Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 76 to 99 of 99
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Spudlandia
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    All caas are paaked in Haavaad Yaad.
    Just don't forget and leave your caa keis in your kaa keis.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    All caas are paaked in Haavaad Yaad.
    How much do you have to pay?

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    6,954
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    How much do you have to pay?
    I feel like you're going to tell me.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    43,696
    It does feel like the set-up for a punch line.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,094
    You were supposed to say "Noooo, how much?"

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    3,105
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    What happened to Joe's Iceman joke? I thought it was funny

    Looking through the old threads the duck tours are a common thread. I've brought up the idea but I don't know if we're doing it.

    It sounds like now the plan is the get out of town for a day or a day and a night. She's suggested Vermont. Is that really where to go from Boston? What about Maine, that looks close too. We'll have a dog with us and I'm not looking to do any long hikes or anything
    Depends what you want to do. Gloucester is up the coast and a classic old fishing town with Rockport the tourist place next door. Further up is Newburyport and where I am is Portsmouth NH which has become a trendy little port town. The southern coast of ME has a bunch of little cool towns and beaches and then Portland is good size city that is nice with great breweries. The thing with all those places is it's about resturants, bars, and views of the water. There's active stuff (bike, surf, hike) to do in most spots, but depends on what you want to do I guess as where to go. With the select towns, the food and views are somewhat equal up the coast.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,732
    ^this

    Crane’s beach in Ipswich if you can avoid the weekend. Eat in the rough seafood all over there, Essex etc. little parks along the marshland. Bring your bug spray and skin so soft

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    43,696
    Damn, maybe rethink the duck boat thing, geez.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    ^this

    Crane’s beach in Ipswich if you can avoid the weekend. Eat in the rough seafood all over there, Essex etc. little parks along the marshland. Bring your bug spray and skin so soft
    Did this today, the seafood wasn't special but we'll try elsewhere while I'm here. Not sure about the ducks still

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    43,696
    You can probably get a duck boat ticket pretty easily: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/u...-accident.html

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Impossible to knowl--I use an iPhone
    Posts
    11,414
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Did this today, the seafood wasn't special but we'll try elsewhere while I'm here. Not sure about the ducks still
    There are several places well worth checking out around Ipswich. There is some debate about it, but for fried clams you should absolutely try either/both of Farnham's and the Clam Box (Essex). Fried clams may sound kind of pedestrian, but for some reason Ipswich clams are almost bizarrely sumptuous and kind of sweet, while still clammy (in a good way). Blanking on the name of the really big, well known place, but I wouldn't bother--it's very good, but those other two places are better, less touristy, and less expensive (from what I recall). Used to have those things several times a year--planning on going again pretty soon. I've had fried clams all over the place, and really no place compares to what they have around Gloucester.
    [quote][//quote]

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wa wa..tatic
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You can probably get a duck boat ticket pretty easily: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/u...-accident.html
    too soon?

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    There are several places well worth checking out around Ipswich. There is some debate about it, but for fried clams you should absolutely try either/both of Farnham's and the Clam Box (Essex). Fried clams may sound kind of pedestrian, but for some reason Ipswich clams are almost bizarrely sumptuous and kind of sweet, while still clammy (in a good way). Blanking on the name of the really big, well known place, but I wouldn't bother--it's very good, but those other two places are better, less touristy, and less expensive (from what I recall). Used to have those things several times a year--planning on going again pretty soon. I've had fried clams all over the place, and really no place compares to what they have around Gloucester.
    Yup. You’re thinking of Woodman’s, famous for ‘inventing’ the fried clam. It’s not that great. My second, and by far my worst job/work to date was bussing tables / stocking the fry kitchen there as a teenager.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,385
    Fried clams are terribly overrated, especially if you're in the mood for actual seafood. Woodmans is touristy and usually overcrowded but food is good. We had them cater my inlaws 50th anniversary party with a clambake(boil) and everything was awesome.
    The newer restaurant across from woodmans is pretty decent too, though my wife landed a bad oyster there so we're probably never going back.


    Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    43,696
    If you're going fried, scallops are about 10X better than clams in my book.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    4,828
    I've never had fried scallops but that sounds worth trying.

    It sounds like this Treehouse brewery is worth visiting since I'll be over near there today

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,732

    Boston recommendations?

    Yes, expect line-age

    Sorry ya didn’t have the best seafood, hope ya enjoyed Cranes.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Yes, expect line-age

    Sorry ya didn’t have the best seafood, hope ya enjoyed Cranes.
    Right on, we'll be prepared.

    Cranes was nice, it's been a long time since I just sat on the beach and did nothing.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    43,696
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

    Cranes was nice, it's been a long time since I just sat on the beach and did nothing.
    You weren't furiously swatting greenheads? huh

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    4,828
    Not at all. No bug problems at all. Maybe the wind was enough?

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    43,696
    Yeah I don't know, they can be bad there but the wind, plus a late, cold spring..who knows. Glad you didn't have to deal with those bastards, they suck.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,701
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah I don't know, they can be bad there but the wind, plus a late, cold spring..who knows. Glad you didn't have to deal with those bastards, they suck.
    They'll hatch for a bit and then die back. I've been fine at that beach more times than not.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    driving past the Stop and Shop
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    They'll hatch for a bit and then die back. I've been fine at that beach more times than not.
    Likewise, the key is to walk down the beach a half mile or so (further from marsh land where the fuckers hang out also further from the crowds) and stay fairly close to the water line.

    As far as fried clams go the Clam Box is actually in Ipswich. Lines are like Loon on a weekend after a storm. I like Essex Seafood, real hole in the wall, great fresh clams, crowds are reasonable, but the downside is no beer. Sit in the front though unless you want to season your clams with the dust from the unpaved parking lot.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Under the bridge, down by the river
    Posts
    4,558
    I'll add to this--was inspired by this thread a bit to get out of town yesterday. We went to the Peabody Essex museum in Salem. I was blown away--amazing building and a Sally Mann exhibit that was one of the best things I've seen at a museum. Already looking forward to going back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •