Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Boston recommendations?

Evidently my search skills suck today, I thought there were more recent threads about this but several I found are old enough that drinking with advres is mentioned.

I'm going to be in Boston from the 20th to the 24th visiting a friend. My only experience with Boston is looking down from a flight to New York so I have no idea about what to do. We will have a car. And I don't expect this to be my only trip to the city so there's no need to cram everything in this time.

So what do you guys suggest, any events worth knowing about?

It sounds like there's some decent beers around, any bars/brewerys/shops that I can't miss? I could be convinced to bring some WA beers if any of you want anything.

For food I don't need fine dining at all but good places to eat would be appreciated.

This should go 20 pages easily. 10 will refer you to head north to VT.

Drink with Advres.

Where are you staying? How much free time do you have? Do you plan to be in the city the whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Drink with Advres.

Where are you staying? How much free time do you have? Do you plan to be in the city the whole time?
    I think following Frozen on Instagram led to him being a suggested contact. At least the name looked familiar.

I think it's near St Elizabeth's hospital, Brighton?
    All day Friday-Monday and half a day Tuesday.
    I don't have any particular plans about being in the city or not. Just got the tickets so I haven't planned much yet

I always liked South Boston, but I am a bit twisted and enjoy local dive bars. - there are many.

And go see the Aquarium ? it's a good one.

I found the Coastal nice Boston to be kinda bland.
    Last edited by MTT; 07-10-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Get breakfast pastries in the North End. Look for customers with nice leather shoes, those will guide you to the good ones.
    Live Free or Die

Go to the seaport, period.

Buy tickets & catch a show at Blue Hills Pavillion (formerly Harborlights). Go to the Harpoon Brewery in the afternoon, then go to Tony C's (formerly Remy's), Legal Harborside, or Whiskey Priest to pregame the show. After, nosh on lobster rolls at Yankee lobster. If you have another day, go to the Aquarium. Then catch an uber or cab back to the seaport. Hit up Strega or Morton's if you wanna spend some dough, or Babbo's if you don't. Do some of the harbor walk after dinner. Or head over to Fanuel Hall and walk around...

also Search Function JONG

watch the old shirtless wine gut italians play botche ball

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Go to the seaport, period.

Buy tickets & catch a show at Blue Hills Pavillion (formerly Harborlights). Go to the Harpoon Brewery in the afternoon, then go to Tony C's (formerly Remy's), Legal Harborside, or Whiskey Priest to pregame the show. After, nosh on lobster rolls at Yankee lobster. If you have another day, go to the Aquarium. Then catch an uber or cab back to the seaport. Hit up Strega or Morton's if you wanna spend some dough, or Babbo's if you don't. Do some of the harbor walk after dinner. Or head over to Fanuel Hall and walk around...

also Search Function JONG
    Possibly my first JONGing

I did search but I didn't find the two threads I had in mind. Then I decided to be selfish and make this about me

I'll be reading through the other threads tonight

Boston recommendations?

Some fun stuff nearby St E’s-

Coffee- Cafe Nero/Cafenation, Cafe Fixe in Washington Sq Brookline if u fancy

Pubs/bars w Food- deep Ellum in Allston, Publick House in Brookline,

Dive bar/burgers - avenue, Allston

Chinese- shanghai gate allston

Lone star taco bar Allston, Dorado tacos Brookline

Anna’s burrito in Brookline for best food per second waiting ratio

Dates and olives, Brighton for healthy take out

Ramen- pick your yelp review / low line ratio In Allston Village / Coolidge corner.

Take out Thai- New Rod Dee Brookline

Abbey in Washington Square, Brookline for a little more upscale eats and drinks

Tasca for cheap tapas/ Sangree-r

Cambridge Restaurants- Cafe Sushi, Waypoint and Lil Donkey ($$-$$$), Craigie on Main if you want $$$$.

Not food- you’re close to the Charles River which is a great place to go for a walk/run/pedal, Harvard Square isn’t too far away, easy access to Back Bay/ Kenmore / Fenway. Anywhere in Boston by Uber for $25 or less.

+1 for biking/walking, boating whatever to get around. driving around as a native is stressful.

Feel free to PM away
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 07-10-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    ...We will have a car...
    Don't bother, ride THE T.

+1 for Dorados

South Boston is gorgeous.
    Do a BlueBike bike share rental and ride the Cambridge side of the Esplanade.
    Do a kayak rental and paddle the Charles.

I grew up there but a couple years ago we had a big group of out-of-town folks and we took the Duck tour, it was actually cool. You cover some ground and see things from a different perspective, I'm gonna go on record as recommending it. http://www.bostonducktours.com

The city is very compact and walkable. The Back Bay, Kenmore Square, the North End, Faneuil Hall, The Public Gardens, Old Ironsides, Museum of Art, the South End etc. etc. are all within like 2 miles from one end to the other. I'd recommend ditching the car, staying in town, and getting a feel for the place.

There's good food and good beers all over the place, don't get too hung up on one particular thing, just cruise around and check things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Anna’s burrito in Brookline for best food per second waiting ratio.. not food- you’re close to the Charles River which is a great place to go for a walk/run/pedal, Harvard Square isn’t too far away, easy access to Back Bay/ Kenmore / Fenway. Anywhere in Boston by Uber for $25
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Do a BlueBike bike share rental and ride the Cambridge side of the Esplanade.
    Do a kayak rental and paddle the Charles.
    Lotsa good advice. 2nd for Anna's
    Harvard Square is fun, lots to do and see as you walk, tons of good places to eat. I like the Border Cafe. The Sinclair is a good place to catch some live music in Harvard sq, or try Great Scott in Allston if you want to see a band

Drink with Advres
    I heard he was thinking of opening a bar...

+1 for checking if one of your bands is in town

Advres lives in Salem, which is a pretty cool town in its own right and worth a visit if you're up that way.

I grew up there but a couple years ago we had a big group of out-of-town folks and we took the Duck tour, it was actually cool. You cover some ground and see things from a different perspective, I'm gonna go on record as recommending it. http://www.bostonducktours.com
    Seconded. I've been on several. Great every time.

I hate to agree, because theyre the single most touristy thing you can do by far, but I took my first Duck tour last summer and had fun...

Also fun are any of the Harbor Cruises https://www.bostonharborcruises.com/

Oh man you guys have ride the ducks tours too? I don't know if I can bring myself to get on one of those things. I haven't even tried the tours here.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'll dig through this and have more questions later

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Duck tour shit started in Boston, not that it matters, and DJ is right, it's the single most touristy thing you can do. But it's pretty fun.

I will say under duress that the duck tours was fun, but I was holding a flask with my father in law, we finished the night pissing off the lady folk getting down right hammered at cheers (he wanted Norms seat) and took a cab home hours after the ladies. I think I had a good time...... not sure........ circa 2003 when we first moved there, out in 2006.

Touristy as fuck but USS Constitution was cool to check out, better when you have an old salty sailor walking with you. FIL loved it, like a kid in the candy store. Boat ride to/from the aquarium was a nice touch

Since you asked for beer recommendations I vote for the Trillium Beer Garden on the Greenway.

Dinner at Row 34 in the Seaport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Duck tour shit started in Boston, not that it matters, and DJ is right, it's the single most touristy thing you can do. But it's pretty fun.
    If you are new to a town, those types of things can be good activities to get a lay of the land a bit, and bang out all the super touristy spots all at once.

Also better if you're drinking.

I haven't done the Boston one, but I'd love to and then pretend I was part of a Red Sox World Series parade.