Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk me into or out of Dublin Ireland

I've got a lead on a job in Dublin. It would be a sexier job title and more interesting analytical work than I do now, though the money would be no better than a push. If I apply for the gig, my boss would find out (internal move).

I currently live on the outskirts of Park City, so my recreational opportunities would take a step back, but it's hard to tell how far. Does anyone have an informed opinion on Dublin for a weekend warrior outdoor dad type person?

I know nothing of Dublin but it seems like a cool opportunity on the surface. Is there an expiration or would the move potentially be permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I know nothing of Dublin but it seems like a cool opportunity on the surface. Is there an expiration or would the move potentially be permanent?
    No expiration date, but I don't think I'd sell my house in Utah or burn my US passport. It's the sort of role where I'd expect it to last 2-3 years and then move up or out.

I've been there a few times, it's not huge but it's big enough, and the people are generally fairly cool (Dubliners are the most uptight Irish people, but still pretty chill generally). Ryanair would be the ticket for skiing and the flights are short and cheap, so it's obviously harder than it is for you now but not that hard. If it was me I'd do it in a heartbeat but tastes vary obviously.

Nice place to visit, but don't think I would want to live there. That said. for just a few years it would be cool. Roads are pretty bad...narrow two lane roads are the main connections between cites, even the highway from Dublin to Galway is shitty road. A bit of nice hiking north and east, but pretty limited recreational options. Apparently some good surf at times if you got a thick wetsuit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Really cool people, really cool city, very little recreation. It's my favorite city in Europe but I couldn't live there.

I'm in Dublin for a week several times a year for work. I'm not crazy about the city and I'll usually go somewhere else if I have to stay over the weekend. It's probably much more interesting living there with family and friends or as a tourist but for the solo business traveler it's kind of meh.

As others have mentioned, it has potential as a hub for experiencing the rest of Europe.

I'd probably go and try to parley into an EU citizenship. Healthcare yay

Lots of hot looking red heads with large breasts. I say go
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

My wife is considering applying for an internal position in Dublin as well. Probably short-ish term of 2 years or less.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Lots of hot looking red heads with large breasts. I say go
    I'm married to an auburn-haired mick, so no complaints there. The accent is also sexy.

The corp I work for had a division there but we shut it down recently. The boom/bust cycle there is crazy shit. After real estate values dropped off a cliff, the recent boom cycle resulted in some landlords demanding & getting 12 months of rent paid up front.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

The weather will be very different, as in wet and cold in the winters. You will have to fly to ski, which may not work so well depending on your work schedule.
    BUT, it would be a great staging point to travel around the rest of Yurp. In your shoes, I would go for it. My step bro and his wife were in Switzerland for her job and they loved it for traveling. After a few years she landed a great job in Germany. I am surprised they recently came back to the USA, but she missed her family.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I bet it would be awesome for a year.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'd go in a minute.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I'd be all over it. No matter where on planet Earth you go, there is a HUGE difference between visiting as a tourist and living somewhere more long term. I'm a big fan of total immersion. I say go for it. You could love it. You could hate it. But opportunities like that don't come for everybody, and there's only one way to find out how you're going to like it. People also forget that those islands are comically small compared to what we're used to in the US, so you will be able to see a LOT, and not rushed through everything like those silly organized tour groups.

Just be aware of the language barrier

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Just be aware of the language barrier
    I know you're kidding, but my wife can't teach elementary school over there because you need to he fluent in Gaelic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I know you're kidding, but my wife can't teach elementary school over there because you need to he fluent in Gaelic!
    I'd wager there are options for her to teach at private schools without the Gaelic requirement

As someone said, chances like these to experience are not all that common. It's worth it to go even if you end up not liking it

International school or get a private gig teaching American to ironically hip Irish millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    International school or get a private gig teaching American to ironically hip Irish millennials.
    Given that she spends most of her time teaching the children of millennials these days, I think she would be happy to wait tables or work retail if it worked out. She's used to junk pay.

I appreciate the encouragement and positivity. I will get the resume out there.

Given that she spends most of her time teaching the children of millennials these days, I think she would be happy to wait tables or work retail if it worked out. She's used to junk pay.
    Are you certain she is going to be able to get a work visa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You will taste whiskeys you can't get anywhere else. And, it's a whole lot greener than PC.

I spent November 2016 in Portrush, up north on the Causeway Coast, and spent a couple of days in Dublin on the end of the trip. Apart from being less than thrilled about the pneumonia and hernia I had picked up, I enjoyed the city and people. The hotel I was in was close to the business/political center. It amazed me how many people bike commuted. I happened to be walking down a commuting route at 5pm and watched probably 200 people bike by in ten minutes, with head/tail lights and orange vests. People don't move to Ireland for the food, but I had a quite good and interesting Moroccan dinner at Dada, right downtown. I ditto the other comments on how much awesome exploring there is in that area.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

You can do anything for a year. With the close proximity to the Alps and to a lesser degree Scottish/Welsh mountains, I say go for it. You might not ski as much but the skiing you do get is gonna super different than the US. Also, quite a big mountain bike scene in the UK, I bet Ireland is similar. I'd look in to that too.

And the cooking isn't great but my trips to the UK made me appreciate the "full breakfast" after a long night in the pub.