Orthopedic surgeon in CO?

CU, Steadman, etc.

Anybody got a favorite place or person?

My guy is about to retire and/or getting picky about what he'll do. So had to try a new guy, and not a happy camper.
    Last edited by capulin overdrive; 07-12-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Steadman is certainly the place to go, the "guy" depends on what body part.

Have heard good things about Panorama on the front range.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dr. Janes at Vail Summit Ortho was great for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Yes, Janes.

EVERY surgeon at VSO and Steadman is excellent to the point where if I was wheeled into the ER smashed up and told one of them would be fixing me, I'd feel relieved and happy that it was one of them, confident I was getting a truly excellent surgeon.

If I smash myself up less severely so that *I* get to pick who to schedule an appointment with:

Shoulder/Elbow - Dorf at VSO
    Knee - Hackett at Steadman or Janes at VSO
    Wrist/Finger - Viola at Steadman or Dorf at VSO
    Back - Corenman at Steadman
    Ankle - Clanton at Steadman
    Hip - Cafferky at VSO

Truth is there a hell of a lot of good surgeons around here, but those are the ones who have fixed my family, my friends, and me.

In the front range, I've heard good things about Panorama. They are a very large practice with over 100 doctors.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Dr Millett at Steadman, did my femur fracture.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app

Hackett name has came up before.

I was interested in Kim, just from searching.

How about on time for appointments, and actually talking to you vs pawning everything off on thier PA's?

Vidal at CU did an amazing job for the better half's knee. Steadman referred her there since they didn't take her insurance

Sent from my VS990 using TGR Forums mobile app

Orthopedic surgeon in CO?

Just a caveat....and I’d be willing to bet most of the steadman guys are good/great.
    But when your neighbor, says Dr. _____ is the best. Take that with the biggest grain of salt there is.
    I’ve seen/heard that comment thrown around about surgeons I wouldn’t let operate on my dog...and I’m not particularly attached to my dog.
    It’s tough, finding someone with first hand knowledge of a surgeons skills, that is willing to tell you the truth. But that’s the referral business.
    There are so many surgeons out there that I really have a hard time grasping how they even made it through the system....

But a place like Steadman, can be so selective, it’s probably as close to a sure bet as there is.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Vidal at CU did an amazing job for the better half's knee. Steadman referred her there since they didn't take her insurance

Sent from my VS990 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks!

What about the Gal or others in your valley?

And yeah, CU is top ranked in the US, with some claiming as good or better than Steadman.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Just a caveat....and I’d be willing to bet most of the steadman guys are good/great.
    But when your neighbor, says Dr. _____ is the best. Take that with the biggest grain of salt there is.
    I’ve seen/heard that comment thrown around about surgeons I wouldn’t let operate on my dog...and I’m not particularly attached to my dog.
    It’s tough, finding someone with first hand knowledge of a surgeons skills, that is willing to tell you the truth. But that’s the referral business.
    There are so many surgeons out there that I really have a hard time grasping how they even made it through the system....

But a place like Steadman, can be so selective, it’s probably as close to a sure bet as there is.

No shit, i listened to my brother! He's a walking surgery scar, so he should know what he's doing. Guess he just got lucky with the guy he sent me to.
    Last edited by capulin overdrive; 07-13-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Dr. Gagliano at Boulder Bone and Joint. Worked with him a while back and was quite impressed with his work. Did his fellowship at Steadies in Vail and is a current US ski team Doc. Knee/shoulder guy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Suggestions should come down to personal experience, not necessarily reputation.
    Here are the guys either I or my wife had direct surgical experience with that resulted in positive outcomes.....

Highly Recommend: Alijani - hand & arm - Advanced Orthopedics (used to be Denver Vail)
    Highly Recommend: Resig - foot - Advanced Orthopedics
    Recommend: Viola - hand & arm - Steadman in Vail
    Despite the reputation, I cannot recommend Corenman at Steadman Vail. Although he performed a very thorough evaluation and found problems with my wife's spine that other surgeons missed, the end result from her procedure left her no better off (possibly worse) and she required another surgery for correction.

I have no recommendation for knees as I have been so far lucky enough to avoid surgery. I have seen Failinger @ Advanced Orthopedics and Lehman @ Panoramic for opinions on my current torn meniscus. I'm considering getting a third opinion as the two guys somewhat conflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Suggestions should come down to personal experience, not necessarily reputation.
    Is not reputation a form of socially aggregated personal experiences? I would argue one should really look at a surgeon's outcomes relative to expected outcomes for that procedure type adjusted for case complexity or severity, but most of the time such metrics simply do not exist in a reliable form.

I think its also worth checking the facility where the procedure will bet done... what are their quality metrics? SSI (surgical site infection) rates?

spine that other surgeons missed, the end result from her procedure left her no better off (possibly worse) and she required another surgery for correction.
    Sorry that happened. I know nothing of her details. It is unfortunately worth noting that with spines, the literature indicates that surgery is not infrequently ineffective and repeats are not rare which is why nonsurgical treatment is tried to exhaustion first. It CAN be effective. It is not so surefire as say putting a rod in a tibia fracture or taking it back out.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23427903
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27142967
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2948294/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19363455
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5106227/

Who did your wife go with for her next surgery? Braxton at VSO is a great surgeon as well from what I've seen, although I don't know any of his patients.
    Last edited by Summit; 07-13-2018 at 09:40 AM.

It sounds like OP is looking for knee, but since this has become a repository for all types of ortho I'll add:

Dr. Conyers at BoulderCentre for Orthopedics for hand/wrist/elbow

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Thanks!

What about the Gal or others in your valley?

And yeah, CU is top ranked in the US, with some claiming as good or better than Steadman.
    Unfortunately, she didn't do a great job with Brittany's knee, it never felt right and only lasted a few years. Brittany went to 6 doctors when she re-repaired that knee and all of them thought the angles were wrong.

When that surgeon came out of surgery, the first thing she said was "23 minutes, new record!".. I was like, WTF? Vidal at CU took hours- he came out and said he was about to wrap it up, but one attachment piece was bugging him, and he really thought a half size smaller was better. Even though the size he wanted was in Aurora and the surgery center was in Lone Tree, he re-did that part of the surgery. Knee revisions are apparently his specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Who did your wife go with for her next surgery? Braxton at VSO is a great surgeon as well from what I've seen, although I don't know any of his patients.
    My wife is a very complicated spinal case. She's had multiple docs in the Denver area. We decided to try something outside the box and go to Vail based on the overwhelming positives about Corenman. We were very impressed with the amount of time he spent on the evaluation, but his technique ended up being the wrong solution. We decided the constant travel to Vail wasn't worth looking at a different doc and found a neurosurgeon in Denver,

Your comment about surgical infection is spot on though. We've been fortunate from the dozens of procedures not to have a complication, but my neighbor had about 15 surgeries on his knee replacement. The guy kept going back to the same surgeon to repeatedly fix the same problem. He ended up getting mrsa twice. I forgot the doc name otherwise I'd post it here as a huge caution: do not use

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Unfortunately, she didn't do a great job with Brittany's knee, it never felt right and only lasted a few years. Brittany went to 6 doctors when she re-repaired that knee and all of them thought the angles were wrong.

When that surgeon came out of surgery, the first thing she said was "23 minutes, new record!".. I was like, WTF? Vidal at CU took hours- he came out and said he was about to wrap it up, but one attachment piece was bugging him, and he really thought a half size smaller was better. Even though the size he wanted was in Aurora and the surgery center was in Lone Tree, he re-did that part of the surgery. Knee revisions are apparently his specialty.

Shame, maybe not now, but Gunni/CB has the potential as medical destination like Steadman in Vail.

Guess you're talking about Armando Vidal? There's also Leslie.

My wife is a very complicated spinal case. She's had multiple docs in the Denver area. We decided to try something outside the box and go to Vail based on the overwhelming positives about Corenman. We were very impressed with the amount of time he spent on the evaluation, but his technique ended up being the wrong solution. We decided the constant travel to Vail wasn't worth looking at a different doc and found a neurosurgeon in Denver,

Your comment about surgical infection is spot on though. We've been fortunate from the dozens of procedures not to have a complication, but my neighbor had about 15 surgeries on his knee replacement. The guy kept going back to the same surgeon to repeatedly fix the same problem. He ended up getting mrsa twice. I forgot the doc name otherwise I'd post it here as a huge caution: do not use

One of the hospitals near me is a death trap for infection.

Always make damn sure where i'm getting butchered. Usually in the little surgical centers the surgeons pool together and make extra cash on.

Shame, maybe not now, but Gunni/CB has the potential as medical destination like Steadman in Vail.

Guess you're talking about Armando Vidal? There's also Leslie.
    Yep, Armando.

dr bronner's.

Clean that shit, don't fail.

You are a fucking idiot, what exact procedure?

Do you have dinner recommendations in the mountain west? We like to eat good food.

One of the hospitals near me is a death trap for infection.

Always make damn sure where i'm getting butchered. Usually in the little surgical centers the surgeons pool together and make extra cash on.
    My neighbor’s infection happened at Skyridge both times. He insisted on going to that hospital for all those procedures because he liked their food. WTF?!?! I repeatedly told him he was in idiot. Never sunk in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My neighbor’s infection happened at Skyridge both times. He insisted on going to that hospital for all those procedures because he liked their food.
    Skyridge does have great food! I loved taking patients there on the ambulance.

You can search and see some quality metrics vs national benchmarks for various hospitals
    https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.html?

FWIW Skyridge appears to not have a reported SSI problem in the dataset displayed by CMS.