

Not sure what your large crew is expecting or where you've been before other than Whistler. Just don't fall for KH and Revy's marketing hype.

Don't overlook the 3 hour drive to KH and 5 to Revy (at best) - as others have mentioned you really don't want to drive Rogers Pass in a storm.. if it's even open.

* which can be an acquired taste but may well be a shock to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUrkel View Post
    To be fair, that pic of the Revelstoke lift line is actually record breaking opening day crowds, Dec 3rd 2015. It wasn't a powder day.
    Fair enough. I couldn't remember what the occasion for the line was but was thinking it was a powder day. I bow to your better memory (not my picture, was from a friend of mine off FB).

I don't think you're wrong to use that photo GoldMember. It's accurate of what the early morning line looks like on a powder day. It does clear pretty quick. They increased capacity on the gondi by 25% last year.

I agree that it's best to fly into spokane and road trip up red/white/revy/Kh/Fernie/Castle/Schweitzer or reverse.

Whitewater is my favourite.

Fair enough... but IMHO and with no offence intended to their denizens.. Golden and Revelstoke are both kind of shit holes*.... and neither "resort" really has much infrastructure at it's base.

Not sure what your large crew is expecting or where you've been before other than Whistler. Just don't fall for KH and Revy's marketing hype.

Don't overlook the 3 hour drive to KH and 5 to Revy (at best) - as others have mentioned you really don't want to drive Rogers Pass in a storm.. if it's even open.

* which can be an acquired taste but may well be a shock to your system.

Neither of these places are whistler and that IS the point of going there, but If you already find these places too quaint ... you better not come any further narth eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Neither of these places are whistler
    Both of them were going to be the "next whistler"

but If you already find these places too quaint ... you better not come any further narth eh
    Shames rules. And Terrace is definitely quainter.

Both of them were going to be the "next whistler"

Shames rules. And Terrace is definitely quainter.
    No way cuz you can only have one "next whistler" and that was gona be HBM but oddly enough the guy who said that ain't there anymore, people are moving to smithers for lifestyle, buying up shit left n right, we got 2 craftbrew pubs which are both rockin and its hard to find a rental

the quaintest ski hill had to be Powderking or Troll

nice picture ^^ of the mayor of Shames

No way cuz you can only have one "next whistler"
    That exact phrase was used to me by some Kicking Horse marketing bint on my first visit there... she was flogging timeshares and condos using a huge model of the full vision of the future.

YMMV but the last couple times I was at whistler I couldn't wait to leave

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Attachment 241760
    he’s a pretty mediocre skier
    the first time i met gary we was ripping up a bump run like that one and then later on in the bar we simultaneously exclaimed "yer gary" - "yer XXX"

That exact phrase was used to me by some Kicking Horse marketing bint on my first visit there... she was flogging timeshares and condos using a huge model of the full vision of the future.
    That was almost 20 years ago?? Carry grudges long?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    That was almost 20 years ago?? Carry grudges long?
    Of course not... I didn't buy one.

PM Commonlaw.

I vote for Revy, higher chance of good snow, worth dealing with driving to the ski hill from town for. Yeah, staying in one of the nice big houses slopeside at KH is great, and the ski hill/backcountry absolutely kick ass, but if you hit a dry spell it's gonna be a bit of a downer IMO. Just coming off an amazing snow year so that means next winter will probably suck. Fernie is another good option.

lol... they might want to get rid of that one car bridge on the way in first.

For the OP - there's pretty much nothing at the base of Revelstoke besides a few restaurants. Kicking Horse has some lodges and bars and stuff but it's still pretty minimal, and the drive into Golden is further than I expected in advance. I did have a good time / some late nights at the bar at the Winston Lodge right nearby.

It's actually easier to drive into Revelstoke than it is into Golden, from each respective resort.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Just coming off an amazing snow year so that means next winter will probably suck.
    #science
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Go to KH. March is generally the best month for snow for KH and Revy. If you have a car the two are only 1 1/2 hours away so could do both if you have the time. Revy will get a few more mega dumps than the horse but it is also lower elevation and the front is south facing so if it's warm not as good. Can't go wrong with either. If you tour there is ridiculously good slackcountry off the top of KH . I haven't skiied Schweitzer in ten years....remember it as a fun hill but it doesn't have the terrain the KH or Revy has.

Quote Originally Posted by brraaap802 View Post
    If you tour there is ridiculously good slackcountry off the top of KH
    That terrain off the back of Stairway to Heaven looked amazing... sadly, I was solo both days and considerable conditions so way out of my comfort zone for an out-of-towner unfamiliar with the zone.

I really like "shit holes" with killer skiing.

Shwietzer looks rad to me. I think I could have a ton of fun on that mountain but I'm clearly not the "claim" rad that others on TGR must be.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I really like "shit holes" with killer skiing.

Shwietzer looks rad to me. I think I could have a ton of fun on that mountain but I'm clearly not the "claim" rad that others on TGR must be.
    Shit holes with killer skiing are the best! Fuck Vail and all the cookie cutter resorts. If it's a ski trip, you're there for skiing. If cuisine/night scene are your thing, go to a big metropolitan area.

It makes me laugh that all these tgr "skiers" like to debate which place has the best restaurants, etc.

Schweitzer's fun. It's the most resorty of INW ski areas, not sure if it's the best though 😉 but I have yet to find a place I don't like to ski at

This thread reminds me of how much I like skiing in interior bc!

I will repeat the advice that driving Rogers Pass in a snow storm or thick fog is not recommended - and I’d double down on that advice if you are in a sketch fwd rental with all season tires. I’ve seen recent piles of burnt out vehicle wreckage on the side of the road almost every time I’ve driven that pass.

If you are skiing resorts, decide last minute and go where the snow is. If you want to rip cord and groomers, this area is not worth the effort to get to just for that.