Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Anyone have a line on buying AFDs? Got some old Rossi 185 race FKS that I’d love to revive but both toes are missing the AFD.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Mac’s Pivot Pedestal Sale
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=346632

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm selling this set of Pivot 14s. Two or three years old. Were on my teaching skis, but starting to develop holes in the heel thingys as I show students how to "dismount" using their poles. EDIT: The brakes are 130mm (Yes, I finally checked).

Nooo price: $105 includes shipping to lower 48.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220324_152812776_HDR.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	410765
    Last edited by Viva; 04-26-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Speaking of warranty/AFD's, I've been beating my god damned head against a wall trying to figure out why my moment wildcats started to suck after replacing one afd on my FKS155's (black/orange). I used new in plastic race AFD's from Look, turns out, they aren't *really* compatible first, the little wing/hooks don't lock in, but mostly that the AFD's are a different height. Look confirmed that they had been getting "varying results" from people using the new stock afd's on older toes by modding the wings slightly, but he didn't mention afd height (probably can't recommend sanding it down). He did say some folks got good results with some modifications, others ended up retiring the bindings.

I can't get a good/accurate measurement since its mm's we're talking here. but if anyone has one of these AFD's lying around, I'd love to get one. I may pull one from a different pair of skis, but prefer trying to find one first. The circled one, not the x'd one.

Attachment 410452
    Did you shave off the nubbins in the middle? That's critical.

I have some rossignol WC race (fks 155) mounted, one has an original alpine afd, the other has a brand new alpine afd. I did shave the nubbins and tabs on the new afd.

The distance between the afd surface and the underside of the toe wing are the same on both.

The distance between the topsheet and the underside of the toe wing are not the same--so the ramp angle is slightly different between the two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Did you shave off the nubbins in the middle? That's critical.

I have some rossignol WC race (fks 155) mounted, one has an original alpine afd, the other has a brand new alpine afd. I did shave the nubbins and tabs on the new afd.

The distance between the afd surface and the underside of the toe wing are the same on both.

The distance between the topsheet and the underside of the toe wing are not the same--so the ramp angle is slightly different between the two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Same here. Older 155’s etc won’t work with the indexing tabs under the toe. I used a dremel with a sanding wheel to remove them and they work fine.

I'll try that, thanks. I just pulled a toe piece off my rock skis, and used that (older) afd. If that makes them feel good, I'm not going to touch them again and shave that nubbin down to replace on the rock skis.
    Thanks.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

And that solved the problem. Still looking for a few of those old baseplates/afd’s if anyones holding

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Any ideas what the half moon piece actually does?

Mines rattling around but not actually removable and as long as I get in near in place I can click in no problem. Trying to figure out if it's worth all the hassle of fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    Any ideas what the half moon piece actually does?

Mines rattling around but not actually removable and as long as I get in near in place I can click in no problem. Trying to figure out if it's worth all the hassle of fixing.
    The FKS heel piece is held onto the ski by 4 screws. The half-moon enables the 2 rear screws to hold the rear part of the heel piece onto the ski. If your half-moon is "rattling around", then I think your rear 2 screws are NOT holding your heel piece down...in which case, your heel piece is currently being held by only the 2 FRONT screws. Seems unsafe to ski your 4-screw heel with only 2 of those screws holding it down...so, fix it.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    The FKS heel piece is held onto the ski by 4 screws. The half-moon enables the 2 rear screws to hold the rear part of the heel piece onto the ski. If your half-moon is "rattling around", then I think your rear 2 screws are NOT holding your heel piece down...in which case, your heel piece is currently being held by only the 2 FRONT screws. Seems unsafe to ski your 4-screw heel with only 2 of those screws holding it down...so, fix it.

That's...not true.

The heel piece screw stack is as follows:

Screw underside, half moon, the static portion of the upper part of the of the heel turn table, the plastic assembly for "forward pressure", the metal underside of the plasticity assembly, and then the ski.

I finagled the broken half moon out, it's broken a long there thin walled sections surrounding, (pic below) but not underneath the screws, which are very secure. As far as I can tell, the only other intent of the half moon has something? to do with the brakes.

I'd rather not go through the hassle of getting those screws out and back in again, unless we can figure out the intent of the whole part, which frankly makes no sense to me. Seems like the only critical feature is some lock washers....

Name:	Image1648615550.446358.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	411391

Name:	Image1648615550.446358.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	411391
    Replying to myself because I'm a nerd, and going to justify why its doesn't need to be fixed (yet).

We've got a fatigue fracture along the "lock washer" serrations in the thin walled sections of both sides of the half moon piece. Looking at the ski, the fracture line on one side of the remaining part continues likely all the way into the the screw hole (likely where the crack propagation started).

I'm going to ski as-is and watch for deterioration of the remaining aspects for the rest of the season. Probably fix it over the summer, if I get around to it.

At worst I'll be skiing with 3 of the 4 screws secure.

Replying to myself because I'm a nerd, and going to justify why its doesn't need to be fixed (yet).

We've got a fatigue fracture along the "lock washer" serrations in the thin walled sections of both sides of the half moon piece. Looking at the ski, the fracture line on one side of the remaining part continues likely all the way into the the screw hole (likely where the crack propagation started).

I'm going to ski as-is and watch for deterioration of the remaining aspects for the rest of the season. Probably fix it over the summer, if I get around to it.

At worst I'll be skiing with 3 of the 4 screws secure.
    Same thing happened last week to the half moons on a pair of pivots i own. I PM'd @bamboocoreONLY, as he stocks these parts at his shop in Breck, and he gave me a deal on 2 half moons, shipped. $20 and you can have the same peace of mind, too.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

skithewest, it's hard for me to follow what you wrote, but I think you're saying that the "integrated lock washers" (part of the half-moon) broke off of your half-moon, but they did not shatter into tiny pieces and crumble away. I think you're saying that those newly detached "lock washers" are still functioning properly, because they're still mostly intact and still wedged underneath the screw heads, right?

Well, if that remaining "lock washer" material crumbles away later, then my concern is maybe that will leave a gap, and then the binding might get some loose up & down movement where those 2 rear screws are. Also, I can't visualize it at the moment, but now that your half-moon is removed, now when you move the brake arms up and down, can you now see the brake spring move in a suspicious way? Or does it look fine? And does it look like ice or gravel might affect that spring now that there's no half-moon to cover it? I dunno, it just seems sketchy not to fix it.

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    skithewest, it's hard for me to follow what you wrote, but I think you're saying that the "integrated lock washers" (part of the half-moon) broke off of your half-moon, but they did not shatter into tiny pieces and crumble away. I think you're saying that those newly detached "lock washers" are still functioning properly, because they're still mostly intact and still wedged underneath the screw heads, right?

Well, if that remaining "lock washer" material crumbles away later, then my concern is maybe that will leave a gap, and then the binding might get some loose up & down movement where those 2 rear screws are. Also, I can't visualize it at the moment, but now that your half-moon is removed, now when you move the brake arms up and down, can you now see the brake spring move in a suspicious way? Or does it look fine? And does it look like ice or gravel might affect that spring now that there's no half-moon to cover it? I dunno, it just seems sketchy not to fix it.

Pretty much a perfect summary. If the rest of the half moon (the "lock washers") crumble away, I'm definitely toast. The clamping force of the screw heads and remaining thin walled section should do a pretty good job keeping the critical aspects from coming out all at once.

It's unquestionably sketchy, but from what I can see, they're intact. Keeping an eye on it for the last 2 months of my season, and if I see any crumbling they'll be replaced before skiing again.

That brake part is really my only current concern. Seems like the wedge feature in the half moon keeps the brake from moving too far forward when released? Gravel, ice, etc won't keep the brake from up, but miiight be an issue if I come out, but not much more than with a half moon in place. It doesn't really cover the whole assembly even as new from what I can see from the unbroken other ski.

I think I'll risk it. also provide an update if I end up wrecking myself.

FS: FKS/Pivot Bindings: Used complete sets, and parts, mix-and-match

Pretty much a perfect summary. If the rest of the half moon (the "lock washers") crumble away, I'm definitely toast. The clamping force of the screw heads and remaining thin walled section should do a pretty good job keeping the critical aspects from coming out all at once.

It's unquestionably sketchy, but from what I can see, they're intact. Keeping an eye on it for the last 2 months of my season, and if I see any crumbling they'll be replaced before skiing again.

That brake part is really my only current concern. Seems like the wedge feature in the half moon keeps the brake from moving too far forward when released? Gravel, ice, etc won't keep the brake from up, but miiight be an issue if I come out, but not much more than with a half moon in place. It doesn't really cover the whole assembly even as new from what I can see from the unbroken other ski.

But. Like. Why?

I can see finishing a ski day. Maybe even finishing a ski trip. But get replacement parts and have done, man. It’s a couple screws and 5-10 minutes of your time.
    focus.

One more thing to consider checking before risking it. (I've never checked this myself).

With no boot clicked in, try using your hand to pull heel piece aftward, and expect it to slide aftward a few millimeters just like it would when a boot is clicked in. While in that state, look for anything suspicious. Also, while in that aftward state, use your hand to rotate the heel back and forth a bit, and again look for anything suspicious (like maybe the half-moon might play a bigger role in that state?). I dunno, just trying to cover possible risks here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    But. Like. Why?

I can see finishing a ski day. Maybe even finishing a ski trip. But get replacement parts and have done, man. It’s a couple screws and 5-10 minutes of your time.
    Right? Swissiphic, is that you?

Lost both plastic half moons on my heel pieces. Is the best thing to do in this situation just buy new brakes?

Pic:

Name:	IMG_2382.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	882.9 KB 
ID:	411481

Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus13 View Post
    Lost both plastic half moons on my heel pieces. Is the best thing to do in this situation just buy new brakes?

Pic:

Name:	IMG_2382.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	882.9 KB 
ID:	411481
    Slopestyle sorted me out with a metal half moon. Decent price and quick shipping

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Slopestyle sorted me out with a metal half moon. Decent price and quick shipping

Thanks but sorry I guess I don’t need the metal half moons but actually the plastic pieces that go behind them. Both of mine fell off and it definitely is affecting forward pressure

I have new Grip walk afd with screws for fks 15/18 for shipping or SLC meeting

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post

Appreciate the kind words!

To the lad with the missing black plastic pieces, the only fix for that is a new baseplate. Look doesn't sell that specific piece, I've tried haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Appreciate the kind words!

To the lad with the missing black plastic pieces, the only fix for that is a new baseplate. Look doesn't sell that specific piece, I've tried haha.
    That’s what I figured! I see there are plenty for sale online but also figured I ask the community is anyone has a pair of 95mm brakes or heel pieces for sale? Let me know!

Hey, I'm looking for a pair of Rossignol Axial toes like those in the picture. Basically, the toes for the Pivots 12 from a few years ago. They were the same. I have a pair of 115mm brake assemblies, only used twice, if anyone is interested in a trade.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	411664

Quote Originally Posted by Skaramanga View Post
    Hey, I'm looking for a pair of Rossignol Axial toes like those in the picture. Basically, the toes for the Pivots 12 from a few years ago. They were the same. I have a pair of 115mm brake assemblies, only used twice, if anyone is interested in a trade.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	411664
    Are you only looking for 12 DIN or would 14/18 work?

I'm looking for din 12