Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    How much do you have to pay?
    I feel like you're going to tell me.

It does feel like the set-up for a punch line.

You were supposed to say "Noooo, how much?"

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    What happened to Joe's Iceman joke? I thought it was funny

Looking through the old threads the duck tours are a common thread. I've brought up the idea but I don't know if we're doing it.

It sounds like now the plan is the get out of town for a day or a day and a night. She's suggested Vermont. Is that really where to go from Boston? What about Maine, that looks close too. We'll have a dog with us and I'm not looking to do any long hikes or anything
    Depends what you want to do. Gloucester is up the coast and a classic old fishing town with Rockport the tourist place next door. Further up is Newburyport and where I am is Portsmouth NH which has become a trendy little port town. The southern coast of ME has a bunch of little cool towns and beaches and then Portland is good size city that is nice with great breweries. The thing with all those places is it's about resturants, bars, and views of the water. There's active stuff (bike, surf, hike) to do in most spots, but depends on what you want to do I guess as where to go. With the select towns, the food and views are somewhat equal up the coast.

^this

Crane’s beach in Ipswich if you can avoid the weekend. Eat in the rough seafood all over there, Essex etc. little parks along the marshland. Bring your bug spray and skin so soft

Damn, maybe rethink the duck boat thing, geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    ^this

Crane’s beach in Ipswich if you can avoid the weekend. Eat in the rough seafood all over there, Essex etc. little parks along the marshland. Bring your bug spray and skin so soft
    Did this today, the seafood wasn't special but we'll try elsewhere while I'm here. Not sure about the ducks still

You can probably get a duck boat ticket pretty easily: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/u...-accident.html

Did this today, the seafood wasn't special but we'll try elsewhere while I'm here. Not sure about the ducks still
    There are several places well worth checking out around Ipswich. There is some debate about it, but for fried clams you should absolutely try either/both of Farnham's and the Clam Box (Essex). Fried clams may sound kind of pedestrian, but for some reason Ipswich clams are almost bizarrely sumptuous and kind of sweet, while still clammy (in a good way). Blanking on the name of the really big, well known place, but I wouldn't bother--it's very good, but those other two places are better, less touristy, and less expensive (from what I recall). Used to have those things several times a year--planning on going again pretty soon. I've had fried clams all over the place, and really no place compares to what they have around Gloucester.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You can probably get a duck boat ticket pretty easily: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/u...-accident.html
    too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    There are several places well worth checking out around Ipswich. There is some debate about it, but for fried clams you should absolutely try either/both of Farnham's and the Clam Box (Essex). Fried clams may sound kind of pedestrian, but for some reason Ipswich clams are almost bizarrely sumptuous and kind of sweet, while still clammy (in a good way). Blanking on the name of the really big, well known place, but I wouldn't bother--it's very good, but those other two places are better, less touristy, and less expensive (from what I recall). Used to have those things several times a year--planning on going again pretty soon. I've had fried clams all over the place, and really no place compares to what they have around Gloucester.
    Yup. You’re thinking of Woodman’s, famous for ‘inventing’ the fried clam. It’s not that great. My second, and by far my worst job/work to date was bussing tables / stocking the fry kitchen there as a teenager.

Fried clams are terribly overrated, especially if you're in the mood for actual seafood. Woodmans is touristy and usually overcrowded but food is good. We had them cater my inlaws 50th anniversary party with a clambake(boil) and everything was awesome.
    The newer restaurant across from woodmans is pretty decent too, though my wife landed a bad oyster there so we're probably never going back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

If you're going fried, scallops are about 10X better than clams in my book.

I've never had fried scallops but that sounds worth trying.

It sounds like this Treehouse brewery is worth visiting since I'll be over near there today

Boston recommendations?

Yes, expect line-age

Sorry ya didn’t have the best seafood, hope ya enjoyed Cranes.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Yes, expect line-age

Sorry ya didn’t have the best seafood, hope ya enjoyed Cranes.
    Right on, we'll be prepared.

Cranes was nice, it's been a long time since I just sat on the beach and did nothing.

Cranes was nice, it's been a long time since I just sat on the beach and did nothing.
    You weren't furiously swatting greenheads? huh

Not at all. No bug problems at all. Maybe the wind was enough?

Yeah I don't know, they can be bad there but the wind, plus a late, cold spring..who knows. Glad you didn't have to deal with those bastards, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah I don't know, they can be bad there but the wind, plus a late, cold spring..who knows. Glad you didn't have to deal with those bastards, they suck.
    They'll hatch for a bit and then die back. I've been fine at that beach more times than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    They'll hatch for a bit and then die back. I've been fine at that beach more times than not.
    Likewise, the key is to walk down the beach a half mile or so (further from marsh land where the fuckers hang out also further from the crowds) and stay fairly close to the water line.

As far as fried clams go the Clam Box is actually in Ipswich. Lines are like Loon on a weekend after a storm. I like Essex Seafood, real hole in the wall, great fresh clams, crowds are reasonable, but the downside is no beer. Sit in the front though unless you want to season your clams with the dust from the unpaved parking lot.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

I'll add to this--was inspired by this thread a bit to get out of town yesterday. We went to the Peabody Essex museum in Salem. I was blown away--amazing building and a Sally Mann exhibit that was one of the best things I've seen at a museum. Already looking forward to going back.

I need an outdoor lunch spot in the city, preferably with a bit of funky feel. Going to the ICA, but anywhere in town works. Anybody got a good spot?

Can you live wo hard booze? Walking distance from ICA and huge roof deck.
    https://www.trilliumbrewing.com/locations/fort-point

Trillium Brewing Company was named the third best brewer in the world in 2019

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/resta...9-new-england/

Third floor has a lounge vibe to it. Only open for lunch on weekends it appears. First floor is basic fried seafood but sweet outdoor area. Not funky though
    https://www.legalseafoods.com/restau...ide-floor-3-40