Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Schweitzer/Kicking Horse/Revy ?

Looking for some recommendations for a large group (9-11).

Want to go somewhere new first week of March.

Kicking Horse- steep, easy to get to, great large condos (near lifts)...
    Schweitzer- not very steep but could cat ski a day or two
    Revy- steep, huge, hard to get to (not a lot of flights), almost no where to stay near mountain

Leaning towards KH... but one of the guys has been there and claims:

My issue with Kicking horse is that I remember riding in the valleys between the ridges and that was all tracked all the time.
    So yes, they have cool steep terrain but you get a few hundred vertical of steep and then you are in tracks. Look how there’s a green run right down the middle of the main bowl. When I was there that big bowl on skiers Right (super bowl) wasn’t open – due to weather. Also you have to traverse all the way across the other bowl (Bowled over) to get there. Is it a great deal on a condo – hell yes. Does it have great terrain for a day or two. Yes. Do you want to be there for 4 days? I doubt it.

Wondering if his opinion is falsely biased by the closures...?

Worried that Schweitzer, while fun, doesn’t have the steps of the other two. Went once...most of mountain on wind hold. Cat skiing was a blast, however, the next two days. Any opinions here? 3 days of resort skiing...would we get bored?

Revy would be cool...would just be 10-15 away and would have to find some flights out there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Go Balls Deep!"

It's bullshit. That skier had no idea what he/she was doing.

There are dozens of tree lines with steeps and airs all the way down the front side.

That skier just needed to venture off the comfy green groomers.

If you decide to stay on the groomers, there are blue and black pitches that will get you over 90 mph easily.

Plus there are several ridges open at any given time with tonnes of regular in bounds and hike-to terrain that are super easy to find and access, and I've never seen all of them closed at the same time in the 15 years or so I've skied there.

Top to bottom runs at the Horse can take 45 minutes to an hour if your doing it right, and you won't really ski much of any groomer.

You could ski bell to bell (about 9 or 10 laps) for 4 days on only one of the ridges and never ski the same run twice, top or bottom of the mountain. The individual runs on each ridge are pretty varied. Plus there are 4 or 5 more additional ridges left to ski.

Look at a map. Look in between the groomers.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-15-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Thanks... appreciate the perspective. He's actually a really high level rider- so I'm thinking it was just a dry-spell with crappy weather to close the other bowl- limiting his options. We avoid the groomers if possible so it's good to hear that there would be enough for 4 days straight.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    It's bullshit. That skier had no idea what he/she was doing.

There are dozens of tree lines with steeps and airs all the way down the front side.

That skier just needed to venture off the comfy green groomers.

If you decide to stay on the groomers, there are blue and black pitches that will get you over 90 mph easily.

Plus there are several ridges open at any given time with tonnes of regular in bounds and hike-to terrain that are super easy to find and access, and I've never seen all of them closed at the same time in the 15 years or so I've skied there.

Top to bottom runs at the Horse can take 45 minutes to an hour if your doing it right, and you won't really ski much of any groomer.

You could ski bell to bell (about 9 or 10 laps) for 4 days on only one of the ridges and never ski the same run twice, top or bottom of the mountain. The individual runs on each ridge are pretty varied. Plus there are 4 or 5 more additional ridges left to ski.

Look at a map. Look in between the groomers.
    "Go Balls Deep!"

The other bowl?

There are way more than 2 bowls that you have easy access to via Gondi and chairs plus a short traverse or 5 to 10 minute walk/skate/hike. All lead back to the chair or Gondi at the bottom.

4 separate bowls (or 5 separate bowls if you bring probe, shovel, beacon) with 9 or so different faces to access. Each face has about 10 or so different "runs".

That's why I say your friend had no idea what they were doing.

And that's not even counting any of the varied treed areas and drainages on the bottom half of the mountain.

https://www.onthesnow.com/british-co.../trailmap.html

If you're not comfortable finding your own way around, go rent a yellow jacket (the resort's big mountain ski guides) for a day.

https://kickinghorseresort.com/purch...ntain-clinics/
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.

If your not having fun at KH, either the weather sucks or your doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahar View Post
    If your not having fun at KH, either the weather sucks or your doing it wrong.
    This. Revelstoke is fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    The fastest world cup downhillers, on the fastest course on the world cup circuit, hit 90 mph.

if you can get to 90 mph easily then you should be competing - and on the podium every week.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    The fastest world cup downhillers, on the fastest course on the world cup circuit, hit 90 mph.

if you can get to 90 mph easily then you should be competing - and on the podium every week.
    You don't know that I didn't.

There are two specific groomed pitches where I get above 150 kph reliability according to my Garmin CSx60 (in my pocket) and my Garmin Fenix 3 (on my wrist).

Obviously, there's error involved with those, even on a wide open run, but I don't have access to a speed gun these days.

Let's subtract 20 kph (~15%) for error, and that still gives brief but reliable max speeds of 80 mph.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-15-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Schweitzer/Kicking Horse/Revy ?

Reckless makes a compelling case for KH.
    I’ve had reservations the last two years but canceled due to conditions at the time and have regret.
    Revelstoke was a great experience even though barely any accumulation while on trip. Sunny cold and beautiful. Thought the town was cool - great food and friendly people. We stayed off resort and found the short drive back and forth easy and made trips to hotel/town midday then back to hill, simple parking in and out.
    I will say Reckless makes it seem like many more terrain options at KH vs Revy where you’d probably be re-skiing some area. That’s how I found it as a tourist anyway.
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 07-15-2018 at 06:50 PM.

The bottom 1/3 of the mountain is a natural-terrain playground jib park, on the runs, off the cat tracks, and in the trees.

Unlimited lines. Channel your inner freestyle jibbster, like a much lower angle Candide Thovex video ... with less arm flailing.

*fingermoustache

When is the best time if you were me? Feel like I missed the March dump with reservation last year by one week early. Canceled then reports showed started firing soon after was supposed to be there. January the previous year was dry- canceled.

Weather is weather.

The best bet is always to chase the snow. The good news is that if it isn't firing at the Horse, the Lake, Fernie, and Revy are only a bit away, and of its really not firing the Pass is great for touring.

I'd say the most reliable time at the Horse is early January and early March.

In early January, the storms are usually lining up in the Pacific and coming over the Pass, but the Christmas crowds are gone.

In early March, you still get expresses coming over the Pass, but if those aren't happening, there are good chances of upslopes coming in from the south.

Plus, if it's mid to late February, I can usually find knee to thigh deep a week or two after a storm, if you know where to go. The windsift is real.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-15-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Okay, I was on track but unlucky. Agree on chasing snow and get a lot around my area that way. I’ve sworn to get there this year when primo.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Okay, I was on track but unlucky. Agree on chasing snow and get a lot around my area that way. I’ve sworn to get there this year when primo.
    Yup. Definitely on track.

Also depends on el Nino vs. la Nina.

As another generalization, on top of the January / March generalizations:

El Nino ... Early (December) and late season (March / April) get more storms. Drier mid season (January / February).

La Nina ... Mid season gets more storms (January through March). Drier early and late season.

Again. Not always. But generally. This season being one of the exceptions. La Nina that fired all winter and didn't quit until closing.

The Arctic Oscillation doing its thing also pushes everything up or down enough degrees of latitude to make a difference, thus the other aforementioned road trip options available from Golden as a great central location.

Places to visit in town:

The River House

Cedar Chalet, if you're feeling fancy (actually out of town, and expensive, but really fucking good). There's a shuttle that will take you there and drop you off back at your lodgings.

Go down to Gita's early one morning and grab a coffee and a pastry.

Then wander over to Backus and get another coffee and a quirky book.

Stroll down to the Bean Bag and grab some fresh roasted beans to take home. Their loose teas are really good too. The Blaeberry Blend is one of my favs. If you're feeling adventurous, mix it half and half with their Chamomile.

Red Tomatoe Pies makes some fucking killer pizza. Really. Fucking. Amazing. Be sure to grab a few to go.

Stop at the Big Bend for an unreal breakfast on your last day, on the way out of town. Try their hot sauce. Tangy warm burning.

If your up on the hill, go play giant Jenga (2 x 4s) at the Local / Winston (also have a kareoke night). Go to the Copper Horse for dinner one night (expensive but good).

Seriously. Not affiliated with any of these. Just a great little town that gets passed by on the highway to somewhere else. A rougher diamond than Revy, but really worth the polish.

Don't even get me started on the mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, whitewater, lakes, and fishing in the summertime.

Mount 7 (Google psychosis)
    Cedar lakes
    Moon raker

Kickinghorse resort

Kinbasket

Sander

Kickinghorse River

The Blaeberry

Also a paragliding / speed flying / sky diving Meca

etc.etc.etc.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-15-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Fk ya! Thanks for the info download - I’ll dig into it.

Also, the golf course is well kept but mountain gnarly in content, and you're just as likely to get charged by a moose or a deer.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-15-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Spring pass at Schweitzer will cost approximately 100/rider ride all month.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    fkna the horse dont suck
    get ya sums terminators

and climb the

and revvys a blast if theirs coverage
    never been to schweitzer
    id be inclined to go back to fernie if snow conditions were similiar
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Revelstoke pow is the closest thing I've seen to Jackson/Alta/Fernie pow.
    Just damn good pow. Haven't done KH.

Sounds like there are some votes for Fernie as well...?

Thanks all for the beta! Much appreciated.
    "Go Balls Deep!"

I agree that KH has some kick-ass terrain. I hesitate to say this here, but it was a little TOO kick ass for me. Some of that had to do with the fact that I was skiing with my wife and I get nervous taking her on terrain I don't know, but that's an important factor in a group situation. All those exposed ridgelines with steep on either side can be really frightening in flat light. The other negative is that there are really only 2 lifts there, and the gondi had big lines when we were there last February. The fixed-grip quad at the top is cool but they really need more lifts there. I would have spent more time on the lower half of the mountain if there was any way to ski it without taking the Gondi. Lastly, most of the terrain outside of the 2 main bowls are going to require hiking if you want to ski the full vertical.

Revelstoke on the other hand was fantastic in every way and was more suitable to her ability level and my nerves. The town is at the same elevation as the base of the ski resort so there isn't as much of a village/town separation.

KH and revy are only 1 hr apart and rogers pass is in the middle so its pretty easy to find somewhere to ski

rogers pass was the most consistant for the pow
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Turner, bitches.

Schweitzer sucks, go north.